Sennheiser HD 700 Impressions Thread
Mar 15, 2016 at 6:29 PM Post #6,031 of 9,298
  I found the HD650 to not be comfy since the plastic headband has a fixed curvature which simply doesn't fit my head and looks like I would have a similar problem with the 700s

There are many headband covers out there that might help you.

Mar 15, 2016 at 7:23 PM Post #6,032 of 9,298
  I agree I like the fact that they are the most light headphones I ever used, coming from the HE-500's that made it feel like I was lifting weights with my head. These almost feel like your not wearing any headphones.

Throw my hat in too for the 700 comfort level. I thought it was all hype until a got a pair. I'm amazed at how light and comfortable they are. Far better then both my Audio Technica ATH M50 & M50X, and my Bose QC 25's.  Granted, none of those might be considered high end phones but still.

Mar 15, 2016 at 8:11 PM Post #6,033 of 9,298
  Throw my hat in too for the 700 comfort level. I thought it was all hype until a got a pair. I'm amazed at how light and comfortable they are. Far better then both my Audio Technica ATH M50 & M50X, and my Bose QC 25's.  Granted, none of those might be considered high end phones but still.

Agreed. I give the HD-700s a 9/10 for comfort. For 10/10 for comfort, IMO, try the AQ NightHawk.

Mar 15, 2016 at 10:06 PM Post #6,034 of 9,298

Agreed. I give the HD-700s a 9/10 for comfort. For 10/10 for comfort, IMO, try the AQ NightHawk.

Yep. Never tried the Nighthawks, but the HD700s are amazing for me. And, honestly, I generally prefer a single headband ( easier to lie back with them on ) so I'd probably personal prefer them over the Nighthawks. Curious to try them, though! 

Mar 15, 2016 at 11:06 PM Post #6,035 of 9,298

Yep. Never tried the Nighthawks, but the HD700s are amazing for me. And, honestly, I generally prefer a single headband ( easier to lie back with them on ) so I'd probably personal prefer them over the Nighthawks. Curious to try them, though! 

Ah... I didn't think of that use case. Good one.

Mar 16, 2016 at 6:10 AM Post #6,037 of 9,298

Any comments on a sound comparison between these two?
I imagine they are very different but I feel either one of these will be my next purchase.
I tend to love polarizing headphones and these two seem to get incredibly mixed reviews.

Cheers.

Mar 16, 2016 at 11:39 PM Post #6,038 of 9,298
  Any comments on a sound comparison between these two?
I imagine they are very different but I feel either one of these will be my next purchase.
I tend to love polarizing headphones and these two seem to get incredibly mixed reviews.

Cheers.

They are night-and-day different, but I love them both. I love the HD-700 'phones for classical, some jazz (e.g. bebop, stuff without vocals), because of their clarity and imaging/soundstage.

For the NightHawks, classic rock sounds really nice, as does metal (I was surprised by that, but these are my new metal cans).

For acoustic guitar and male vocals, like Folk Rock, it's Grado all the way.

For female vocals, some jazz, it's HD-650.

Maybe that helps you pick. Beware, though, the comments about acclimating to the NightHawks is real - it took me some time to love 'em.

Mar 17, 2016 at 3:03 AM Post #6,039 of 9,298
My hd700 earpad has been broken, anyone know where can I get a new one? Maybe not the original one, OEM will do.

Thanks

Mar 17, 2016 at 3:23 AM Post #6,040 of 9,298
Picked these up a couple of weeks ago, fell in love demoing in Richersounds and bought the demo set at a significant discount.
Had heard about the treble issues, tried these a while back and didn't hear it , still dont but my ears only reach 15khz.
I have paired them with an Aune T1 and my AK Jr, the AK was a surprise as it drives them really well and not just volume, the sound is detailed,bass is tight, deep and the treble is nicely controlled without any splashyness.
The Jr puts out 2 vrms, and between 55-60/75 is perfect for these ears. Makes for a nice office setup.
Overall very happy, makes my MDR-MA900 redundant and I love those cans!

Mar 17, 2016 at 5:36 AM Post #6,041 of 9,298

They are night-and-day different, but I love them both. I love the HD-700 'phones for classical, some jazz (e.g. bebop, stuff without vocals), because of their clarity and imaging/soundstage.

