Sennheiser HD 700 Impressions Thread
Sep 9, 2016 at 8:52 AM Post #6,706 of 9,298
HA!

Coming from the IE800, I noticed that effect immediately on all of my other headphones/IEMs. It was why I was worried that when I began searching for a new full-sized, over ear headphone, it would result in me finding something that sounded just as muffled or veiled. Which is also why, when I heard people using terms like "sharp" and "harsh" to describe the treble of the HD700, I suspected what they were describing was, in actuality, something that was very similar to the sound signature of the IE800. Which, while bright, or even "sparkly", was precisely what I was looking for.

And as you say, I think they were overpriced, initially, which likely led to a lot of negative reviews. Actually, digging through the archives here, it's almost comical how vehemently people derided the HD700s.

They've been on my list for AGES. I was posting in this thread a while back. There was just something about them that really appealed to me, and I can't figure out why. Maybe it's the way they look like a baby HD800, or that reviews were absolutely everywhere with what they sounded like. Some called them a bigger HD650, others a small HD800, some said they were bassy and dynamic, others said thin and piercing. Maybe because it felt like they were the ignored step in the line. Everyone either called the 650's the overall best in the world, or the 800s the king of the hill.

I really don't think they're nearly as sharp as they're made out to be. Maybe on a solid state amp or something, but I've been sitting here trying out a bunch of metal albums that I know can get painful to listen to if the headphones are sibilant and it just ain't there. Maybe there were quiet revisions like the HD650? Dunno. I just really like 'em.

Sep 9, 2016 at 1:20 PM Post #6,707 of 9,298
I've been enjoying mine for 2 years, without any complaints.
Last week, one of the ear pads started ripping off at the glued seams. I've since re-glued them and ordered a new pair ($95,welp).
Now the headband is loosing black fibres, when rubbed. I'm unable to find the replacement part for this in US. Anybody got any source for these?

I can't find them in the US either, but I found them from the AU official Sennheiser website. http://service.sennheiser.com.au/consumer/products/hifi-and-tv-headphones/hd-700/headband-padding-hd-700.html

Maybe try and give Sennhieser a call. If they are available in AU, I can't see why they aren't available in the US too....

Edit: I just put in a call to Tom at Sennhieser about this part. He did not find the part on their site. He is going to check into it and message me back. The part number (for future reference) is: 549054 I will post back on here if/when I hear back about how to go about getting the replacement part.

Sep 9, 2016 at 5:43 PM Post #6,709 of 9,298
  I've always been intrigued by these, so I had to jump on the $430 amazon price. has anyone here paired these with a magni 2 uber/modi 2 uber? I know it will have enough power, I'm more worried about synergy.

schiit stack is edgy and too bright , but dynamic and open , if you like analytical sound go for it , but high freq is edgy and annoying , definitely hd700 deserve better amp

Sep 9, 2016 at 5:45 PM Post #6,710 of 9,298
They've been on my list for AGES. I was posting in this thread a while back. There was just something about them that really appealed to me, and I can't figure out why. Maybe it's the way they look like a baby HD800, or that reviews were absolutely everywhere with what they sounded like. Some called them a bigger HD650, others a small HD800, some said they were bassy and dynamic, others said thin and piercing. Maybe because it felt like they were the ignored step in the line. Everyone either called the 650's the overall best in the world, or the 800s the king of the hill.

I really don't think they're nearly as sharp as they're made out to be. Maybe on a solid state amp or something, but I've been sitting here trying out a bunch of metal albums that I know can get painful to listen to if the headphones are sibilant and it just ain't there. Maybe there were quiet revisions like the HD650? Dunno. I just really like 'em.

More of a baby HD800 than a bigger HD650. HD650 is tweaked very differently.
In fact HD700 is HD800's younger brother, not as smart or studious, but more badass.

I don't find the HD700 to be sharp sounding, in my experience sharpness is most of the times a consequence of raised 8-9kHz, while these Senns have raised 5-6kHz instead which make them splashy but not sharp.

Sep 9, 2016 at 6:01 PM Post #6,711 of 9,298

More of a baby HD800 than a bigger HD650. HD650 is tweaked very differently.
In fact HD700 is HD800's younger brother, not as smart or studious, but more badass.

I don't find the HD700 to be sharp sounding, in my experience sharpness is most of the times a consequence of raised 8-9kHz, while these Senns have raised 5-6kHz instead which make them splashy but not sharp.

I would agree with you 100%, if listening to them at normal or even loud levels. I have noticed, though (on SS amp that is) that if you listen to them at levels that are a lot too loud (like a lot of youngsters tend to do) they are pretty hot in that upper register, and even hurts the ears (fatigue) pretty quick. This is coming from someone that has a -10 db hearing loss of 14kHz and above. If kept at a normal to lound volume level, I have NEVER had any issues with sibilance, too hot, fatigue, etc...

I don't have any equipment to qualify my arguments, but if you own the FiiO DAPs (X3II in particular), I can say that 80-100 volume is max for my comfort level (out of 120). Anything above about 100 is where I start to hear the shrillness, hot, fatiguing, etc... trebles. 

Sep 9, 2016 at 6:11 PM Post #6,712 of 9,298
Well just got my Tung Sol 5998 and Telefunken 12au7 for my Bottlehead Crack and this might be the only way I listen to the 700's from now on. The bass was good before but now it is amazing and the highs just smoothed out a little . Just what they needed. I am a happy boy today.

Sep 9, 2016 at 6:50 PM Post #6,713 of 9,298
So what's a good cheap-ish IEM with a similar sound sig? The RE-400 seemed close but not quite.

Sep 9, 2016 at 6:54 PM Post #6,714 of 9,298
So what's a good cheap-ish IEM with a similar sound sig? The RE-400 seemed close but not quite.
If the Echobox Finder X-1's had the soundstage they would be pretty close.

Sep 9, 2016 at 7:20 PM Post #6,715 of 9,298
Well just got my Tung Sol 5998 and Telefunken 12au7 for my Bottlehead Crack and this might be the only way I listen to the 700's from now on. The bass was good before but now it is amazing and the highs just smoothed out a little . Just what they needed. I am a happy boy today.

couldn't agree more
beerchug.gif

Sep 9, 2016 at 7:23 PM Post #6,716 of 9,298

Will these fit in a Little Dot? I was looking at the Mullards but I'm definitely curious what else is out there with a little warmth to 'em.

Sep 9, 2016 at 7:33 PM Post #6,718 of 9,298

Users who are viewing this thread

Back