Sennheiser HD 700 Impressions Thread
Jan 7, 2014 at 10:30 PM Post #1,006 of 9,298
Actually the gap between a DAC and cables is pretty big too IMO. Then again I don't put much stock in cables.
wink.gif

Power I definitely believe in though.

Jan 8, 2014 at 10:00 AM Post #1,008 of 9,298
Not sure if this was posted yet anywhere, or where here on the forums this should be posted.
Posted here at this forum because I subscribe to this Sennheiser thread.

FYI Sennheiser at 2014 CES

http://www.digitaltrends.com/home-theater/sennheiser-unveils-goodies-ces-2014/

Jan 8, 2014 at 10:38 AM Post #1,010 of 9,298
Not sure if this was posted yet anywhere, or where here on the forums this should be posted.

Well, it doesn't mention any audiophile headphones, let alone HD700's or anything relating to HD700's so....thanks?

Jan 8, 2014 at 10:47 AM Post #1,011 of 9,298

It has been posted, and there's really nothing of importance there. Unless you're in the market for a gaming headset or a different color Momentum. Was hoping for the HD 659 or HD 750
tongue_smile.gif

Jan 8, 2014 at 2:49 PM Post #1,012 of 9,298
I recently demoed the HD 700 and almost immediately rushed out to purchase one for myself. It's amp and dac decision time. Here's some of the details I'm looking at.

1. Will be running the HD 700 off of my home computer.
  2. Currently have a Fiio E09K and E07K that is running my HD 600, HE-400, and SR325is.
  3. Will need preouts since I use an external 2.1 system from time to time.
  4. Not looking to change the signature very much. Just power it properly.
  5. 1/4 in input
  6. Flexibility is more important than something so incredibly specific to the HD 700. I would like to still run my HD 600, SR325is, and others on it without too much fuss.
  7. Not entirely certain on a budget, but if it's worth it, I would consider it. I know I'm asking a lot, but a cheaper solution would be better for right now.

So I immediately thought Asgard 2 and Modi, but I read a lot in this thread that the Mangi/Modi make them far too bright. Would like some validation on that. I personally like bright headphones as long as it's a quality treble. I thought maybe my current E09K/E07K may be ok, but I don't know.

Thoughts?

Jan 8, 2014 at 4:02 PM Post #1,013 of 9,298
For a budget DAC, I would suggest Cambridge Audio DACmagic and Musical Fidelity V-DACII.  IMHO, these will beat anything under 500 bucks and they both have very smooth tubelike quality to them, especially the MF V-DACII....also heard the V90 is great and it's cheap.  For amp, I don't have much experience, but I can say that my Burson Soloist is ridiculously good with HD700's.  Also has more than enough power to drive your HD600's, 700's, and maybe Planars and Orthos in the future.  Good luck and have fun.  Oh, and congratulations on some sweet headphones!  

Jan 8, 2014 at 4:08 PM Post #1,014 of 9,298
  For a budget DAC, I would suggest Cambridge Audio DACmagic and Musical Fidelity V-DACII.  IMHO, these will beat anything under 500 bucks and they both have very smooth tubelike quality to them, especially the MF V-DACII....also heard the V90 is great and it's cheap.  For amp, I don't have much experience, but I can say that my Burson Soloist is ridiculously good with HD700's - very smooth and analogue-like sound.  Also has more than enough power to drive your HD600's, 700's, and maybe Planars and Orthos in the future.  Good luck and have fun.  Oh, and congratulations on some sweet headphones!  

Thanks for the feedback. When I read things like "smooth" or "analogue-like", it makes me kinda cringe. What I don't want to do is take anything away from the neutral, analytical, sparkly signature from the HD 700 or make anything less spacious and detailed. Those, quite frankly, are the things that make me hard for this can. When I'm in the mood for that, that's when the HD 600 comes out. It's about as warm of a can that I can enjoy. When reading that, would you alter your recommendations?

