Sennheiser HD 700 Impressions Thread
Dec 1, 2016 at 3:35 AM Post #7,081 of 9,298
So I've decided on getting the hd700 as my first pair of open back cans . Going to be using it mostly to listen to Spotify on my iPhone and to play some cod on Xbox 1 . Been looking at the fiio e18 & dragonfly red , but tube amps have always interested me .
Up until now I've been using a pair of SE 535's to listen to music with one of those clip fiio amps & a couple of turtle beach headsets for gaming . After years of stalking the threads I still don't know about 80% of what you guys talk about so any help you can give me would be greatly appreciated lol .

While I don't have a iPhone or Xbox these are not devices I would recommend to drive the HD-700.  A friend who used to use Spotify premium service had some music loaded on his LG phone and when we compared it to 320cbr MP3 files on my Fiio X3 the files were clearly cleaner and more dynamic sounding.  The HD-700 paired with the Fiio X3 was my GF's choice for portable tunes for almost a year, its a great pairing for portable listening.  Since I've never tried the e18 or dragonfly red maybe someone else can comment on them paired with the HD-700.

I would highly recommend a tube amp with the HD-700, as the poster above noted the LD-mk2 is a good start, suggest looking at Garage 1217 amps also.

Dec 1, 2016 at 11:33 AM Post #7,082 of 9,298
   A friend who used to use Spotify premium service had some music loaded on his LG phone and when we compared it to 320cbr MP3 files on my Fiio X3 the files were clearly cleaner and more dynamic sounding.

This needs to stop. There are so many damn variables here we can't possibly judge. What were you testing, Spotify vs your files or the LG vs the X3? You can't have multiple variables and expect anything resembling a good conclusion. Change ONE, not all of it. Put the MP3s on the LG and then test. 

Secondly, what phone? Not all LG's are built the same. The v20 is within a butt-hair of pretty much any DAP out there that isn't boutique expensive. If you're on an old G3 or something you're gonna have a wildly different experience. More than that, iPhones are known for good audio output, AND dude said he was looking into the Fiio and DFR which would pretty much nullify any difference anyway.

I don't mean to pick on you here so I'm genuinely sorry if I'm being snippy, but when you're trying to compare X vs Y it's imperative that not only do you make sure every other variable is exactly the same but that you explain exactly what the stipulations are.

THAT SAID, I 100% agree that a tube amp is the way to go with the 700s. Them highs can be a little... enhh... if you don't have some tube action to warm them up a tad. 

Dec 1, 2016 at 2:45 PM Post #7,083 of 9,298

This needs to stop. There are so many damn variables here we can't possibly judge. What were you testing, Spotify vs your files or the LG vs the X3? You can't have multiple variables and expect anything resembling a good conclusion. Change ONE, not all of it. Put the MP3s on the LG and then test. 

Secondly, what phone? Not all LG's are built the same. The v20 is within a butt-hair of pretty much any DAP out there that isn't boutique expensive. If you're on an old G3 or something you're gonna have a wildly different experience. More than that, iPhones are known for good audio output, AND dude said he was looking into the Fiio and DFR which would pretty much nullify any difference anyway.

I don't mean to pick on you here so I'm genuinely sorry if I'm being snippy, but when you're trying to compare X vs Y it's imperative that not only do you make sure every other variable is exactly the same but that you explain exactly what the stipulations are.

THAT SAID, I 100% agree that a tube amp is the way to go with the 700s. Them highs can be a little... enhh... if you don't have some tube action to warm them up a tad. 

I'll clarify it:
​Tested downloaded Spotify premium files and 320cbr MP3s ripped from CDs on my X3, his LG V20 and my other friends iPhone 6s plus
All 3 of us noticed that the Spotify files are not as clear or dynamic as 320 cbr MP3 files on all three tested devices.
I hope this helps to clarify my other post which I agree was not the most well thought out.