For the NightHawks, classic rock sounds really nice, as does metal (I was surprised by that, but these are my new metal cans).

For acoustic guitar and male vocals, like Folk Rock, it's Grado all the way.

For female vocals, some jazz, it's HD-650.

Maybe that helps you pick. Beware, though, the comments about acclimating to the NightHawks is real - it took me some time to love 'em.

Thank you for your impressions. Money permitting I am tempted to pick up both over the next few months. The HD700 is considerably cheaper at the moment so that will likely be my first choice. 

I am a little worried that neither will get much headtime with the HD800 and TH900 around but I am hoping they will offer something different enough to be tempting.

I alsway stayed away from Grado's because they look so damn uncomfortable but I listen to a lot of male vocal and acoustic stuff so maybe I will come around to them. The main problem is the only ones I really like the look of are the PS1000e's and they are super expensive in the UK. Way more than I would ever spend.

Cheers.

Mar 17, 2016 at 6:26 AM Post #6,042 of 9,298
  Thank you for your impressions. Money permitting I am tempted to pick up both over the next few months. The HD700 is considerably cheaper at the moment so that will likely be my first choice. 

I am a little worried that neither will get much headtime with the HD800 and TH900 around but I am hoping they will offer something different enough to be tempting.

I alsway stayed away from Grado's because they look so damn uncomfortable but I listen to a lot of male vocal and acoustic stuff so maybe I will come around to them. The main problem is the only ones I really like the look of are the PS1000e's and they are super expensive in the UK. Way more than I would ever spend.

Cheers.

The comfort issue with Grado's is something some are ok with while others will never got comfortable with.  It took me a month or so to get used to the RS2e "L" pads, now I can use them for a few hours at a time.

I actually don't use my HD-800 and TH-600 as much as the HD-700, HD-650, SennGrado and HE-560, it comes down to what is your preference and genres that you listen to most that will probably determine which headphone you will use.  One of the best uses of the HD-700 is for watch in movies, easy to drive and with a fairly wide sound stage.  My GF also use them everyday while she walks the dog, they are open enough so that she is aware of her surroundings and can be driven with a Fiio X3 quite well.

Mar 17, 2016 at 8:54 AM Post #6,043 of 9,298
  The comfort issue with Grado's is something some are ok with while others will never got comfortable with.  It took me a month or so to get used to the RS2e "L" pads, now I can use them for a few hours at a time.

I actually don't use my HD-800 and TH-600 as much as the HD-700, HD-650, SennGrado and HE-560, it comes down to what is your preference and genres that you listen to most that will probably determine which headphone you will use.  One of the best uses of the HD-700 is for watch in movies, easy to drive and with a fairly wide sound stage.  My GF also use them everyday while she walks the dog, they are open enough so that she is aware of her surroundings and can be driven with a Fiio X3 quite well.

Thanks for the update. I look forward to trying these out and will give them a blast with movies for sure.

Cheers.

Mar 17, 2016 at 8:59 AM Post #6,044 of 9,298

Cheers.

Acknowledging @DavidA's comment, if you already have an '800, I would skip the HD-700 (they are very similar, IMO). Whereas the NightHawks may serve as a nice complimentary headphone.

For the Grado, it's my opinion that they all have a similar sound signature and the differences are somewhat incremental (e.g. the GS1000 sounds like am RS2, but with a bigger soundstage and little more clarity). Save yourself a LOT of money and start for the new 325e - highly regarded on the Grado thread and a great price. If you really like them, you can try some more expensive models, later.

Mar 17, 2016 at 11:08 AM Post #6,045 of 9,298

Acknowledging @DavidA's comment, if you already have an '800, I would skip the HD-700 (they are very similar, IMO). Whereas the NightHawks may serve as a nice complimentary headphone.

For the Grado, it's my opinion that they all have a similar sound signature and the differences are somewhat incremental (e.g. the GS1000 sounds like am RS2, but with a bigger soundstage and little more clarity). Save yourself a LOT of money and start for the new 325e - highly regarded on the Grado thread and a great price. If you really like them, you can try some more expensive models, later.

Thank you for your comments. That was my original train of thought but I am becoming a bit of a Sennheiser fanboy. 

The place I am hoping to demo the Nighthawks actually has a 325e on sale. I will try them as well and, if you can purchase the larger earpads for them, I may be tempted.

Cheers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back