Sennheiser HD 700 Impressions Thread
Mar 10, 2016 at 11:30 AM Post #6,001 of 9,298
HD 700 vs HD 650

Thanks for this detailed review!

I'm sure those who love the HD650 will point out that that headphone truly shines with certain amps ( BH Crack and Valhalla are the two I hear often ), but your findings match what I found in a week of comparing the two on my system. The only thing that didn't connect for me was your note re: not being able to listen for more than a short time. I haven't found that to be true of my HD700s, but then I'm using a tube amp and my frame of reference is a Grado PS500.

Very curious to hear your comparison of HD700 and HD800. 

Mar 10, 2016 at 11:50 AM Post #6,002 of 9,298
I'm using a tube hybrid. Project Ember. And my reference is HD 650. HD 650 has far less treble energy.

Something like Soundmagic E80s or Philips E80s are also too bright for me.

And then, probably with greater use I may get accustomed to use them for prolonged use. But coming from the HD 650, the HD 650 doesn't have those treble peaks.

A lot of the HD 700's peak is just enhanced clarity and clearness though. :)

Mar 10, 2016 at 12:46 PM Post #6,003 of 9,298
I'm not sure whether these HD 700 headphones have been burned in or not. But. Neither do I care. Because I'm not a big believer in burn in making a radical difference to the sound. At least in the majority of cases. Anyway, just mentioned this to explicitly state that I've no idea.

How much time have I spent with Sennheiser's HD 700 so far?

Not much. Less than 24 hrs in fact. But. I've already listened to a few songs I'm reasonably familiar with.

I think you will find that the headphones sound vastly different when "burned" in for a while, which "less than 24 hours" isn't.  You're also comparing a pair of headphones that you've ran less than 24 hours against a pair you've had burned in for 2 years.  Yeah, I know you still rate the HD700 better than the 650, but still.... less than 24 hour burn in time, and not extensive testing.

Here's my point - if your read my first post here, you'll see I hated mine and was considering sending them back. Contrast that with my last thoughts here, and I'm now very satisfied with the HD700. What's changed?... burn in time.

Again, I know your rate the HD700's high, but it's your testing methodology I question.

My two cents.

Mar 10, 2016 at 12:53 PM Post #6,004 of 9,298
I think you will find that the headphones sound vastly different when "burned" in for a while, which "less than 24 hours" isn't.  You're also comparing a pair of headphones that you've ran less than 24 hours against a pair you've had burned in for 2 years.  Yeah, I know you still rate the HD700 better than the 650, but still.... less than 24 hour burn in time, and not extensive testing.

Here's my point - if your read my first post here, you'll see I hated mine and was considering sending them back. Contrast that with my last thoughts here, and I'm now very satisfied with the HD700. What's changed?... burn in time.

Again, I know your rate the HD700's high, but it's your testing methodology I question.

My two cents.

This is a demo unit from 2012. So probably burned in for several 100s of hours already. Just I'm not sure how long really.

But it is a demo unit from 2012. So probably burned in 100 to 1000+ hrs already. In all probability.

I'm talking about how much time I spent with them. :)

Mar 10, 2016 at 12:55 PM Post #6,005 of 9,298
The only problem with the HD 700 is that the treble can sometimes get very peaky. Some music is just unlistenable. Not so with the HD 650.

And my HD 650 didn't change audibly with burn in either. That is called the brain burning in. :)

Mar 10, 2016 at 1:01 PM Post #6,006 of 9,298
This is a demo unit from 2012. So probably burned in for several 100s of hours already. Just I'm not sure how long really.

You stated in your review you didn't believe in burn in and that you listened to them less than 24 hours, you never mentioned that they were a demo model with lots of time on them, which makes a big difference,  especially when posting a review.

At any rate thanks for clarifying.