Dec 1, 2016 at 2:55 PM Post #7,084 of 9,298
  I'll clarify it:
Tested downloaded Spotify premium files and 320cbr MP3s ripped from CDs on my X3, his LG V20 and my other friends iPhone 6s plus
All 3 of us noticed that the Spotify files are not as clear or dynamic as 320 cbr MP3 files on all three tested devices.
I hope this helps to clarify my other post which I agree was not the most well thought out.

Are you 100% sure they were downloaded at 320kbps OGGs? Because again, I've tested this all over the place and unless you're accidentally getting the 192kbps "high quality" (as opposed to "extreme quality") they don't sound any different.

Hell I even went a step further and compared literally the same albums that I got as FLAC from BandCamp.

And tell me this, how did you test? Did you blind test, as in one person held the device and the other listened? or did everyone know going in? Because that makes a huge difference.

THIRD thing, Spotify is known for normalizing volume, and the lower volume has been proven REPEATEDLY to create the false impression of lower quality audio, it's how the "loudness wars" started. Did you make sure "normalize volume" was turned off?

Dec 1, 2016 at 3:15 PM Post #7,085 of 9,298

You look like some one who know's what he's talking about XD

So what tube amp do you recomend ?

Dec 1, 2016 at 3:17 PM Post #7,086 of 9,298
  Are you 100% sure they were downloaded at 320kbps OGGs? Because again, I've tested this all over the place and unless you're accidentally getting the 192kbps "high quality" (as opposed to "extreme quality") they don't sound any different.

Hell I even went a step further and compared literally the same albums that I got as FLAC from BandCamp.

And tell me this, how did you test? Did you blind test, as in one person held the device and the other listened? or did everyone know going in? Because that makes a huge difference.

THIRD thing, Spotify is known for normalizing volume, and the lower volume has been proven REPEATEDLY to create the false impression of lower quality audio, it's how the "loudness wars" started. Did you make sure "normalize volume" was turned off?

I didn't do the Spotify downloads so I'm not 100% sure, but per my friend it was 320kbps, blind test with my GF switching the devices and we used a SPL meter to adjust the levels as close as possible which was different from the levels if using a 1khz tone, so its also possible that the device could have been playing the Spotify files at a louder level so I would rule out loudness as giving the impression of lower quality.

The reason we tested the Spotify downloads in the first place was my friend originally was downloading the standard files were it was really noticeable compared to 320cbr rips, he then subscribed to the premium service to see if it was worth it.

We are getting a little off topic here and I don't quite know why you are so upset with my post, its almost as if you have a vested interest in Spotify.  If you want to debate this further I would suggest going to the sound science thread or another such as the quality difference in MP3 and or other streaming services.

Dec 2, 2016 at 3:35 PM Post #7,087 of 9,298
  I didn't do the Spotify downloads so I'm not 100% sure, but per my friend it was 320kbps, blind test with my GF switching the devices and we used a SPL meter to adjust the levels as close as possible which was different from the levels if using a 1khz tone, so its also possible that the device could have been playing the Spotify files at a louder level so I would rule out loudness as giving the impression of lower quality.

The reason we tested the Spotify downloads in the first place was my friend originally was downloading the standard files were it was really noticeable compared to 320cbr rips, he then subscribed to the premium service to see if it was worth it.

We are getting a little off topic here and I don't quite know why you are so upset with my post, its almost as if you have a vested interest in Spotify.  If you want to debate this further I would suggest going to the sound science thread or another such as the quality difference in MP3 and or other streaming services.

Augh, my bad man, I just see so often people immediately flipping out at the notion of using Spotify like it's some garbage service and REAL audiophiles listen to nothing but personally ripped FLACs or whatever. It's basically me defending the idea of streaming as a valid way of listening to music, and not just a "well if you don't have the money to buy them for real" way, but as a very much legitimate music repository like any other.

I avoid the Sound Science forum like the plague TBH. That's the realm of cable acolytes and burn-in zealots and other flim-flam. No thanks. :p

Back on topic, I got a set of Mullard tubes coming in for my amp, REALLY excited to hear how they affect the 700s...

