Sennheiser HD 700 Impressions Thread
Sep 1, 2020 at 6:42 PM Post #8,926 of 9,298
If Sennheiser released a HD700S with treble tuned more like the HD800S, would you pay $999 new msrp for them? Keep in mind the HD800S is now $1699 and the original HD700 msrp for Sennheiser to make money was $999.

Tough call. My 700s are fitted with Dekoni velour pads and a homemade anax-type mod I fashioned out of herbie’s grunge buster dots, and I find very little to complain about. I’d say if they sounded like this originally, they would have been a winner at $999.

Sep 6, 2020 at 1:13 AM Post #8,927 of 9,298
i want to share my gaming experience ( mostly competitive gaming ) with the HD700, i bought it after i heard a lot of good things about the soundstage and imaging and how close it is to the HD800

i got them paired to the little dot mk3 and smsl m100 as a dac and i tried them in games that i play for hours on daily basis i realized sadly the HD700 just wasn't good for gaming, imaging wasn't accurate and the worst part is that there is things in game that sound very loud and annoying and there is things sound quite and hard to pick up for example on modern warfare the bullets are very loud and annoying and doesn't sound realistic and it actually hurt my ears even with the modhouse mod and when i lower the volume i struggle to hear other things like footsteps, warzone rely on footsteps and the soundstage wasn't doing a great job so is the imaging, things suppose to sound far sound close and vice versa it was hard to pick if someone is above me or below me it was a very very confusing experience, and don't say its the game sound cuz nothing of what i just mentioned was a problem on my AD900X

anyway all of that got fixed with autoEQ omg that actually transform the headphone the imaging is fantastic now and the soundstage is huge and everything sound realistic and clear and i can easily pick everything up, i can point everyone just by listening to them not even my AD900 ( my best competitive gaming headphone ) comes close to the HD700 now, even with music now i can hear things that i couldn't hear before, everything is balanced both in music and games , its crazy how this EQ made my HD700 so much better

i highly recommend to give it a shot

Sep 6, 2020 at 1:27 AM Post #8,928 of 9,298
i want to share my gaming experience ( mostly competitive gaming ) with the HD700, i bought it after i heard a lot of good things about the soundstage and imaging and how close it is to the HD800

i got them paired to the little dot mk3 and smsl m100 as a dac and i tried them in games that i play for hours on daily basis i realized sadly the HD700 just wasn't good for gaming, imaging wasn't accurate and the worst part is that there is things in game that sound very loud and annoying and there is things sound quite and hard to pick up for example on modern warfare the bullets are very loud and annoying and doesn't sound realistic and it actually hurt my ears even with the modhouse mod and when i lower the volume i struggle to hear other things like footsteps, warzone rely on footsteps and the soundstage wasn't doing a great job so is the imaging, things suppose to sound far sound close and vice versa it was hard to pick if someone is above me or below me it was a very very confusing experience, and don't say its the game sound cuz nothing of what i just mentioned was a problem on my AD900X

anyway all of that got fixed with autoEQ omg that actually transform the headphone the imaging is fantastic now and the soundstage is huge and everything sound realistic and clear and i can easily pick everything up, i can point everyone just by listening to them not even my AD900 ( my best competitive gaming headphone ) comes close to the HD700 now, even with music now i can hear things that i couldn't hear before, everything is balanced both in music and games , its crazy how this EQ made my HD700 so much better

Not knowing jack about proper EQing, I was amazed by Sonarworks Reference 4 Headphone edition. I like the 700 as is and certainly enjoy it that way, but with the app it's on another level and definitely isn't as treble-heavy.

Sep 6, 2020 at 5:05 AM Post #8,929 of 9,298
Not knowing jack about proper EQing, I was amazed by Sonarworks Reference 4 Headphone edition. I like the 700 as is and certainly enjoy it that way, but with the app it's on another level and definitely isn't as treble-heavy.
i just tried the Sonarworks and i compared it to the autoEQ, i can tell you the difference is there but to me its not that big and i prefer the autoEQ for general use

Last edited:
Sep 6, 2020 at 8:04 AM Post #8,930 of 9,298
Yeh hd700 is not really good for gaming stock as you said it has uneven FR. Something like gsp500/gsp600 better. Gsp600 can get really positional since it has noise canceling

HD700 main purpose is big soundstage headphone for music. Specifically it's part of below "soundstage" series:
Reference model: HD800S
Closed back isolated model: HD820
Portable model: HD700

Sep 6, 2020 at 4:30 PM Post #8,931 of 9,298
i just tried the Sonarworks and i compared it to the autoEQ, i can tell you the difference is there but to me its not that big and i prefer the autoEQ for general use
Ah, I'm a mac person, so that seems like autoEQ is cumbersome to get to work on it, but seems to be a similar solution. Glad it's working so well for you!

Sep 8, 2020 at 5:53 AM Post #8,932 of 9,298
Last week while shipping my 700s got damaged badly, the left support link got damaged and one of the drivers stopped working. I did try to find that part but i was not able to do so. Even sennheiser does not have them in stock.. Can anyone help me out please.. thanks

Attachments

• photo_2020-09-08_15-13-23.jpg
    photo_2020-09-08_15-13-23.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 0
  • photo_2020-09-08_15-13-26.jpg
    photo_2020-09-08_15-13-26.jpg
    115.6 KB · Views: 0
  • photo_2020-09-08_15-13-27.jpg
    photo_2020-09-08_15-13-27.jpg
    134.8 KB · Views: 0
  • photo_2020-09-08_15-13-29.jpg
    photo_2020-09-08_15-13-29.jpg
    204.8 KB · Views: 0
Sep 8, 2020 at 9:44 AM Post #8,933 of 9,298
Last week while shipping my 700s got damaged badly, the left support link got damaged and one of the drivers stopped working. I did try to find that part but i was not able to do so. Even sennheiser does not have them in stock.. Can anyone help me out please.. thanks

ouch! No insurance to give you recourse against the shipper? Otherwise your best bet would be to post a want ad for a non working pair you can cannibalizes, but Sennheisers are generally robust - you may have trouble finding a broken pair. Good luck!

Sep 8, 2020 at 12:03 PM Post #8,934 of 9,298
ouch! No insurance to give you recourse against the shipper? Otherwise your best bet would be to post a want ad for a non working pair you can cannibalizes, but Sennheisers are generally robust - you may have trouble finding a broken pair. Good luck!
sadly the guy to whom i send did not opt for insurance. Posting a want ad is only option i think..

Sep 20, 2020 at 11:46 AM Post #8,936 of 9,298

Do you feel like tge hd700 was a large improvement or minor coming from athad900x?

Sep 20, 2020 at 12:25 PM Post #8,938 of 9,298
Also, I am late to the hd700 party. Have been researching and looking for a pair. Is there any place other than forums/ebay to acquire these for a reasonable price?
Nope they've been out of production a while

Make sure you budget for a compatible amp

Sep 20, 2020 at 12:40 PM Post #8,940 of 9,298
I've got a JDS El stack. I assume that would suffice
I haven't heard that but just based on its solid state nature I'd recommend you upgrade the amp to project sunrise III/project horizon III, MCTH, etc. The HD700 has a mid dip and a high 6khz treble peak, if you amp doesnt "artfully" handle high frequencies (most SS amps dont) that 6khz can drill into your ears when you bring the mids up to volume. Can also EQ but that tends to ruin the soundstage.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back