Sennheiser HD 700 Impressions Thread
May 30, 2015 at 3:57 PM Post #4,036 of 9,298
  And the Crack + Speedball does for the HD800 what the Ember does for the HD700?

For me it does
L3000.gif

Note: I still have not installed the speedball, I like the sound as it is now so I may get another Crack to install the speedball kit that I have, still in the non-committed state here.

May 30, 2015 at 5:04 PM Post #4,037 of 9,298

For me it does
L3000.gif

Note: I still have not installed the speedball, I like the sound as it is now so I may get another Crack to install the speedball kit that I have, still in the non-committed state here.

You have way too much disposable income. Did you hit the lottery or recently retire or something? 
tongue.gif

It's a good thing because you're providing valuable feedback between many headphones that people have questions for. Unlike many others who only criticize headphones they've barely or never tried (with amps that don't pair well)... or fanboy over their favorite headphones. You actually own many of these headphones with various amps that pair well with them. Thank you for sharing your thoughts on basically the entire Sennheiser HD lineup, along with other headphones from other brands.

May 30, 2015 at 5:24 PM Post #4,038 of 9,298
  You have way too much disposable income. Did you hit the lottery or recently retire or something? 
tongue.gif

It's a good thing because you're providing valuable feedback between many headphones that people have questions for. Unlike many others who only criticize headphones they've barely or never tried (with amps that don't pair well)... or fanboy over their favorite headphones, you actually own many of these headphones with various amps that pair well with them. Thank you for sharing your thoughts on basically the entire Sennheiser HD lineup, along with other headphones from other brands.

Thanks for the compliment, I've been helped by many on these forums, just wanted to repay the info that I have gained from others before me.
Much of my disposable income is from my girlfriend (hit the lottery with her), she has funded a few of my gear (second HE-560, Project Ember, Teac UD-301, TH-600 and K7XX) since she also loves music.  I took an early retirement last year and yes there was a bonus but I will not collect my retirement for a few more years since I don't want to get penalized with a reduced amount for being too young.  I was working as a bartender and chef for a few months after I retired so had additional income from that until the bar was sold.  Starting helping care for a friend who had a stroke and needed 24/7 attention so a little more income (it was almost as much as my old engineering job but also had some great benefits since his wife is the owner of 2 bars where I could eat and drink whatever I wanted), sadly he passed away in March so back to being semi-retired again.

Hope you are having a great weekend, its going to be hot here in Hawaii this weekend, got the AC on from 5am and having the Crack and Lyr2 as personal space heaters don't help either.

May 30, 2015 at 6:14 PM Post #4,039 of 9,298
46 degrees very windy and rainy here in Chicago. But it's a good day for listening to great headphones.

May 30, 2015 at 7:01 PM Post #4,042 of 9,298
I got the 700's for a ridiculously low price of £200. To me they don't feel anywhere close to being worth what their original RRP was and the HD800's seem overpriced as well.

HD900 pricing if they ever bring such a headphone out will have a ridiculous price tag.

May 30, 2015 at 7:21 PM Post #4,043 of 9,298
  What's the next logical upgrade step from HD700's? I need a goal to aim towards for the future.

Good question, for me its a SR-009 or maybe the new Ether.  I've heard the SR-009 and 007 at a friends house in Japan so I know how great they sounded but haven't been able to hear the Ether or HE-1000.

May 30, 2015 at 7:53 PM Post #4,044 of 9,298
  Good question, for me its a SR-009 or maybe the new Ether.  I've heard the SR-009 and 007 at a friends house in Japan so I know how great they sounded but haven't been able to hear the Ether or HE-1000.

Going from sub-$1k to $3k+. I like your thinking.

May 30, 2015 at 7:55 PM Post #4,045 of 9,298
  I got the 700's for a ridiculously low price of £200. To me they don't feel anywhere close to being worth what their original RRP was and the HD800's seem overpriced as well.

HD900 pricing if they ever bring such a headphone out will have a ridiculous price tag.

The only part that feels very premium is the cable, imo. The grilles are dentable with your finger like a plastic bottle...

May 30, 2015 at 9:14 PM Post #4,046 of 9,298

How did you get them for that?

May 30, 2015 at 9:18 PM Post #4,048 of 9,298
  No they would not be enough for the hd700's. However, if you plan on buying a higher end source and amp in the future, then they could suffice. If the e17 would be your end all, then highly recommend you don't buy it. 

Yeah it would just be temporary, since I already own it and use it as a DAC and to occasionally pair with my 598's

May 30, 2015 at 10:10 PM Post #4,049 of 9,298
What's the next logical upgrade step from HD700's? I need a goal to aim towards for the future.

Since owning the HD700's I've had the Audeze LCD-X, HiFiMan HE-560 and Fostex TH900 in my system and none of those were a step up sonically or comfortwise.

May 30, 2015 at 10:13 PM Post #4,050 of 9,298

I listened to the Ether and HE-1000 a lot at the Axpona show last month. The Ether seemed very dark but was really comfortable. The HE-1000 sounded fantastic, possibly the best yet. Hard to be sure under show conditions though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back