Sennheiser HD 700 Impressions Thread
Dec 22, 2013 at 10:39 AM Post #901 of 9,291
I just got the regular molecule...I was just hoping it would tame the high end just a tad, but mostly just being easier to work with than the stock cable.

Dec 22, 2013 at 10:43 AM Post #902 of 9,291
Anything will easier to work with than the stock cable.  A brick would be better.  A straight piece of unbendable copper.  Anything.  A copper tube from your water heater to your bath tub would be better!  The stock cable is actually frustrating.  Funny, in it's frustration.  But not really all that funny.

Dec 22, 2013 at 11:11 AM Post #903 of 9,291
Anything will easier to work with than the stock cable.  A brick would be better.  A straight piece of unbendable copper.  Anything.  A copper tube from your water heater to your bath tub would be better!  The stock cable is actually frustrating.  Funny, in it's frustration.  But not really all that funny.

I will put together my portable rig in the coming days as holiday availability allows me to. It is Note 3->HRT MicroStreamer->FiiO E12->Cardas right angle 3.5mm to 6.3mm adapter->HD700.
Being that the note 3 is so big that when most people ask about it, I tell them it's my new laptop, you would think it'd have the footprint to conceal all this gadgetry behind it. Well, it does, until olé Senny's cable gets plugged in.
Pictures to follow.

Dec 22, 2013 at 1:23 PM Post #904 of 9,291

Sennheiser didn't make this cable for portable use. It seems like a very high quality cable, IMHO. It is silver plated wire that was especially designed for performance....I would think twice about downgrading.

Dec 22, 2013 at 1:30 PM Post #905 of 9,291
I'm not saying Senn doesn't know what they're doing, but this is some pretty piss-poor wire...

Dec 22, 2013 at 3:19 PM Post #906 of 9,291

I agree, the stock cable sucks. Funny they mention in the product sheet you should let it hang to get it straight. Well I hung it from the peg for 2 days and it´s still as bendy as before. Maybe i´ll try to iron it. 
biggrin.gif

Dec 22, 2013 at 3:23 PM Post #907 of 9,291

I agree, the stock cable sucks. Funny they mention in the product sheet you should let it hang to get it straight. Well I hung it from the peg for 2 days and it´s still as bendy as before. 

You can secure the plug, and use a hair dryer or heat gun (be careful with the heat), keep it moving.....just heat moving back and forth, while applying pressure with your free hand.  That should help straighten the memory in the cable, keep pressure on the cable until cool!

Dec 22, 2013 at 9:59 PM Post #910 of 9,291
Sennheiser didn't make this cable for portable use. It seems like a very high quality cable, IMHO. It is silver plated wire that was especially designed for performance....I would think twice about downgrading.

If you lay it flat and never move, then sure, it's fine.

It acts like a 650 cable in a thick un manageable sheath that twists up on itself because it wants to frustrate you.

I've been known to be a bit weird with how my cables lay, so maybe it's just me...

Dec 23, 2013 at 5:33 PM Post #911 of 9,291
Has anyone owned the Ortofon EQ5? These have gotta be the best bang of the buck iems. They sound amazing next to my HD700s, and that's saying something.

Dec 23, 2013 at 10:15 PM Post #912 of 9,291
I think my HD700s are defective -__-.

There's annoying static that keeps occurring on the left side. Tried switching the plugs but same issue occurs.

I'm using the Schiit Lyr as my amp and my HE-500s don't have any static so I don't think it's my amp.

Has this ever occurred with anyone else?

Dec 23, 2013 at 10:34 PM Post #913 of 9,291
  I think my HD700s are defective -__-.

There's annoying static that keeps occurring on the left side. Tried switching the plugs but same issue occurs.

I'm using the Schiit Lyr as my amp and my HE-500s don't have any static so I don't think it's my amp.

Has this ever occurred with anyone else?

I am curious if you hear this buzzing when you have it plugged directly into a source and NOT to the amp.

Dec 23, 2013 at 10:40 PM Post #914 of 9,291
I have this hooked it from computer-->Bifrost-->Lyr-->headphone.

Neither the Bifrost or my computer has a 1/4 input. 

Dec 23, 2013 at 10:47 PM Post #915 of 9,291
  I have this hooked it from computer-->Bifrost-->Lyr-->headphone.

Neither the Bifrost or my computer has a 1/4 input. 

Okay.  If you could find a 1/8 adapter for the male 1/4 plug perhaps you can plug directly into a MP3 player or telephone and take a listen.  If you then have no static when bypassing then it might be the amp. 

I have heard that just a handful of Sennheiser HD700s or HD800s headphones per thousand made need to go in for repair, outside of the cords, so I hope you do not have that issue, even if your headphones are in the warranty period.  Are you using the stock cords? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back