Jan 8, 2014 at 4:20 PM Post #1,015 of 9,298
Thanks for the feedback. When I read things like "smooth" or "analogue-like", it makes me kinda cringe. What I don't want to do is take anything away from the neutral, analytical, sparkly signature from the HD 700 or make anything less spacious and detailed. Those, quite frankly, are the things that make me hard for this can. When I'm in the mood for that, that's when the HD 600 comes out. It's about as warm of a can that I can enjoy. When reading that, would you alter your recommendations?

I wouldn't alter my recommendation st all. Sounds like you're a neutral kinda guy and I'm more of a euphonic audiophile kinda guy. I've never heard a "neutral" headphone or speaker that I didn't despise. For example, I love hd700s because they are far from neutral...it's what makes them exciting sounding and the. Hd800 are pretty much ruler flat and they have no soul. To each his own. In the end, hifi is about synergy...finding just the right piece of gear to match and create harmony. HD700s is a wild horse with lotsa energy and have some crazy peaky frequencies and need associated gear that compliments these qualities. SYnergy, bro.

Jan 8, 2014 at 4:35 PM Post #1,016 of 9,298
  I recently demoed the HD 700 and almost immediately rushed out to purchase one for myself. It's amp and dac decision time. Here's some of the details I'm looking at.

1. Will be running the HD 700 off of my home computer.
  2. Currently have a Fiio E09K and E07K that is running my HD 600, HE-400, and SR325is.
  3. Will need preouts since I use an external 2.1 system from time to time.
  4. Not looking to change the signature very much. Just power it properly.
  5. 1/4 in input
  6. Flexibility is more important than something so incredibly specific to the HD 700. I would like to still run my HD 600, SR325is, and others on it without too much fuss.
  7. Not entirely certain on a budget, but if it's worth it, I would consider it. I know I'm asking a lot, but a cheaper solution would be better for right now.

So I immediately thought Asgard 2 and Modi, but I read a lot in this thread that the Mangi/Modi make them far too bright. Would like some validation on that. I personally like bright headphones as long as it's a quality treble. I thought maybe my current E09K/E07K may be ok, but I don't know.

Thoughts?

I use mine with a  CEntrance DACmini.  I believe it is along the same lines as the DACMagic.  There are 2 models, one comes with a power amp for speakers, and the other just powers the headphones.  I have the latter, as I have powered speakers for my desktop.  To my ears, this amp is about as neutral as you can get.  There is loads of power for the HD700, and I can damn near use the headphones as speakers when plugged into this thing.  It is quite compact, looks good (I got mine in black), and very easy to use.  CEntrance's USB implementation is one of the best on the market.  I am quite happy with mine, and don't forsee myself looking to upgrade this any time soon.

Jan 8, 2014 at 4:46 PM Post #1,017 of 9,298

I use mine with a  CEntrance DACmini.  I believe it is along the same lines as the DACMagic.  There are 2 models, one comes with a power amp for speakers, and the other just powers the headphones.  I have the latter, as I have powered speakers for my desktop.  To my ears, this amp is about as neutral as you can get.  There is loads of power for the HD700, and I can damn near use the headphones as speakers when plugged into this thing.  It is quite compact, looks good (I got mine in black), and very easy to use.  CEntrance's USB implementation is one of the best on the market.  I am quite happy with mine, and don't forsee myself looking to upgrade this any time soon.

It looks promising and I'll keep it on the list, but $1000 is, unfortunately, out of my range right now. 

Jan 8, 2014 at 5:48 PM Post #1,018 of 9,298

It has been posted, and there's really nothing of importance there. Unless you're in the market for a gaming headset or a different color Momentum. Was hoping for the HD 659 or HD 750
tongue_smile.gif

Given Sennheiser's history might be awhile before we see another higher end phone, the HD600 came out when??
But IMHO the HD700s do sound excellent and bridge the gap so not too sure what's to be changed.

Jan 9, 2014 at 3:10 AM Post #1,020 of 9,298
Audio gd Compass 2 (Sabre chip preferrably) is neutral, much less expensive and can power well anything short of Hifiman HE-6
Even less expensive and compact is Audio gd NFB-11.32

And what would be the trade off going with the NFB-11.32 over the Compass 2? I could definitely do $300.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back