Sennheiser HD 700 Impressions Thread
Feb 4, 2017 at 6:58 PM Post #7,457 of 9,298
  I just want you all to know that you get dry apple juice out of HD700 drivers by pouring unreasonable quantities of 70% rubbing alcohol into either earcup assembly and blow-drying. You are welcome.

Started super bowl party a little early
beerchug.gif

Feb 4, 2017 at 7:19 PM Post #7,458 of 9,298
That's my worst fear, that my HD700s get mucked up.

Side note: I have balanced cables for PONO / Codex coming in a few weeks, who wants a review / comparo when driven by the world's most maligned music player?!

Feb 4, 2017 at 8:19 PM Post #7,460 of 9,298
Fall face down into a soup bowl with them on your head while listening to Enya.
Get a soup bowl/drink glass thrown at you by your significant other for not listening to her and listening to music with your HD700s instead.
Engage in uncontrolled headbanging while cooking.
Be in a vicinity of an eating 1-2 y.o. child.

Feb 4, 2017 at 8:58 PM Post #7,461 of 9,298
  Fall face down into a soup bowl with them on your head while listening to Enya.
Get a soup bowl/drink glass thrown at you by your significant other for not listening to her and listening to music with your HD700s instead.
Engage in uncontrolled headbanging while cooking.
Be in a vicinity of an eating 1-2 y.o. child.

all very valid points
biggrin.gif

Feb 5, 2017 at 8:23 PM Post #7,462 of 9,298
HD700 Balanced Cable is on its way!

Feb 5, 2017 at 10:17 PM Post #7,463 of 9,298
  HD700 Balanced Cable is on its way!

Don't want to discourage you but with a Liquid Glass my GF and 2 other friends couldn't hear any sonic differences between balanced and SE, but I think this is due to the Liquid Glass being so good either balanced or SE.  I've yet to hear a Pono in balanced config so hope its better than the SE mode.

Feb 5, 2017 at 10:21 PM Post #7,464 of 9,298
  Don't want to discourage you but with a Liquid Glass my GF and 2 other friends couldn't hear any sonic differences between balanced and SE, but I think this is due to the Liquid Glass being so good either balanced or SE.  I've yet to hear a Pono in balanced config so hope its better than the SE mode.

I'm not discouraged at all :).  I balanced my HD598s through my PONO and it was much louder, and more open / transparent.  So I figure with a bigger and higher-tier headphone I should get the same result.  Also, the PONO is smaller, so I think being able to feed more power to the headphone will help it as well.

Feb 5, 2017 at 10:59 PM Post #7,465 of 9,298
  I'm not discouraged at all :).  I balanced my HD598s through my PONO and it was much louder, and more open / transparent.  So I figure with a bigger and higher-tier headphone I should get the same result.  Also, the PONO is smaller, so I think being able to feed more power to the headphone will help it as well.

Power is not the end all be all from what I've found.  I like my BH Crack or Project Ember with my HD-700 both are really good but they do give different sound signatures, both of which I enjoy.  My old GF used to love my fiio X3 with her HD-700 and used it almost every day for 2 years until I built a Ypsilon driver headphone and I know the X3 is less "powerful" than the Pono.

Feb 6, 2017 at 3:18 AM Post #7,466 of 9,298
  Power is not the end all be all from what I've found.  I like my BH Crack or Project Ember with my HD-700 both are really good but they do give different sound signatures, both of which I enjoy.  My old GF used to love my fiio X3 with her HD-700 and used it almost every day for 2 years until I built a Ypsilon driver headphone and I know the X3 is less "powerful" than the Pono.

Ah, sorry to hear she's the old GF now.

Feb 6, 2017 at 11:14 AM Post #7,468 of 9,298
My final HD700 resting place:grinning:

NAS/Android/Schiit Fulla2/Batt powered Burson Cable+/OTL tube amp.

Feb 13, 2017 at 12:32 AM Post #7,469 of 9,298
For those interested, I've written up a short guide to install the anax mod on the HD700's. I hope it can help out those who feel that the treble is a bit overzealous on these headphones. It's an easy and reversible mod, I would suggest that most people at least give it a go. 

https://everydaylisteningblog.wordpress.com/2017/02/13/sennheiser-hd700-anaxilus-mod-fix-your-treble-woes-with-this-simple-mod/

Feb 13, 2017 at 3:08 AM Post #7,470 of 9,298
  For those interested, I've written up a short guide to install the anax mod on the HD700's. I hope it can help out those who feel that the treble is a bit overzealous on these headphones. It's an easy and reversible mod, I would suggest that most people at least give it a go. 

https://everydaylisteningblog.wordpress.com/2017/02/13/sennheiser-hd700-anaxilus-mod-fix-your-treble-woes-with-this-simple-mod/

​got a link to the foam you used?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back