Sennheiser HD 650 Mod Compilation
Aug 17, 2016 at 12:59 AM Post #46 of 66
  Ok, i will take a deeper look, thank you very much
And those models have about the same sound quality as the HD 600 ??

Well I would say the TH-X00 Ebony is the closest to the HD 600 sound, while the TH-900 Zolkis mod and the HP-100 & 150 mods are closer to perhaps the AKG K7XX ('darker' limited edition of the AKG K701 series), and the Ether C Flow (closed version) is closer to the HD-650 sound, yet these are all in the same general ballpark signature as the HD-600 in that they all have a moderately neutral frequency response (FR), moderately detailed / clean sounding, good dynamics (drums hit hard), organic tonality and good sounstage.

However I would also be highly interested in reading any impressions on the Headphile modded headphones too. 
darthsmile.gif

Sep 12, 2016 at 6:33 PM Post #47 of 66
New foam add-on for increased punchyness

Here's a little add-on to my HD-650 mod that I came up with yesterday. While giving it a test listen without the grills, I happened to place my finger over the open hole in the center of the driver, the one which is revealed after removing the 'spider' (shown in the center of this photo). Upon completely closing this hole, I noticed a drastic change in bass response. So then I experimented covering it with cotton pads then kleenex, but only to get an overtly muffled / bass shy result.

Next I tried 3mm low density foam sheets (this one for 2 Euros each). This foam is such a low density that one layer literally makes no difference. But then I realised that the space between the driver and the grill should give just about a perfect distance to stack several layers of this stuff in, holding itself in place. So after several thickness attemps, I finally settled on 10 layers (a simple folding process outlined below).

The difference I noticed after multiple critical listening comparisons (in mono with only one side modded at a time, switching the direction on my head to account for possible R/L hearing difference) was bass through mids that seem to have a faster attack / release - that is to say a bit punchier / more dynamic. If anything else, possibly a nuance of reduced mid-bass and treble - but as mentioned these were only changed the slightest of the slightest amount, if any at all. Overall I'm quite pleased with how similar this mod now sounds to the HD-600. It's like the bass off the 650 without the mid-bass bloat, the dynamics of the 600 and treble that may be somewhere between the two.... That is, in addition to my mod mentioned here.

METHOD:
  1. Cut a rectangle of this low density foam, about 1x3" inches, then fold it in half the long way

1. Fold it four times, so you get a total of 10 layers (I suck at math but somehow it added up to ten, LOL)
  2. Place the folded foam in the center of the HD-650 with the grill off
  3. With your finger still holding it in place attempt to replace the grill while keeping it in the center. Re-open slightly to nudge it into position if necessary, and it will stay in place

Finished product

Of course feel free to experiment with different types of foam, and granted there was already a foam cover on this headphone stock. But IMO, this is an improvement from the original.

Sep 30, 2016 at 7:32 PM Post #48 of 66
I used the hd650 for a couple of years. once I got the hd800 + sonarworks, the hd650 seemed really lacking in clarity and air. I removed the spider/foam and im waiting for the dynamat!
so far, im blown away by the added clarity that removing the spider/foam do to the sound. its almost like a new headphone.
I now prefer as much the modded 650 as the hd800 + eq. and I may even prefer hd650 over a non eq'ed hd800.

the mods really adds air and clarity and dynamic. it doesnt sound constrained at all, sounds punch and seems much more dynamic and less flat.

Oct 18, 2016 at 8:44 PM Post #49 of 66
Has anyone ever tried to directly solder to the drivers and remove the connector and voice coil wires coming from the driver ?

Oct 18, 2016 at 9:25 PM Post #50 of 66
  Has anyone ever tried to directly solder to the drivers and remove the connector and voice coil wires coming from the driver ?

Removing the voice coil leads will ruin the sound, guaranteed.  On the other hand, it would help make the headphone far more efficient.

I'm sure a few guys have been hardcore enough to do away with the connectors and solder straight to the voice coil leads.

Nov 18, 2016 at 11:44 PM Post #51 of 66
Hi guys, HD-650 modder checking in

The above mod with added foam in the middle is really doing me right - with the 'spider' removed leaving the rear of the driver exposed in the center, it did add some clarity but for me I could never get over the treble signature - it was not only slightly brigher, but somewhat off kilter IMO. It's hard to put into words but it was something like a nuance addition of fingernails on a chalkboard but several times higher pitch. The above shown foam mod in place of the 'spider' in the middle not only fixed that, leaving a super pleasing lifelike treble charactor, but also seemed to up the dynamics a bit too.

However I get the feeling that most who mod the HD 650 are leaning towards a brighter / snappier / punchier sound, more similar to the HD 600. If this fit's anyone, I'd highly recommend the Audio Technica ATH-R70x 'can, which fits this bill perfectly. I've auditioned it before and can't get over how sweet / dynamic / lush / detailed it was. It's slightly bright but not overtly so. I'll be trying that one again soon, pondering a purchase to compliment the HD-650 sound which it can do in a very nice way!