Mar 10, 2016 at 1:16 PM Post #6,007 of 9,298
The HD 650 is a lot more natural, musical, smoother and without the treble fatigue. But doesn't compare with the HD 700 on technical prowess. :)

Honestly, given the same price:

If you only listen to neutral/dull music you should seriously consider the HD 700.

If you listen to a lot of modern/pop music that is often bright, stick to the HD 650. Regardless of price.

The HD 800 isn't peaky like the HD 700 though.

Mar 10, 2016 at 6:26 PM Post #6,008 of 9,298

My two cents.

I'd agree he didn't listen/test it long enough, but even if he gave it more time, the sound wouldn't change at all. I've had my HD700 since June and it sounds exactly the same as it did when I got it. In the 8 years I've been in this hoddy, there has never been one headphone that sounded different after extended use.

I'm one of the people who think burn in is just hokus pokus, but to each their own.

Mar 10, 2016 at 6:33 PM Post #6,009 of 9,298

I'd agree he didn't listen/test it long enough, but even if he gave it more time, the sound wouldn't change at all. I've had my HD700 since June and it sounds exactly the same as it did when I got it. In the 8 years I've been in this hoddy, there has never been one headphone that sounded different after extended use.

I'm one of the people who think burn in is just hokus pokus, but to each their own.

You have never owned a pair of Ether-C's then because it made a noticeable change in the sound.

Mar 10, 2016 at 6:34 PM Post #6,010 of 9,298

I guess we all have different ways of hearing, seeing, and doing things. That was just my opinion based on popular theory and personal experience. But that's me.

Peace
cool.gif

Mar 10, 2016 at 6:37 PM Post #6,011 of 9,298
I wasn't trying to single you out or anything, but was stating my opinion as well. I just think there's no thing as burn in.

Mar 10, 2016 at 6:42 PM Post #6,012 of 9,298
I might agree on dynamic headphones but it did make a difference on the Ether-C's. I could not tell any difference on the 700's but did on the Ether-C's. YMMV

Mar 10, 2016 at 7:09 PM Post #6,013 of 9,298
  I might agree on dynamic headphones but it did make a difference on the Ether-C's. I could not tell any difference on the 700's but did on the Ether-C's. YMMV

I was going to reply to you post, but you edited it differently now. I never owned anything from MrSpeakers because nothing he made (I have not heard the Ether) was ever impressive or worth the price to me. I couldn't get past the fact he was using modded Fostex headphones, and nothing could convince me to want to buy them.

EDIT: I should clarify more. His stuff was good, but was it worth what he was asking compared to what the unmodded items costs? No way IMO. But lets not get too off topic. I don't want a flame war.

Mar 10, 2016 at 7:47 PM Post #6,014 of 9,298

I was going to reply to you post, but you edited it differently now. I never owned anything from MrSpeakers because nothing he made (I have not heard the Ether) was ever impressive or worth the price to me. I couldn't get past the fact he was using modded Fostex headphones, and nothing could convince me to want to buy them.

EDIT: I should clarify more. His stuff was good, but was it worth what he was asking compared to what the unmodded items costs? No way IMO. But lets not get too off topic. I don't want a flame war.

No flame war here. I like the planar sound so i can be a little bias I will admit. Do yourself a favor and listen to a pair of Ether's you won't regret it. The Ether's are not modded but his(Dan Clark) own design. The soundstage of the Ether-C is on par with the 700 (pretty good for a closed back headphone) . The 700 might be a bit better but not by much. I really like both but if I had to pic one it would be the C's. Every one has there likes and dislikes and that is good. Audio is too subjective for each ear that it is not worthy of flames.

Mar 10, 2016 at 7:59 PM Post #6,015 of 9,298
I might go try the Ether sometime, but for now I am content with what I have. That is unless you'd let me borrow yours :wink:

I know the Ethers are his own design, which is pretty damn cool. Going from modding headphone, to making your own. That's really cool.

I think this thread has been derailed enough though. Back to the HD700 discussion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back