Sennheiser HD 700 Impressions Thread
Mar 10, 2016 at 8:10 PM Post #6,016 of 9,298
  I might go try the Ether sometime, but for now I am content with what I have. That is unless you'd let me borrow yours :wink:

I know the Ethers are his own design, which is pretty damn cool. Going from modding headphone, to making your own. That's really cool.

I think this thread has been derailed enough though. Back to the HD700 discussion.

Well said. I'm going to CanJam next week so I might like the HD 800S better who knows.

Mar 10, 2016 at 11:01 PM Post #6,017 of 9,298

I'd agree he didn't listen/test it long enough, but even if he gave it more time, the sound wouldn't change at all. I've had my HD700 since June and it sounds exactly the same as it did when I got it. In the 8 years I've been in this hoddy, there has never been one headphone that sounded different after extended use.

I'm one of the people who think burn in is just hokus pokus, but to each their own.

I'm like you and don't believe in burn-in but there is one headphones that has me questioning this, my EL8 open, went from dark to dark/neutral after 50 hours, neutral after 100+ and then neutral/warm after 200+.  This is the only time I've experienced this so it could be just a freak incident.

I do believe in tube burn-in as many/most NOS ones have changed over the first 20 hours.

I haven't noticed any change with my HD-700, if there was any change it was so slight or so slow that it was not noticeable.

PS: tried the Ether last year, really liked the look but was disappointed in the sound, a little bass lite for a planar and the highs didn't have the crisp clean sparkle like a HD-800 or T1.

Mar 11, 2016 at 11:09 PM Post #6,018 of 9,298
  I'm like you and don't believe in burn-in but there is one headphones that has me questioning this, my EL8 open, went from dark to dark/neutral after 50 hours, neutral after 100+ and then neutral/warm after 200+.  This is the only time I've experienced this so it could be just a freak incident.

I do believe in tube burn-in as many/most NOS ones have changed over the first 20 hours.

I haven't noticed any change with my HD-700, if there was any change it was so slight or so slow that it was not noticeable.

PS: tried the Ether last year, really liked the look but was disappointed in the sound, a little bass lite for a planar and the highs didn't have the crisp clean sparkle like a HD-800 or T1.

I think too many people are too use to headphones that are too bass heavy. I think most people want bass when there isn't any. The Ether-C's can thump when needed . The 700's are light compared to the C's. 

Mar 12, 2016 at 1:20 AM Post #6,019 of 9,298
  I think too many people are too use to headphones that are too bass heavy. I think most people want bass when there isn't any. The Ether-C's can thump when needed . The 700's are light compared to the C's. 

Should have clarified the bass lite comment was open Ether.

Mar 13, 2016 at 8:27 PM Post #6,021 of 9,298
  Is the top part of the headband bendable? (the portion that touches the head, not the extension arms) or is it completely rigid like the HD650/600?

It has some flex to it but not much.

Mar 13, 2016 at 8:32 PM Post #6,023 of 9,298
  Shame because they probably won't be comfortable for me, thanks for response still.

I find them very comfy and I don't have a real small head.

Mar 13, 2016 at 8:55 PM Post #6,025 of 9,298
I never heard anyone say the 700's weren't comfortable.

Mar 14, 2016 at 1:12 AM Post #6,026 of 9,298
  I never heard anyone say the 700's weren't comfortable.

It's not that they aren't comfortable (they are REALLY comfortable). It is just that the curvature is made for bigger heads (pretty wide curve). I have a small head, and I can't bend down without them slipping off my head. I don't find this to be a deal breaker though. If I am wanting to move around, I just put a hat on, and the band holds much better.

Mar 14, 2016 at 4:15 AM Post #6,027 of 9,298
  I found the HD650 to not be comfy since the plastic headband has a fixed curvature which simply doesn't fit my head and looks like I would have a similar problem with the 700s

I think the HD-700 provides a better fit than the HD-650 due to the way the ear cups pivot and the headband does not have a fix curvature it flexes quite a bit more than the HD-650 headband.  My GF is 5-1 and she loves the HD-700 and uses it everyday while walking the dog.

Mar 14, 2016 at 5:02 AM Post #6,028 of 9,298
I have never heard anyone complain about the comfort of the HD 700's, even those that have bashed its sound signature.  They are easily one of the most comfortable headphones that I've ever used.  I often use them over my LCD-X's when not doing critical listening just because they are 1000x more comfortable, and I can live with the small drop in sound quality.

Mar 14, 2016 at 7:36 AM Post #6,029 of 9,298
I agree I like the fact that they are the most light headphones I ever used, coming from the HE-500's that made it feel like I was lifting weights with my head. These almost feel like your not wearing any headphones.

Mar 14, 2016 at 8:47 AM Post #6,030 of 9,298
Yep, I went from the HE400 to HD700, it's one heck of a difference in comfort!  While I still have the HE400...  I almost never use it these days, kind of a shame it's going to waste.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back