Sennheiser HD 700 Impressions Thread
Aug 2, 2012 at 3:56 AM Post #91 of 9,291
Quote:

Small correction.  700 are looser clamping than 595s, they will start to slide off my head also, but not as easily as 800s.  595s do not.

Good news :)

What is the most comfortable between the HD700 and HD800?

How bass are compared to the HD595?

A AMP AV  is it enough to drive it properly?

Thanks
wink_face.gif

Aug 3, 2012 at 2:27 AM Post #92 of 9,291
Yeah, I've had the same clicking. There appears to be space inside the pads where the 2 layers of plastic actually flex and then "snap" together. I replaced my pads with a pair from some Shure 840s and love them. No snapping and they seat and stay on my head better. I am planning to send the pads back to Senn to see if a different pair does the same thing.

Aug 3, 2012 at 2:42 AM Post #93 of 9,291
Quote:
Sweet! Is it pure copper or copper/sliver.. don't think the HD700 needs a cable with any silver.  Let us know what you think.

I was under the impression that the 700 had a silver plated copper wire as 'stock' - from Sennhesier website "silver-plated oxygen-free four-wire copper cable".

I too would be interested to hear feedback from people using different cables :)

Aug 3, 2012 at 2:08 PM Post #94 of 9,291
Yup.. I konw that.. was just wondering what a pure OFC cable would sound like and what the custom cable is.
Quote:
I was under the impression that the 700 had a silver plated copper wire as 'stock' - from Sennhesier website "silver-plated oxygen-free four-wire copper cable".

I too would be interested to hear feedback from people using different cables :)

Aug 7, 2012 at 5:51 PM Post #95 of 9,291
Quote:
What is the most comfortable between the HD700 and HD800?

How bass are compared to the HD595?

A AMP AV  is it enough to drive it properly?

Thanks
wink_face.gif

Depends if you don't mind the large size of the HD 800.  I'd take either one based on comfort alone, but sometimes it feels like my head is completely engulfed by the headphones so sometimes the HD 700 might be considered more comfortable by me.

Cannot compare bass of the HD 700 to HD 595.  I tried.  The HD 595 does nothing better.  Lacks weight, heft, definition, distinction between double pedal bass notes, and fast bass guitar notes.  It sounds hollow and weak.

I don't have an AV receiver to try, but I'm guessing it will work fine.

cool.gif

Aug 7, 2012 at 5:58 PM Post #96 of 9,291
Quote:

Can't be too many of us.  
Quote:
Yup.. I konw that.. was just wondering what a pure OFC cable would sound like and what the custom cable is.

I haven't put the stock cable back on, I don't wanna, I hate the thing.  Kinkmaster 3000.  
tongue_smile.gif

I have this: http://doublehelixcables.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=92

If I feel the urge and have a clear head one of these days I'll give it a whirl.  I've failed cable tests, and I've been on a diet of Sudafeds for a week.

Aug 7, 2012 at 9:30 PM Post #97 of 9,291
I felt the same as you did with regards to your experience with the 595 as i had with the 558 which I returned.
The 650 were good better balanced but the bass was lacking control and was all over the place, I am really enjoying the HD700.

For those who have not had a listen to the 700 don't listen to what people say let your ears tell you if you like them or not, way too many negatives comment in this community about the 700 and 80% of the people posting never heard them I venture to bet.

Aug 8, 2012 at 2:18 AM Post #98 of 9,291
It would be a shame if people are put off by the early negative comments. Those cans are very enjoyable and technically very proficient while remaining musical. IMO they are quite similar but slightly superior to the T1.

Aug 8, 2012 at 7:51 AM Post #99 of 9,291
how does the newer hd598 compare to the hd595? i see a lot of times the hd595 being mentioned in comparision against the hd700 but im quite curious about the hd598 since i heard its quite an improvement over the hd595

Aug 8, 2012 at 7:56 AM Post #100 of 9,291
Well, to me HD700 is like a toy, compare side by side with my HD800 and HD700 looks like built on cheap materials.

Sound quality-wise does not really impress me, so returning them, but this is my opinion, you guys may like it or not until you try.

Aug 8, 2012 at 10:36 AM Post #101 of 9,291
Quote:
It would be a shame if people are put off by the early negative comments. Those cans are very enjoyable and technically very proficient while remaining musical. IMO they are quite similar but slightly superior to the T1.

+1

I too have read numerous negative comments about the HD700's - mostly from people comparing them to the HD800's. Can I just remind everyone that the the 800's are nearly twice the price so of course they're going to be a step up or two in both build quality/materials and sound quality.

I've bought the HD700's and after listening to them for a while I find them superb (coming from HD558 and HD565 Ovation before that). I've not had huge experience with other makes but I am very, very happy with the HD700's. They don't sound tiring or bright (and I'm notoriously intolerant of a bright sound!), they are comfortable and very well made. I really don't see what the problem is that many seem to have with them. Maybe they're not giving them chance to burn in although I can't say I noticed any significant change to the sound over the last 20 or so hours of use. One thing I will say is don't cup your hands over the ear cups or hold the ear cups when using them - changes the sound very much so into something nasally and not very nice at all.

I've paired them with a very good quality CD player and a 'known-for-its-transparancy' headphone amp and don't feel the need to change/alter anything for the foreseeable future :)

Aug 8, 2012 at 11:09 AM Post #102 of 9,291
I felt the same as you did with regards to your experience with the 595 as i had with the 558 which I returned.
The 650 were good better balanced but the bass was lacking control and was all over the place, I am really enjoying the HD700.
For those who have not had a listen to the 700 don't listen to what people say let your ears tell you if you like them or not, way too many negatives comment in this community about the 700 and 80% of the people posting never heard them I venture to bet.

I stand behind my impressions and I listened to them for quite some time. Although I don't hate them, I couldn't help but feel disappointed.

That's a bold claim. Personally I put them in the same ballpark and think they both should be in the $500-600 range.

Aug 8, 2012 at 11:29 AM Post #103 of 9,291
I stand behind my impressions and I listened to them for quite some time. Although I don't hate them, I couldn't help but feel disappointed.
That's a bold claim. Personally I put them in the same ballpark and think they both should be in the $500-600 range.

Well for me when I rate headphone I evaluate the following
- comfort level
- material
- sound quality
- cable thickness/length/material

and T1 is far superior in all categories above.

To add, I got my HD800 for about $1300 tax included while HD700 is $1000 + tax(13% here in Ontario).

So there is really no point of getting HD700, HD700 should be in the same price range as HD650 IMO.

Just my opinion guys, if you are happy then that's all, :)

Aug 8, 2012 at 5:55 PM Post #104 of 9,291
My post wasn't to try and convince anyone here or justify my purchase it really wasn't, like I said earlier some people will hate just to hate. As far Magikman I don't remember addressing you when I made my post.

I paid 799.00 for mine and while you believe they should be X it is still your opinion and ears not mine. I have listened to countless headphone but I don't come on the boards bashing X brands.

Aug 21, 2012 at 11:15 PM Post #105 of 9,291
I just a pair of these on loan today and I'm pretty impressed.  I also received loaner sets of the HE-6 and HE-500.  I would say that both the HE-6 and HD700s are superior to the HE-500, which is no surprise, given their cost.  However, I'm having a hard time deciding whether I prefer the HE-6 or the HD700.  It will take time to become familiar with both sound signatures.  Unfortunately (or fortunately?) my dealer sent me a Cardas Clear cable for the HE cans, which tends to give them an unfair advantage when comparing against the stock HD700 cable.  I'm pretty amazed how how much of an improvement the Clear cable provides.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back