Also I noticed earlier someone posted a link to a competitor of Head-FI which has since been deleted; another major hi-fi audio discussion forum that mention of is strictly banned on Head-Fi... the one ending in "Friends". I am not a moderator but am posting this with anyone in mind, that posting those competitor links can result in swift moderation.

Nov 30, 2016 at 3:03 PM Post #52 of 66
Can you please provide more information about the R70x? 

Many people say it's good - but not great. HD650 supposedly beats it most areas? Can you describe the differences between them ?

Dec 5, 2016 at 8:46 AM Post #54 of 66
I'm seriously curious about the woody mods. Has anyone tried them here? May consider this down the line.

Dec 23, 2016 at 3:54 PM Post #56 of 66
  Would an OCC cable sound better than the stock cable?

Good question, I've been wanting to know the answer to that too. You may get a better response from the HD-650 impressions thread though. But remember "better" is a dangerously subjective word, meaning what might be perceived at better to one person may not be to another. I would recommend asking what specific sonic changes you're looking for and see which type of cable would achieve that for you. I've tried on OCC silver cable on another headphone and the differences I heard after extensive testing were increased clarity / transient response and overall resolution, though a somewhat brighter overall tonality. If that's those are the same results on HD-650 I'm not sure if the differences would be too overdone or not.

Dec 23, 2016 at 6:11 PM Post #57 of 66
  Good question, I've been wanting to know the answer to that too. You may get a better response from the HD-650 impressions thread though. But remember "better" is a dangerously subjective word, meaning what might be perceived at better to one person may not be to another. I would recommend asking what specific sonic changes you're looking for and see which type of cable would achieve that for you. I've tried on OCC silver cable on another headphone and the differences I heard after extensive testing were increased clarity / transient response and overall resolution, though a somewhat brighter overall tonality. If that's those are the same results on HD-650 I'm not sure if the differences would be too overdone or not.

Some people pay a fortune (IMHO) for cables. But if you stripped sown said expensive cables, you could probably get the materials pretty reasonably. I;ve seen some handmade cables online that are pretty reasonable. But they aren't reasonable if they don't make a positive difference.

The cable that came with my Sennheiser HD 6xx is shorter than the one that comes with the HD 650 and it has the 3.5mm plug on the end.

Jan 14, 2017 at 6:08 PM Post #58 of 66
(QUOTE: During the process I realised how strange this is to put dynamat in this direction; that is facing away from the driver, and being in a location that covers nothing besides solid plastic surface. Because generally the purpose of dynamat is to absorb reflections of high frequences which is almost always done facing the driver. As such, I wasn't surprised that initially I couldn't really hear much difference when it was just the top, middle & bottom strips as UT had used above. When I really started noticing a difference was after I added more, per the photo. Finally this was starting to add a but more punch to the drums. As far as I can tell, the only benefit of using dynamat at all on this mod other than possibly looking shiny, is that just maybe it absorbs a nuance of the high frequencies from bouncing around inside the earcup more than once)

I just wanted to make reference to what exactly DynaMat does. It does not obsorb frequencies like foam or padding does. It does however change the resonant frequency of the material it is attached too by converting that energy into heat. It does not matter what side of the plastic you attach it too. If it were "facing" the driver it would not change the affect it has. MadMax touched on this.

So by lowering the plastics resonance frequency it is less likely to introduce audible distortion to the headphone. It quiets the reverberations. As an example if you were to hit a cymbal then put a large piece of chewed bubble gum on it you would hear the cymbal get much quieter. You would have just changed the resonant frequency of that cymbal. It would sound "dead" in comparison. The DynaMat works to "deaden" the headphone plastic therefore removing unwanted sound.

I hope this clears things up a little.....pun intended :)

Apr 12, 2017 at 9:12 AM Post #59 of 66
Hi guys,

Question for you...actually two questions...

First is, how many mils thick should the Dynamat be? Second, for the acoustic damping over the center after the spider is removed...what foam is used? Is it the same foam as used in air conditioner filters?

Thanks

Apr 12, 2017 at 2:13 PM Post #60 of 66
  Hi guys,

Question for you...actually two questions...

First is, how many mils thick should the Dynamat be? Second, for the acoustic damping over the center after the spider is removed...what foam is used? Is it the same foam as used in air conditioner filters?

Thanks

Hello, all dynamat sheets are approximately the same width, perhaps about 1/10th of an inch so just get any dynamat sheet. Make sure it's the kind that has butyl which is like black putty on the back so it will adhere to the plastic of the headphone and that the silver part is facing outward as shown in my photos above. There is no right/wrong way to attach foam after the spider is removed, and this spider removal step may even be redundant as there was already a type of foam under the spider before the mod; what worked best for me was folded layers of this low density sheet I ordered online from the Netherlands. But I would say AC filters seem to have too high of density for this purpose. The improvement I heard though from adding foam in the center was a more evened out treble response rather than the shrill / artificial sound I got from an opening on the driver.

Much of the point of the the HD-650 mods actually seems to be altering the sound to make it sound more similar to their HD-600 (EG brighter, punchier), so you may also want to consider just getting a Senn. HD-600 headphone instead. I currently own both and often I'm more satisfied with the HD-600 when I want an overal leaner sound with more detail, treble and improved dynamics.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back