Sennheiser HD 700 Impressions Thread
Feb 13, 2017 at 3:10 AM Post #7,471 of 9,298

got a link to the foam you used?

Doesn't really matter which foam you use, I just bought some generic adhesive foam from my closest art shop. Any should do just fine.

Feb 13, 2017 at 3:15 AM Post #7,472 of 9,298
Walmart should sell a 3mm or so piece of foam in the arts and crafts section in a rectangular shape with various colors. $0.33 a sheet and one should would be more than enough for two drivers.

Feb 14, 2017 at 4:19 PM Post #7,475 of 9,298
I've found another cheap replacement cable for HD700. I was looking for something light and short for portable use. The cable I knew about before was Sennheiser 083380 and I was going to order that one, cut it to about 1 m and re-plug, but yesterday I noticed another one in a store. It was very cheap so I bought it without testing - and it works.

The cable for Krüger&Matz KM660 and Krüger&Matz KM665 headphones fits without any adjustments (tested - that's the one I got), cable for Krüger&Matz KM0830 will probably fit too (not tested, but looks like the 2.5 mm mono jacks are thin enough).

Krüger&Matz is a Polish brand, but their products are made in China. They have headphones, speakers and other electronics. They sell replacement cables separately in Poland. Not sure if these cables can be purchased separately outside Poland, but Kruger&Matz has distribution in Romania, Switzerland and Benelux and they do sell headphones there, so it could be possible at least in these countries.
Edit: Krüger&Matz headphones are made by Esmooth (Chinese OEM) that also makes the same exact headphones under its own brand and for the brands Meze, Senta, Hores, Symphonized, BearBizz, Zagg, Tribeca (those I know about, there could be more), so cables terminated with 2.5 mm mono jacks for any of these brands are probably the same.

The cable is 1.2 m, 3.5 mm jack on the source device side, thin 2.5 mm mono jacks on the headphones side. There's also a version with microphone, I got the one without. The cable is in nylon braided sleeve (so probably a bit microphonic), rather thin, probably not very durable. But it's pocket-short (unlike the other possible replacement, Sennheiser 083380 cable for EH250, EH350, HD212 Pro, HD477, HD497, which is also thin and flexible, but 3 m long), light, flexible, and the best part is the price: $5 for the cable without in-line mic, $6 for the cable with mic. 

Feb 14, 2017 at 10:06 PM Post #7,476 of 9,298
  I've found another cheap replacement cable for HD700. I was looking for something light and short for portable use. The cable I knew about before was Sennheiser 083380 and I was going to order that one, cut it to about 1 m and re-plug, but yesterday I noticed another one in a store. It was very cheap so I bought it without testing - and it works.

The cable for Krüger&Matz KM660 and Krüger&Matz KM665 headphones fits without any adjustments (tested - that's the one I got), cable for Krüger&Matz KM0830 will probably fit too (not tested, but looks like the 2.5 mm mono jacks are thin enough).

Krüger&Matz is a Polish brand, but their products are made in China. They have headphones, speakers and other electronics. They sell replacement cables separately in Poland. Not sure if these cables can be purchased separately outside Poland, but Kruger&Matz has distribution in Romania, Switzerland and Benelux and they do sell headphones there, so it could be possible at least in these countries.
Edit: Krüger&Matz headphones are made by Esmooth (Chinese OEM) that also makes the same exact headphones under its own brand and for the brands Meze, Senta, Hores, Symphonized, BearBizz, Zagg, Tribeca (those I know about, there could be more), so cables terminated with 2.5 mm mono jacks for any of these brands are probably the same.

The cable is 1.2 m, 3.5 mm jack on the source device side, thin 2.5 mm mono jacks on the headphones side. There's also a version with microphone, I got the one without. The cable is in nylon braided sleeve (so probably a bit microphonic), rather thin, probably not very durable. But it's pocket-short (unlike the other possible replacement, Sennheiser 083380 cable for EH250, EH350, HD212 Pro, HD477, HD497, which is also thin and flexible, but 3 m long), light, flexible, and the best part is the price: $5 for the cable without in-line mic, $6 for the cable with mic. 

Sounds good, do you have a link to that cable?

Feb 14, 2017 at 10:31 PM Post #7,477 of 9,298
I can't post links yet (new user, posts with links get stuck in moderation), so let's try this. Copy to text editor, replace all "*" with "." and all "x" with "/"

These two are in English, but no purchase option:

www*krugermatz*comxen_USxpxHeadphone-cablex1932
www*krugermatz*comxen_USxpxHeadphone-cablex1931

This one has purchase option but it is in Polish, and no international shipment (I think):

www*krugermatz*comxplxpxKabel-sluchawkowyx1931

Like I said, I don't know if there is any way to buy this cable outside Poland, but at least you'll see what it looks like.
Some of the cables for the brands I mentioned in my post above look the same or very similar.
I have no affiliation to any of the brands, of course.