Dec 2, 2016 at 3:40 PM Post #7,088 of 9,298

Augh, my bad man, I just see so often people immediately flipping out at the notion of using Spotify like it's some garbage service and REAL audiophiles listen to nothing but personally ripped FLACs or whatever. It's basically me defending the idea of streaming as a valid way of listening to music, and not just a "well if you don't have the money to buy them for real" way, but as a very much legitimate music repository like any other.

I avoid the Sound Science forum like the plague TBH. That's the realm of cable acolytes and burn-in zealots and other flim-flam. No thanks. :p

Back on topic, I got a set of Mullard tubes coming in for my amp, REALLY excited to hear how they affect the 700s...

Recently picked a set of 67 Mullard CV4109's for my Lyr to use with some of my brighter cans.  The lush warmth and detail of these tubes really sound great on both the HD700 and HD800.  When you get your new tubes let us know your impressions...

Dec 2, 2016 at 3:47 PM Post #7,089 of 9,298

Mullards work very well with that can. Got a pair of Brimar CV2492 on the way as well.

Dec 2, 2016 at 3:53 PM Post #7,090 of 9,298
  Mullards work very well with that can. Got a pair of Brimar CV2492 on the way as well.

Let me know how they go!

I'm using a Little Dot MK2 and I really do love them so far, but I feel like if I could warm them up just a tad and tame the treble they'd turn into straight end-game for me.

Dec 2, 2016 at 4:22 PM Post #7,091 of 9,298

Let me know how they go!

I'm using a Little Dot MK2 and I really do love them so far, but I feel like if I could warm them up just a tad and tame the treble they'd turn into straight end-game for me.

Looking for a DAC/AMP for my HD700's was looking at the Valhalla 2 or Vali . But not sure wether to go for the cheaper Magni 2 stack.

Now i seen this Little dot mk2 looks cool and is cheap.

So confused so many AMP to go for. Why do some people not like tubes can they break and need replacing? 

Dec 2, 2016 at 5:08 PM Post #7,092 of 9,298

we are good.

I have two sets of Mullards for my Lyr2, one re-issue and one from 1963?, found the re-issue to be a bit cleaner and better detailed but also sibilant with some tracks, mids smoother on NOS and bass about the same.

Looking for a DAC/AMP for my HD700's was looking at the Valhalla 2 or Vali . But not sure wether to go for the cheaper Magni 2 stack.

Now i seen this Little dot mk2 looks cool and is cheap.

So confused so many AMP to go for. Why do some people not like tubes can they break and need replacing? 

some don't like tubes due to the fact that they have a finite life, others say it "colors" the sound too much, some say tubes have too much distortion.

For the HD-700 I would really recommend tubes somewhere in your audio chain, pre-amp stage or amp stage, its also a way to tune the sound a little to your liking but if you are one who is after neutral then tubes might not be your best choice.

Dec 2, 2016 at 6:14 PM Post #7,093 of 9,298
Im looking for mainly gaming and youtube use some music.

I was looking at just getting the cheap £200 MAGNI 2 Combo but then im thinking of going for the next set up MAGNI 2 UBER combo £300

The VALHALLA 2 is £320 so quite a big jump then £150 for a DAC. Want to get the best Value for the money i spend

Dec 2, 2016 at 6:19 PM Post #7,094 of 9,298
Maybe i could add a Little dot mk2 as they are cheap once i get more into audio.
Then mess with tubes. How long is the life of a tube? or are they like a light bulb can just go at any time.
I do like the wait they light up.

Dec 2, 2016 at 6:38 PM Post #7,095 of 9,298
I suggest buying a dac and or amp with tubes. I`m still trying out combos in my dac and amp trying out different configurations. I you buy a cheap dac/amp and like the sound, that is great, if you do not like the sound you cannot change the sound signature with tubes. This can is pretty picky imo and can either sound great or way too bright with certain tubes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back