Sennheiser HD 650s or AudioQuest Nighthawks?
Nov 19, 2016 at 12:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Grado Diesel

100+ Head-Fier
I've narrowed my search down those these two cans to pair with my FIIO X3II->Schiit Vali 2. Been running my old Grado SR80i's for about 5 months with my FIIO and a couple months with my Vali 2 and I'm ready to step away from the eardrum drill press of the Grados into a darker can. I've been getting a lot of suggestions towards these two cans. Between the two, which would be better suited for good ole British rock'n'roll like the Stones, Humble Pie, Zep, Jeff Beck and the
American modern classic The Black Crowes?
Got some suggestions for the HD 600s as well but I'd like to get away from the piercing highs. I also read an article about how sensitive bright headphones may be better for listeners who play their music at lower levels and I could totally see that as my Grados are better low, but I want to be able to turn it up a bit in comfort.

Nov 19, 2016 at 12:24 PM Post #2 of 14
The only thing that I can tell you is that the AQ NightHawk are one of the best headphones that I have heard in my life.  Better than everything under $1000.

The HD650 are also very good but you will have to buy a very good amp to match the performance of the NightHawk with the Vali 2.

NH + Vali 2 is better than HD650 + Vali 2.

Good luck!

Nov 19, 2016 at 1:01 PM Post #3 of 14
The only thing that I can tell you is that the AQ NightHawk are one of the best headphones that I have heard in my life.  Better than everything under $1000.

The HD650 are also very good but you will have to buy a very good amp to match the performance of the NightHawk with the Vali 2.

Good luck!

Now that's good to know! Anybody else tried the 650s with the Vali 2? The build quality of the NHs looks so appealing too.

Nov 19, 2016 at 2:32 PM Post #10 of 14

Good luck!

I agree. I would say the Nighthawk is a better 650. They have similar sound signatures, but the Nighthawk has better bass and treble extension plus better clarity and speed. It's a very resolving HP. SS is a little wider on the 650, but depth is better on the Nighthawk.

Nighthawk is a little warmer, thicker than 650, but still more natural in the treble.

I would think the Nighthawk would scale even better than the 650 because of it's lower distortion. Maybe, someone can confirm?

IMO the Nighthawk is better, and would recommend checking it out first. If you like it, there's no need for the 650.

Nov 19, 2016 at 2:38 PM Post #11 of 14
I agree. I would say the Nighthawk is a better 650. They have similar sound signatures, but the Nighthawk has better bass and treble extension plus better clarity and speed. It's a very resolving HP. SS is a little wider on the 650, but depth is better on the Nighthawk.

Nighthawk is a little warmer, thicker than 650, but still more natural in the treble.

I would think the Nighthawk would scale even better than the 650 because of it's lower distortion. Maybe, someone can confirm?

IMO the Nighthawk is better, and would recommend checking it out first. If you like it, there's no need for the 650.

It's definitely becoming more of a toss up between the Nighthawks and the HE-400i's for me. It's going to be a real shot in the dark because I'm damn near 300 miles away from a store with a headphone display, so whichever one I pick I'm hoping is suited for rock'n'roll.

Nov 19, 2016 at 2:41 PM Post #12 of 14
It's definitely becoming more of a toss up between the Nighthawks and the HE-400i's for me. It's going to be a real shot in the dark because I'm damn near 300 miles away from a store with a headphone display, so whichever one I pick I'm hoping is suited for rock'n'roll.

That is a tough choice indeed

If it was me (and i had to take a shot in the dark) I'd go nighthawk since hifiman keeps rolling out models

but thats me :D

I dont think you'd be disappointed either way

Nov 19, 2016 at 3:24 PM Post #14 of 14

You should buy both and keep the pair that you prefer.

The NightHawk are only $328 at Crutchfield and the promotion is ending at the end of this month.  After November 30th they will cost $599.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back