Sennheiser HD 600 Questions.
Feb 2, 2011 at 12:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

sysfail

500+ Head-Fier
Hi I'm new to the forums but have been addicted to this hobby for a while now, and I always come here (from google search) to look up information on headphones and amps.
smile.gif

So I've been researching for a more high-end open headphone and ended up with the HD 600 as the ones I'll probably buy in the future (I've also looked at AKG 701/702, HD 580/650, Grado SR225i/325i, and Beyer DT880s and I'm not sure about them), but please tell me if there are better alternatives to the HD 600 at around the same price range. I listen to a large range of rock music, from indie/alternative to metalcore/hardcore, and some specific pop/hip-hop/rap music. I use a classic iPod with Apple Lossless music files and will buy the FiiO E7 and E9 combo to power the high-end headphone that I will buy.

I guess the first question is if the FiiO E7 and E9 will power the HD 600s well enough to really enjoy the music genre that I listen to?

I have a Sennheiser PXC 350 and a Grado sr80i and some other cheaper headphones (Will buy the Audio Technica ATH-M50s soon!). They sound great, but I just want that ONE headphone that will go above and beyond to a different realm when I listen to music.
L3000.gif
Will the HD 600s do that? Or are there better alternatives?

Thanks for the help!

Feb 2, 2011 at 2:33 AM Post #2 of 21
Not sure if this will help you, but it's a time kill.

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/537125/sennheiser-hd600-hd650-impressions-pictures

Feb 2, 2011 at 2:43 AM Post #3 of 21
Thanks for the reply! I've looked at that thread, but it doesn't really answer my questions.
frown.gif

Feb 2, 2011 at 7:37 AM Post #4 of 21
Yes, in fact the E7/E9 will provide you the power the drive the HD600 and most other high impedance phones well.  The HD600's sound signature is very neutral with a slight emphasis in the mid-range, an excellent signature for the rock genre.  Although, if you're looking for the ultimate option, especially for rock, you might want to check out Grado's RS2i, RS1i.  Many have stated that Grado's line is the best for rock and acoustic.

Feb 2, 2011 at 3:10 PM Post #5 of 21
Thanks! I'm glad to know it will work out. I know about the Grados too but the RS1s are just too expensive for me.
frown.gif

Feb 2, 2011 at 3:21 PM Post #6 of 21
Just to be aware, the HD600 probably will be underpowered by the e7, but definitely not the e9

I mention this only because you mentioned one of your sources to be an iPod Classic.... which suggests you might consider them for portable use.

I would argue that the HD600 is not portable, at all.

Feb 2, 2011 at 3:32 PM Post #7 of 21
Oh no I'm definitely not going to take the HD 600 outside, I'm just using the iPod Classic to play the music indoors. :) I usually just use cheap earbuds outdoors.
tongue_smile.gif

Feb 2, 2011 at 3:34 PM Post #8 of 21

Quote:
Oh no I'm definitely not going to take the HD 600 outside, I'm just using the iPod Classic to play the music indoors. :) I usually just use cheap earbuds outdoors.
tongue_smile.gif

Good call.

I'd recommend utilizing the DAC feature of the e7/e9 combo and running USB with a PC/Mac than running Line-in with the iPod, however.

I found the signal on my e9 to be much cleaner via DAC combo than line in.

Edit: Don't bother with the e7 if you don't plan on using the DAC function?

Feb 2, 2011 at 3:37 PM Post #9 of 21
If I use one of the FiiO L1/L3 connectors for the iPod would it be the same thing? Rather than doing the Line-in.

Feb 2, 2011 at 5:18 PM Post #10 of 21

Quote:
If I use one of the FiiO L1/L3 connectors for the iPod would it be the same thing? Rather than doing the Line-in.

You'd still be running LOD out of the iPod into the Line In port of the e9.

While this prevents "piggybacking" the amps (You're essentially bypassing the amp of the iPod by running LOD), you still aren't utilizing the DAC function.

If you plan to do this I recommend saving the extra $ by not getting the e7, since it's primary functions are portable amplification and more importantly, digital to analog conversion.

You might be able to spend the extra money on a better amplifier. even. 

If you already HAVE the e7/e9, running USB out of a PC/mac is the best way to go :)

Feb 2, 2011 at 5:50 PM Post #11 of 21
Oh, I thought the e7 docked with the e9 will utilize the DAC function of the e7 and use the amp of the e9?

Feb 2, 2011 at 5:55 PM Post #12 of 21

Quote:
Oh, I thought the e7 docked with the e9 will utilize the DAC function of the e7 and use the amp of the e9?

So close! haha

This is indeed true, but if you aren't feeding it a digital signal (like USB) there is nothing to convert.

Running line in will amplify the bypassed line out signal of the iPod (which will have already been converted in the DAP (iPod)) to an analog signal.

It should still be a decent signal, to be honest I have not tested the e9 to determine if the small white noise I was hearing was a result of the line in or the fact that I have a couple daisy chained devices when I run line-in for gaming (Like my TV).

It could very well be the TV interconnect that is the result of the noise.

I still recommend running a digital signal IF you are going to go with the FiiO combo, unless you plan on ditching the e7, in which case I further recommend spending the extra $ on a better amp

Feb 2, 2011 at 5:59 PM Post #13 of 21
Also,

I just wanted to say: Nice choice with the HD600.

I have heard it is a very neutral sounding headphone, and I personally prefer this sound signature as I feel they are multipurpose and general well-rounders.

Should suit the needs nicely!

Feb 2, 2011 at 6:10 PM Post #14 of 21
Thanks for the advices R-Audiohead! Yeah I was looking around for something more high-end around the price range of the HD600 that can play anything I throw at it with detail and clarity. I found that the HD600 will probably fit those needs!
beyersmile.png

Aug 21, 2012 at 5:30 PM Post #15 of 21
Ok, i got one stupid question. Are the HD600 any good with rock? And could somebody please test these with the Great Gig In The Sky by Pink Floyd? This is a very challenging song. Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back