Sennheiser HD 700 Impressions Thread
Jan 16, 2016 at 8:48 PM Post #5,701 of 9,298
Today I stopped at an audio store nearby and tried out some headphones. I tried and loved the PS500 (i version, not e) and I'm very much considering getting it. Can anyone do a quick comparison of the HD700 to the PS500? I'll be deciding what to get within the next couple months and I unfortunately won't be able to try the HD700.

Jan 16, 2016 at 9:00 PM Post #5,702 of 9,298
  I'm the opposite in my opinion. HD700 is great for rock and not good for electronic music or rap. I do agree it excels at classical and jazz.

I have to agree ACDC out of my QP1R into the 700's is really good to me. I don't do rap or much EDM so I can't talk to that.

Jan 17, 2016 at 9:24 AM Post #5,703 of 9,298
  Today I stopped at an audio store nearby and tried out some headphones. I tried and loved the PS500 (i version, not e) and I'm very much considering getting it. Can anyone do a quick comparison of the HD700 to the PS500? I'll be deciding what to get within the next couple months and I unfortunately won't be able to try the HD700.

Have (and love) them both
smily_headphones1.gif

Both are keepers for me (will sell my MDR-Z7 one of these days) and it's very hard to pick one.
I think the PS500 has a bit more ''natural'' sound signature. While HD700 has a slightly wider soundstage.

What I also like about my PS500 is that I can use it with both L-pads (more dynamic sound with heavier bass) and G-pads (more comfortable and wider soundstage => 2 headphones for the price of 1
wink.gif

Regarding the ''HD650 for rock'' advise. I auditioned the HD650, HD700 and HD800 at the same time and I wasn't impressed with the HD650 (tried many genres) myself. Imo the HD700 (and HD800) clearly performed on a higher level...

Jan 17, 2016 at 12:12 PM Post #5,704 of 9,298
Have (and love) them both :)

Regarding the ''HD650 for rock'' advise. I auditioned the HD650, HD700 and HD800 at the same time and I wasn't impressed with the HD650 (tried many genres) myself. Imo the HD700 (and HD800) clearly performed on a higher level...

You can't just audition the 650... You have to live with it to appreciate it's qualities. For a lot of music, it's a far superior set of cans to the HD-700, though I love both of them.

Jan 17, 2016 at 12:17 PM Post #5,705 of 9,298
l guess, as usually, it's a matter of taste. Having said that, today, l decided to sell my HD-700. l just hardly ever use them and, when l do, l quickly go and reach another HP (like HD-650). l guess, at this stage of my life l prefer warmer sound. 

Now, just to make the point: l do find the HD-700 a great HP, it's just that it doesn't 'gain me over', so to say.

Jan 17, 2016 at 1:26 PM Post #5,706 of 9,298
  l guess, as usually, it's a matter of taste. Having said that, today, l decided to sell my HD-700. l just hardly ever use them and, when l do, l quickly go and reach another HP (like HD-650). l guess, at this stage of my life l prefer warmer sound. 

Now, just to make the point: l do find the HD-700 a great HP, it's just that it doesn't 'gain me over', so to say.

That's ok, I hear it the other way around and prefer the 700 over the 650. 

Jan 17, 2016 at 5:34 PM Post #5,709 of 9,298
Hello guys, a newbie here, i'm planning to buy HD700 soon with budget of below GBP400 for the AMP/DAC. For now I'm using HD598 which powered by my PC motherboard audio source. I really like the comfort and SQ of HD598 and found that HD700 is even more comfortable. After read this thread quite awhile, I understand that HD700 will provide better SQ by pairing with tube amp. However, as a newbie, I'm trying to avoid tube amp and lean toward solid state amp. After surveyed quite awhile, I'm planning to take Schiit Magni/Modi 2U stack. Is there any other better options for that budget? It will just stay on my table, so portability is not an issue. My main usage is on gaming, movie, and music.

Thanks in advance!

Jan 17, 2016 at 7:04 PM Post #5,710 of 9,298
HD700 powered by a solid state amp is not really a problem imo. The M/M stack would serve u well and be enough of an upgrade coming from a PC audio source.

Don't think too much into it. Just get it, plug it in and be pleasantly surprised at how improved your familiar songs suddenly become :))

Jan 17, 2016 at 8:14 PM Post #5,711 of 9,298
I agree solid state is fine for the 700's. Still waiting on my Valhalla 2 for the tube sound. They sound just fine on my Cavalli Liquid Carbon  thru a Teac UD-301 . They also sound great from the QP1R also.

Jan 17, 2016 at 11:10 PM Post #5,712 of 9,298
I don't think that lumping all solid-state and all tube amps together isn't a good way of looking at this.  Yes, there are general characteristics of each, but there is also a pretty big variety in sound signatures from both as well.

I mainly use a tube amp (Woo Audio WA7) with my HD 700's, but my Grace m920's built-in solid-state amp works quite well also.  One of the best amps that I've ever heard with the HD 800's, which are even more amp-picky than the HD 700's and often come with tube amp recommendations, is the HeadAmp GS-X MkII, which is a solid-state amp.

That said, I do think that tubes tend to pair very well with Sennheisers, but I would not completely ignore solid-state amps.

Jan 18, 2016 at 5:58 AM Post #5,713 of 9,298
Thanks for the guidance guys. Really appreciate it. Makes me more convinced to go for the schiit stack.

I don't think that lumping all solid-state and all tube amps together isn't a good way of looking at this.  Yes, there are general characteristics of each, but there is also a pretty big variety in sound signatures from both as well.

I mainly use a tube amp (Woo Audio WA7) with my HD 700's, but my Grace m920's built-in solid-state amp works quite well also.  One of the best amps that I've ever heard with the HD 800's, which are even more amp-picky than the HD 700's and often come with tube amp recommendations, is the HeadAmp GS-X MkII, which is a solid-state amp.

That said, I do think that tubes tend to pair very well with Sennheisers, but I would not completely ignore solid-state amps.

Yup, that's what I've been reading on this thread too, some solid state amp provide good SQ to HD700. But for M&M stack mostly said it makes the HD700 too bright. Although as a newbie I don't even know how's that sound yet. Whatever it is, coming from onboard audio source to HD700 & schiit stack will be totally upgrade, so i guess it doesn't matter too much. Thanks!

Jan 18, 2016 at 1:15 PM Post #5,714 of 9,298
  Thanks for the guidance guys. Really appreciate it. Makes me more convinced to go for the schiit stack.

Yup, that's what I've been reading on this thread too, some solid state amp provide good SQ to HD700. But for M&M stack mostly said it makes the HD700 too bright. Although as a newbie I don't even know how's that sound yet. Whatever it is, coming from onboard audio source to HD700 & schiit stack will be totally upgrade, so i guess it doesn't matter too much. Thanks!

I have no complaints with my 2 week-old HD700's plugged into my week and a half-old Valhalla 2 / Bifrost stack.  Gotta say that Val makes a nice hand warmer too!

Jan 18, 2016 at 5:02 PM Post #5,715 of 9,298

I have no complaints with my 2 week-old HD700's plugged into my week and a half-old Valhalla 2 / Bifrost stack.  Gotta say that Val makes a nice hand warmer too!

The Lyr2 and Asgard2 are also good hand/space warmers, here in Hawaii I really don't need any extra heat
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back