Sennheiser HD 700 Impressions Thread
Dec 27, 2013 at 10:59 PM Post #931 of 9,298
So I recieved my HD700 a few days , it sounded great but not as great as when I tried them at a audio event out of a AK120.
I am using NFB3 --> M stage with LME49710HA.
the AK 120 is better than my setup?

Anyway, i was trying several opamps in my M stage and I accidentally inserted one of them wrongly and there was a burnt smell with my HD700 plugged in.
Both the opamp and hd700 still sound normal but I am worried.
Anyone can advise if there might be some damage done to my hd700?

thank you

Dec 27, 2013 at 11:44 PM Post #932 of 9,298
  So I recieved my HD700 a few days , it sounded great but not as great as when I tried them at a audio event out of a AK120.
I am using NFB3 --> M stage with LME49710HA.
the AK 120 is better than my setup?

Anyway, i was trying several opamps in my M stage and I accidentally inserted one of them wrongly and there was a burnt smell with my HD700 plugged in.
Both the opamp and hd700 still sound normal but I am worried.
Anyone can advise if there might be some damage done to my hd700?

thank you

What do you mean you inserted them wrongly? The burnt smell emanated from the amp or the HD700s?

Dec 28, 2013 at 12:56 AM Post #934 of 9,298
  I inserted the opamp the wrong direction.:frowning2:
Then the burnt smelling came from the amp. :frowning2:

I'm more worried about your amp haha.
Can you take some pictures so we can help you out?
But mostly like you should be good.

Dec 28, 2013 at 12:58 AM Post #935 of 9,298
I inserted the opamp the wrong direction.:frowning2:
Then the burnt smelling came from the amp. :frowning2:

If everything works fine... then don't worry until something stops working properly. :D

I mean... you can't do anything right? Just hope some expert in electronics answers eventually. I will try to ask some friend when he wakes up in Oxford.

Just don't worry man, you cannot do anything right now. If something is messed up, you will find out eventually and that will be the moment to fix it. Just keep enjoying what still works.

Dec 28, 2013 at 1:21 AM Post #937 of 9,298
^ So true that...

Coming back to topic. I'm receiving these on Monday and got the tipical adaptor 6.3 to 3.5. I bet it's been largely debated but, any aftermarket cable that is really worth it? I mean in the under $50 price range, shorter and ending in 3.5mm.

Dec 28, 2013 at 1:37 AM Post #938 of 9,298
Thanks alot guys.
There is no physical damage on the amp itself. ( no burn marks or anything like that )
Everything seems normal physically and soundwise.
Will take note of it and probably upgrade to a better amp next year so I am much more concerned about the headphone. haha

Anyway, is my matrix m stage severely hindering my HD 700 from sound like what it is supposed to?
It doesnt wow me like the first time I listen this headphone through the Ak120. ( I doubt AK120 is ideal source and amp anyway. lol )
Any advises please?

Dec 28, 2013 at 10:33 AM Post #939 of 9,298
  Thanks alot guys.
There is no physical damage on the amp itself. ( no burn marks or anything like that )
Everything seems normal physically and soundwise.
Will take note of it and probably upgrade to a better amp next year so I am much more concerned about the headphone. haha

Anyway, is my matrix m stage severely hindering my HD 700 from sound like what it is supposed to?
It doesnt wow me like the first time I listen this headphone through the Ak120. ( I doubt AK120 is ideal source and amp anyway. lol )
Any advises please?

I was initially nonplussed with my setup. My expectations, as usual, were through the roof though. So I did a mental reset, and stopped all the A/B testing nonsense, and gave myself permission just to relax with my new purchase. And, lo and behold, I started to hear the magic. I'm using the M-stage also and definitely recommend the maximum gain setting.  Keep in mind, many on head-fi suggest 150 hours of burn-in. Now for the caveat: the hd 700 seems to lack a little upper midrange energy; juxtaposed to the 700's 6Khz spike, those frequencies, especially with acoustic music, tend to sound a little attenuated or "veiled." Maybe this is what's bothering you? If so, a little eq tinkering resolves that problem wonderfully. For reference, I'm using the M-stage stock and the Music FIdelity V Dac MKii. All my music files are lossless.

Dec 31, 2013 at 6:46 AM Post #940 of 9,298
Just got my brand new HD700 
beerchug.gif
 upgrading from a Beyer DT880/600. Should i buy a new amp or something? I currently am using a Creative SoundBlaster ZxR Soundcard which were fine for the dt880/600

Dec 31, 2013 at 10:53 AM Post #941 of 9,298
  Just got my brand new HD700 
beerchug.gif
 upgrading from a Beyer DT880/600. Should i buy a new amp or something? I currently am using a Creative SoundBlaster ZxR Soundcard which were fine for the dt880/600

Contratulations!  Still breaking mine in...maybe 100 hrs so far?  

Yes, your sound blaster card is a weak link.  You should eventually get both a DAC and an Amp if you want to fully take advantage of the capabilities of the HD700 headphones.  If you think they sound good with a SoundBlaster sound card, your mind will be blown when you hear them through a proper source and amp.  Most people can't upgrade everything at once, so take your time and have patience and your ears will be rewarded.  

I started out my Headfi journey with a sound blaster Audigy sound card (back in 2004).  Upgraded to a asus xonar with a RSA Hornet.  Later upgraded to a Musical Fidelity DAC and finally got the Burson Soloist and I think that is end game for me....maybe down the road I'll get a nicer DAC, but other than that I'm happy.  Not to say that you can't be happy with a  sound card, but you definitely have a lot of room for upgrades in the future!  Oh, and sorry 'bout your wallet 
atsmile.gif

Dec 31, 2013 at 11:30 AM Post #943 of 9,298
^ try to find out the headphone output impedance of your soundcard. The rule of thumb is that it should be below 2 ohms and/or 1/8 of the headphone impedance (150 ohms in HD700).

Dec 31, 2013 at 2:57 PM Post #944 of 9,298

After a bit of delay/mixup with the post mine finally showed up at the door.
Won’t be able to give a proper a review, but a cursory listen confirmed my expectations like many have reported that they do indeed sit somewhere between the HD600 and HD800s.
But my primary goal was to have a phone that combines the attributes of the Senn HD600 and AKG K701’s, believe I may have found my solution!

Dec 31, 2013 at 3:03 PM Post #945 of 9,298

After a bit of delay/mixup with the post mine finally showed up at the door.
Won’t be able to give a proper a review, but a cursory listen confirmed my expectations like many have reported that they do indeed sit somewhere between the HD600 and HD800s.
But my primary goal was to have a phone that combines the attributes of the Senn HD600 and AKG K701’s, believe I may have found my solution!

Looks like somebody's a Classical music lover!  Nice set up...have always wondered what that Bryston sounds like.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back