And I had time to check, the braid is microphonic. No surprise there. 

Feb 15, 2017 at 1:40 AM Post #7,478 of 9,298
  I can't post links yet (new user, posts with links get stuck in moderation), so let's try this. Copy to text editor, replace all "*" with "." and all "x" with "/"

These two are in English, but no purchase option:

www*krugermatz*comxen_USxpxHeadphone-cablex1932
www*krugermatz*comxen_USxpxHeadphone-cablex1931

This one has purchase option but it is in Polish, and no international shipment (I think):

www*krugermatz*comxplxpxKabel-sluchawkowyx1931

Like I said, I don't know if there is any way to buy this cable outside Poland, but at least you'll see what it looks like.
Some of the cables for the brands I mentioned in my post above look the same or very similar.
I have no affiliation to any of the brands, of course.

And I had time to check, the braid is microphonic. No surprise there. 

Here you go...
http://www.krugermatz.com/en_US/p/Headphone-cable/1931
http://www.krugermatz.com/en_US/p/Headphone-cable/1932

www.krugermatz.com/pl/p/Kabel-sluchawkowy/1931

Feb 16, 2017 at 4:46 PM Post #7,479 of 9,298
I'm listening to my hd700 through my Yamaha A/V receiver right now, but I'm wanting to add a dedicated headphone amp in the chain. This will be my first dedicated headphone amp so I am curious to see what it will add, but don't want to break the bank.

I've narrowed it down to getting either a bravo audio ocean mini tube amp or a matrix m stage Solid state amp. I could sit here and get lost in my words as to the pros and cons I've read about (typed it out and deleted twice now) but I'm posting to ask your guys opinion. Which one of the two do younz think will give my 700's that oomph I'm looking for?

I mostly listen while gaming/watching movies with some music thrown in as well. I know I would eventually like to add a dac at some point to see what that is like, but for now I have my receivers dac as well as an Astro mixamp.

Feb 16, 2017 at 5:07 PM Post #7,480 of 9,298
I am going to throw a wrench in.

Try the Parasound zdac v2. I have one and it pairs amazingly with HD700 and is tuned with a bit extra bass oomph while remaining smooth yet detailed on treble. I think you will like it, and the dac is probably better than your receivers.

Of your choices though I've heard good things about the m-stage

Feb 16, 2017 at 6:36 PM Post #7,481 of 9,298
I am going to throw a wrench in.

Try the Parasound zdac v2. I have one and it pairs amazingly with HD700 and is tuned with a bit extra bass oomph while remaining smooth yet detailed on treble. I think you will like it, and the dac is probably better than your receivers.

Of your choices though I've heard good things about the m-stage

A wrench indeed, that looks like a pretty sweet all in one solution. I had a soundblaster x7 before but was underwhelmed by the headphone amp so I sold it. I'm reading more about your suggestion now, Innerfidelity seems to like it. I think first hand responses from unbiased sources from people here like you are the best tho. Thx for your recommendation

Feb 16, 2017 at 7:05 PM Post #7,482 of 9,298
A wrench indeed, that looks like a pretty sweet all in one solution. I had a soundblaster x7 before but was underwhelmed by the headphone amp so I sold it. I'm reading more about your suggestion now, Innerfidelity seems to like it. I think first hand responses from unbiased sources from people here like you are the best tho. Thx for your recommendation

if you are willing to go to the price of the parasound Zdac v2 then you might want to look at Teac UD-501 (were on Massdrop for $425)

if you want cheaper, Modi MB and Vali2, you can get the Vali2 first and the Modi later.  Other options are a Garage 1217 Polaris (SS-$250) or Solstice (tube-$250)

Feb 17, 2017 at 7:53 AM Post #7,484 of 9,298
if you are willing to go to the price of the parasound Zdac v2 then you might want to look at Teac UD-501 (were on Massdrop for $425)

if you want cheaper, Modi MB and Vali2, you can get the Vali2 first and the Modi later.  Other options are a Garage 1217 Polaris (SS-$250) or Solstice (tube-$250)

I never pay full price for anything. I like to find one or a few items that really catch my interest, then keep a lookout for deals. Actually already found a good deal on that teac you mentioned. There was a used like new on amazon yesterday for $310, and of course I go to look at it this morning and it's gone :/. Deals are out there tho, especially if you cast a wide enough net. Thanks all!

Feb 17, 2017 at 7:55 AM Post #7,485 of 9,298
I don't recommend the Ocean for the HD700. It gave far less detail and clarity compared to my Polaris, or even my Fiio e10. I have you find something that really makes them shine for you!

Marking that one off the list. I figured it probably wouldn't be the cleanest but for $80 it was tempting lol. How do you like the Polaris match? The worry I have with those is with it being a diy kit it looks like the sides are open, leaving the components showing and susceptible to dust. How's yours holding up? Thanks for your input!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back