Sennheiser HD 700 Impressions Thread
Feb 12, 2013 at 7:07 AM Post #331 of 9,298
ALSO, could be this! Its just with some tracks and I think its also bothering me just because/when I´m fixating on it

m17xr2b, what dac are you using?

Feb 12, 2013 at 7:11 AM Post #332 of 9,298
Quote:
Well, they are pretty revealing cans which are tuned with a treble tilt so if the recording is sibilant that is what you get. Listen to better recordings or just swap cans. 
size]

That's what I'm doing at the moment 
etysmile.gif

figured out that mp3 quality (which I normally don't use) is extremely bad but it happens also with some wav tracks. than it could be the recording quality

Feb 12, 2013 at 7:11 AM Post #333 of 9,298
Quote:
Well, they are pretty revealing cans which are tuned with a treble tilt so if the recording is sibilant that is what you get. Listen to better recordings or just swap cans. 
size]

Agreed.  In most instances, I've located the sibilance in the source, it's just more pronounced with these phones.

Feb 12, 2013 at 7:16 AM Post #334 of 9,298
Quote:
Agreed.  In most instances, I've located the sibilance in the source, it's just more pronounced with these phones.

what would you suggest as change for me?

Feb 12, 2013 at 7:44 AM Post #335 of 9,298
Quote:
what would you suggest as change for me?

In my case, I'm using a decent DAC/amp, a Fostex HP-A7, which pairs well with Sennheiser, and since both the phones and amp are new, I can't make many upgrades for some time.  I'm still burning in my 700s, but like you am noticing the sibilance on some files.  But after switching phones, and listening to different tracks, I'm discovering that much if not all of it was always there--I'm just noticing it now with these more revealing phones.  Assuming there's nothing wrong with your 700s and amps, or any of the connections, then it's possible you'll have to be selective with your listening choices.  I've noticed more sibilance in older recordings, jazz and classical, esp. if playing from lossy files.  I've been seeking our some pristine recordings, quiet vocals or piano to listen for sibilance, and finding that the hissing is not in the headphones but in the recordings.  I'm not sure if this is helpful in your case, but I understand your concern.

Feb 12, 2013 at 8:29 AM Post #336 of 9,298
Quote:
But after switching phones, and listening to different tracks, I'm discovering that much if not all of it was always there--I'm just noticing it now with these more revealing phones.

Thx for your reply! Tried that and I couldn't agree more! I compared the most sibilant songs to other cans and after the sibilance was revealed by the HD700 I heard it even with my HD650 ( not as pronounced as with the 700 but still obvious), what I never expected!

Feb 12, 2013 at 8:40 AM Post #337 of 9,298
Quote:
Thx for your reply! Tried that and I couldn't agree more! I compared the most sibilant songs to other cans and after the sibilance was revealed by the HD700 I heard it even with my HD650 ( not as pronounced as with the 700 but still obvious), what I never expected!

It's pretty remarkable and exciting how much is revealed, but is forcing me to rearrange in reconstitute my archive.

Feb 12, 2013 at 8:42 AM Post #338 of 9,298
There is few albums I absolutely adore that I can't listen with the HD700, The Strokes -Is this It, is one of them. The better your system become the more you start detecting faults in poor or average recordings you used to enjoy with run of the mill headphones. 

Feb 12, 2013 at 9:00 AM Post #339 of 9,298
Quote:
There is few albums I absolutely adore that I can't listen with the HD700, The Strokes -Is this It, is one of them. The better your system become the more you start detecting faults in poor or average recordings you used to enjoy with run of the mill headphones. 

True!  I'm also finding that I enjoy listening to things that just sound good on the 700s.

Feb 12, 2013 at 2:58 PM Post #342 of 9,298
Quote:

I've had a couple songs (out of 35 hours of listening) that were sibilant as well and the first thing I did was compare with the HD650 and found the same thing.  The sibilant spots were still there just not as obvious.  I chalk it up to a poorly recorded song.

Feb 12, 2013 at 9:25 PM Post #343 of 9,298
I'm picking these up to replace a set of K702 65th Anniversary editions, which all told are pretty nice. The 65s cost me about $429, I bought the 700s for $730 from Crutchfield. I've only had the opportunity to listen to the 700s alongside the 800s for about an hour total, but I really liked the 700s a lot more. I think I spent maybe 10m of that hour listening to the 800s feeling like I was obligated to give them another shot and then another and then another. On the other hand the 700s were immediately enjoyable and if I'd had $1k on me I probably would have bought on the spot.

Anyway, waiting on those 700s now, going to spend a day ABing the hell out of them with the 65s and will keep whichever feels best. I'm just hoping my little amp is up for the job with 300mW at 150 Ω.

I've read that the 700s do well with tubes, and I have a few to try ... are any of you guys amping with tubes and if so do you have a favorite with them? I have a variety of 6DJ8/6922/7308/Cca types & looking for one with the best synergy. I'm hoping they go well with an Amperex PQ or Telefunken Cca.

EDIT: One more thing, I see a lot of people griping about the price tag & I agree $1k does seem excessive. Is $730 for these an OK deal or still too much (mine are refurb, but there was no tax or shipping.)

Feb 12, 2013 at 10:15 PM Post #344 of 9,298
Congrats on the purchase! I'm sure that you're real going to enjoy them!
I prefer a tube amp with the HD700 and have had luck with Amperex PQ's in the Schiit Lyr. I've also heard good things about the Telefunken Cca's. I'm sure your amp will drive them to adequate levels.. every once in awhile I use the Audioquest DragonFly which drives them loud enough but the Lyr adds great dynamics and authority. Which amp are you going to be using?
Whatever the price is, is it worth it to you? $730 sound like a screaming good deal but I'm in Canada. I have no regrets on the $1K I paid for mine. I'm really enjoying them long after the the bill has been paid.

Quote:
I'm picking these up to replace a set of K702 65th Anniversary editions, which all told are pretty nice. The

Anyway, waiting on those 700s now, going to spend a day ABing the hell out of them with the 65s and will keep whichever feels best. I'm just hoping my little amp is up for the job with 300mW at 150 Ω.

I've read that the 700s do well with tubes, and I have a few to try ... are any of you guys amping with tubes and if so do you have a favorite with them? I have a variety of 6DJ8/6922/7308/Cca types & looking for one with the best synergy. I'm hoping they go well with an Amperex PQ or Telefunken Cca.

EDIT: One more thing, I see a lot of people griping about the price tag & I agree $1k does seem excessive. Is $730 for these an OK deal or still too much (mine are refurb, but there was no tax or shipping.)

Feb 12, 2013 at 10:20 PM Post #345 of 9,298
My E9 puts out around 317mW into 150Ω and they sound fantastic, so you shouldn't have any problem.

I think $730 is fantastic deal.  Sennheiser should price them: HD650 for $350, HD700 for $700, and HD800 for $1400.  I think they would sell more HD700's at that price, they wouldn't be so close to the HD800 then.

Edit: I also feel the LCD-2 should be around $600 not $1000

Users who are viewing this thread

Back