Sennheiser HD 650 Mod Compilation
Aug 5, 2016 at 11:48 AM Post #32 of 66
I've never been fully happy with dynamat facing a driver, and if excess HF is an issue behind a driver, I just use fiberfill.
Dynamat helps kill the slight vibrations that contribute to treble peaks and (mildly) poorer sound quality in most headphones, so after adding the stuff, the sound usually becomes tighter, clearer, and even more detailed to some degree, depending on the headphone.  Bass extension may improve, soundstage imaging may also improve.  It didn't have any effect on my Momentum on-ear or K553, example, but K553 did need fiberfill treatment instead to reduce cup reverb.

Anyway, I never tried removing the "spider" and its foam, I might try it after reacquiring HD650.  I don't like the idea of brightening HD650 at all, however.  I used as much Dynamat as UntilThen, and loved the improvement a lot.  It tightened up the sound, widened the soundstage, and removed the bit of harshness in the lower treble.  Replacing the stock 1/4" plug on the original cable with an Amphenol 1/4" improves detail, control, and clears up the bass and treble.  Subbass starts coming through so tight and clear, then the Dynamat improved things more.  Alternatively a complete recable, but I wasn't in a mood to build a whole cable at the time.

I wish I could get rid of the reverb that HD650's housing adds to music.  My friend heard HD600, said the reverb sounds like a "train station" to him.  Nicely put.  Closed-back headphones often suffer from some kind of reverb that sometimes can be described as a "concert hall" effect, to my ears.  Dynamat on the back of the driver only partly alleviates the issue for HD650.  I'm thinking that the remaining issue is the chamber housing the magnet and diaphragm themselves, it might be what needs a little fiberfill, but getting in there safely without hurting the diaphragm is probably not feasilbe.

Aug 5, 2016 at 11:54 PM Post #33 of 66
@mad max might want to put dynamat directly on the driver (after removing spider) in addition to dynamat on the housing, It reduces the reverberation the most.

Aug 11, 2016 at 7:05 PM Post #34 of 66
Or get a few beers & a smoke.

Aug 14, 2016 at 12:21 PM Post #36 of 66
hello
would anyone please tell me how / what exactly / to order for the Sennheiser HD 600 ?
I'd like to have something like this :
http://cdn-ak.f.st-hatena.com/images/fotolife/w/web123/20090930/20090930235259.jpg

thank you

Aug 14, 2016 at 9:37 PM Post #38 of 66
Go to Headphile.com.

Aug 15, 2016 at 4:49 AM Post #39 of 66
I did, but i don't know how to select the product (  Deep Closed Wood cups for Sennheiser HD 600  ) 
There are so many options. I don't want cables, etc. Only the wood cups

Thank you

Aug 15, 2016 at 1:02 PM Post #40 of 66
Ignore the rest of the page outside of the Senn V2 Cables section.
Leave the default choices alone where you see the cable options, then select None under Cable Length.  You'll get wood cups only that way.
Then under Senn Woodies, select what you want.  Extra Options can be left alone, if you wish, though you'll have to email him about what "Full Screened" and "CJC" are.
Then select whatever shipping option you need under Shipping... right below Extra Options then click Add to Cart.
Then you can email him to confirm the order or if you have any more questions.

Aug 15, 2016 at 9:12 PM Post #41 of 66
Thanks a million, Mad Max
One more question about those wood cups, please : i like a lot the Sennheiser HD 600 but my wife ( when she is in the same room ) is getting very frusrtated ( lol ) because of the loud sound leaked
Does this cups really help ??

Aug 15, 2016 at 9:35 PM Post #42 of 66
No guarantees as you will still be using velour pads, but it should be a little less leaked noise.  I think someone put HM5 pads on his HD600 or HD650 and posted about it around here.  You could try that.

What will you put in the cups to reduce the cup resonances?

Aug 16, 2016 at 4:00 AM Post #43 of 66
  No guarantees as you will still be using velour pads, but it should be a little less leaked noise.  I think someone put HM5 pads on his HD600 or HD650 and posted about it around here.  You could try that.

What will you put in the cups to reduce the cup resonances?

" What will you put in the cups to reduce the cup resonances? "
I dont understand the question.Can you give more details, please ?
Another question : are there any closed headphones, as good ( or better ) as the HD600 ??

LE : with the HM5 pads / wood cups / for HD600, will the sound be the same or worse ??

Aug 16, 2016 at 2:26 PM Post #44 of 66
Absolutely there are numerous closed headphones that sound quite on par with the HD-600; these being the ones I have tried multiple times and would say are quite complementary to the Senn. HD sound signature: 
* Fostex TH-X00 Ebony
* Fostex TH-900 (Zolkis mod that you would apply yourself)
* Ether C Flow from Mr. Speakers
* Soundmagic HP-100 or HP-150 (Tru Fi Speakers mod; see link below in my signature)
* One of the upcoming new prototype mods from headphone modding guru @Packdemon. He is working on groundbreaking closed mods of DT-770, DT-1770, etc. and you can contact him directly

These are sure to please closed headphones, most of which are just being released. Save for posting impressions of each on this thread, you can instead find a wealth of information from a simple search for each of these here on Head-Fi. 

What will you put in the cups to reduce the cup resonances? Referred to adding dampening material such as foam patches inside the earcup of the headphone to reduce reverb / reflection, which is often a vital component of refining a closed headphone.

However I would also be highly interested in reading any impressions on the Headphile modded headphones too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back