Sennheiser HD 650, first time poster
Mar 14, 2011 at 12:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

tretneo

100+ Head-Fier
Hi Guys,

First post, been lurking (not trolling, thanks for the correction) for a while trying to gather info. It sounds like the Sennheiser HD 650 is pretty well liked by the community here and I'm thinking about going with them. I just picked up an iPad 2 and I'm planning to use the headphones with it as well as my Win7 desktop. I'm hoping to ask the opinion of some of the users here that have experience with these headphones.

1. I can get them for $320.99 free shipping. Is this a good deal? Seen better?
2. It sounds like I'll need an amp and a DAC for these headphones based on what I've read here. Any good suggestions for a setup that I can use going back and forth between the iPad and my desktop?
3. For audio out from the iPad should I get an LOD for use with an amp or go for a DAC with camera kit?

Thanks for your help guys. Love the wealth of knowledge here.

Rob

Mar 14, 2011 at 1:27 PM Post #4 of 8
Hi Guys,

First post, been lurking (not trolling, thanks for the correction) for a while trying to gather info. It sounds like the Sennheiser HD 650 is pretty well liked by the community here and I'm thinking about going with them. I just picked up an iPad 2 and I'm planning to use the headphones with it as well as my Win7 desktop. I'm hoping to ask the opinion of some of the users here that have experience with these headphones.

1. I can get them for $320.99 free shipping. Is this a good deal? Seen better?
2. It sounds like I'll need an amp and a DAC for these headphones based on what I've read here. Any good suggestions for a setup that I can use going back and forth between the iPad and my desktop?
3. For audio out from the iPad should I get an LOD for use with an amp or go for a DAC with camera kit?

Thanks for your help guys. Love the wealth of knowledge here.

Rob

Where can you get them for that price o_O It's gone up to $350 since last month I believe. Definitely get it for that price.

Mar 14, 2011 at 7:37 PM Post #5 of 8
Do you have an integrated or HT amp there? If so try it with the 650s before even considering a dedicated amp. If not then think about some of the bargains on quality brand integrated amps just a few years old on Ebay.

Mar 16, 2011 at 6:52 PM Post #6 of 8
no need to go crazy on DACs since all i-devices are limited to 16/44 anyway but the HRT iStreamer would be a nice place to start since it can get a digital signal from almost any i-device (which is rare) but it's not completely portable.  Actually, I guess it uses a wall-wart so it's not portable at all.  But there are youtube reviews of using it with the ipad so I'd look those up too.

I don't have a iPad so I'm not up on the camera kit but any time you use a line-out (ie the LOD) you are automaticaly not using a DAC anyway.  You can't line out to a DAC.

And yes, to get full benefits of the 650 you will want to amp it.

Mar 17, 2011 at 12:38 AM Post #7 of 8
I'm using an ipod touch with a quality y-cable to an nice headphone amp and AKG 701's. I have a pioneer CDP, but the itouch is so damn cool. Nice little setup I have going. I'm going to get a $20 dock with a line-out to see the difference next week.

Considering you don't even have the HD650's....worry about powering them first (I used a Pioneer stereo receiver for a while), and after the honey moon wears off worry about upgrading your DAC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back