Sennheiser HD-600 or Audio-Technica ATH-W100?
Nov 7, 2002 at 3:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

nevermorez

100+ Head-Fier
Hi there, I'm planning to get myself a new headphone during the Christmas. Apparently, I'm stuck between HD-600 and ATH-W100. The price is $229 and $345 respectively, but how about the sound? I have no idea except from the reviews and opinions that pepople posted. None of the stores carry them in the area I live. This is very unfortunate. So I really need you guys expert opinions on which one to get.

By the way, are those prices right? It seems to me that those prices are the lowest I can find.

Any suggestion and opinion will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

Nov 7, 2002 at 3:11 AM Post #2 of 7
First of all, are you considering an amp? Secondly, what kind of music do you listen to? The w100s are known to be very tempermental in that regard.

Nov 7, 2002 at 3:35 AM Post #3 of 7
Thanks for your fast response, andrzejpw.

To tell you the truth, I won't consider purchasing an amp for now. I'm running short on the budget.

About the music, I listen to blue and classic music most often and occasionally some metal, rock and pop.

Nov 7, 2002 at 3:40 AM Post #4 of 7
To throw a wrench in your plan:
wink.gif
The Supermini v3 amp is only $100. That's less than the difference between the 600s and w100s. Quite seriously, both cans really need an amp to sound best. If you really can't get an amp, I'd still get headphones, with the understanding that I'd get an amp down the road. These phones really need one. Its about quality, not quantity of the sound. Because of your wide range in music likes, I'd go for the hd600s. The w100s really drag down vocals, and they are problematic for some classical music because of their pronounced highs. The hd600s, on the other hand, will really grow with you and your system. They will work from a modest system all the way up to a top of the line blockhead.

Hopefully I haven't scared you away.
smily_headphones1.gif
If you stick around, you'll find the people here are really great!

Nov 7, 2002 at 4:20 AM Post #5 of 7
Thanks again for your lighting quick response
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm just wondering if HD-600 is really different from HD-580 in sonic quality. I heard a lot of people said they're pretty much the same both in sound and appearance. Is this true? or it's just a subjective opinion?

By the way, is there any headphone that falls in the same category as HD-600. (closest competitors)

Nov 7, 2002 at 6:27 AM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

Originally posted by andrzejpw
The w100s really drag down vocals, and they are problematic for some classical music because of their pronounced highs.

No offense, but I actually think that these are some of the few strengths of the W100's, not their weaknesses. If I enjoyed listening to vocals and symphonic music, I would not have sold the W100's. And Andrze, if you've heard these cans and these are your opinions, that's fine, however, if these are simply generalizations of the W100's abilities, then . . .
wink.gif

Nov 7, 2002 at 10:19 AM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

So I really need you guys expert opinions on which one to get.

nevermorez,

So, it's expert opinions you want? Here, in chronological order, is my biased list.
wink.gif

W100 review by Tomcat at Head-Fi

Four Headphones compared: AT W2002 and W100, HD600, Grado RS2 by KurtW at Head-Fi

Review: Living with W100 (vs. HD600) by shivohum at HeadWize

shivohum has posted this (his second) W100 review at Head-Fi as well, but (surprisingly) the discussion in the thread at HeadWize has been more interesting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back