Sennheiser HD 600, Ok, now I get it...
Jan 8, 2011 at 3:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

shipsupt

Headphoneus Supremus
My first experience with Sennheiser was not a good one.  A few years ago I broke a beloved set of Shure 530 IEM’s on a trip.  I was eager to replace them for another rapidly approaching trip and they were not available at a local retailer, and to be honest I was hesitant to pay for them again, they aren’t exactly cheap!  After reading some strong reviews of the PX 200’s at the time I thought for the price I’d be happy with them as a portable option and I was able to find them locally.  Bear with me, as this was some time ago, I don’t have detailed recollection about the sound but to summarize I was so under whelmed with them that I purchased another set of 530’s during the trip at an airport retailer (they’ve got everything in Hong Kong) and promptly gave the PX’s away when I returned.  They were just not for me.  I was happy again with the Shure IEM sound (they’re still great for me), and as it turned out the guy I gave the PX’s to loves them, he still uses them daily.

Somehow the experience stuck with me and I always associated that sound with Sennheiser and never gave their other offerings a chance, in spite of the wild enthusiasm you see here on Head-Fi.  Recently I saw a used pair of HD 600’s for sale here and decided that I’d give them a chance.  I’ve had them for about a week now and I can only say that I’m glad I gave Sennheiser a second chance.  While I couldn’t offer much in documenting the sound compared to the hundreds of other impressions posted here,  I will say that compared to my Denon or Grado headphones they are distinct and offer a sound that I am thoroughly enjoying with many different genres of music.  If I had to summarize the experience with my plebe ears I’d say that they are the most neutral signature and deliver music without adding too much (any?) of their own character.  I for one am happy to have a set of headphones that can deliver that sort of “reference” in my collection. With my other cans, especially the Grado’s, I find that they seem to cater to certain recordings, while I seem to enjoy anything I send at the 600’s.

It’s early days, but I’m happy to say that I’m a Sennheiser listener now.

Jan 8, 2011 at 4:35 PM Post #2 of 16
Good impressions. What are you driving them with?

Jan 8, 2011 at 6:13 PM Post #3 of 16

Quote:
 If I had to summarize the experience with my plebe ears I’d say that they are the most neutral signature and deliver music without adding too much (any?) of their own character.

Ahhh, and Uncle Erik mentioned in another thread also about the HD 600's neutralness. 

OK, just checked pricing on them.  I need to find a cheaper model. 
smile_phones.gif

Jan 8, 2011 at 6:54 PM Post #4 of 16

Quote:

Currently: iMac > Optical to Stello DA100 > Little Dot I+

Some thoughts on this; I currently have the I+ at the lower gain setting.  I have considered trying it with the higher gain setting for the 600's but I do try to give things a good listen before I start making too many changes.  I am also looking forward to trying them with my HeadRoom Micro Dac/Amp stack to see what I think of them with a straight SS set up.

Jan 8, 2011 at 7:03 PM Post #5 of 16
Look in my signature at everything I have tried. My HD580 with 600 grills/650 cable have not been bested by any of them. I have finally decided to stop looking for other headphones and try different sources and amps. They might not perfect, but they have less flaws than others and vocals and guitars sound awesome and real.

Jan 8, 2011 at 7:08 PM Post #6 of 16

Quote:
Quote:

Currently: iMac > Optical to Stello DA100 > Little Dot I+

Some thoughts on this; I currently have the I+ at the lower gain setting.  I have considered trying it with the higher gain setting for the 600's but I do try to give things a good listen before I start making too many changes.  I am also looking forward to trying them with my HeadRoom Micro Dac/Amp stack to see what I think of them with a straight SS set up.

That's not bad. Your DAC is already quite good. I would look into a better amp down the road though. The 600s will reward you for it.

Jan 8, 2011 at 10:45 PM Post #7 of 16

Quote:
That's not bad. Your DAC is already quite good. I would look into a better amp down the road though. The 600s will reward you for it.

I can already feel the upgrade bug!  ha ha I've heard the 600's step up nicely.  Actually I've started to research the thread for some good information on some amps that would match up well with the 600's.  I've got nothing firm in mind, and not sure if I'm looking for SS or tube at this point.  We've got a meet coming up in the bay area in February, so it should be a good opportunity to hear a few options.  The stuff from Woo always catches my eye on the tube side... and I'm so happy with my Pico that Jason's soon to be released Gilmore X2 has me interested as well.. so many options out there!  The good news is that I'm enjoying what I'm hearing now so I can enjoy the music while I decide what is next for me!

Of course, I'm always happy to hear from you all on some recommendations.  Since I'll be looking a little higher up the chain for the next amp I'd certainly like something that will not only match up with the 600's, but also with my HF-2's and D7000's... too much to ask from one amp?

Jan 9, 2011 at 2:45 AM Post #8 of 16

Quote:
Quote:

I can already feel the upgrade bug!  ha ha I've heard the 600's step up nicely.  Actually I've started to research the thread for some good information on some amps that would match up well with the 600's.  I've got nothing firm in mind, and not sure if I'm looking for SS or tube at this point.  We've got a meet coming up in the bay area in February, so it should be a good opportunity to hear a few options.  The stuff from Woo always catches my eye on the tube side... and I'm so happy with my Pico that Jason's soon to be released Gilmore X2 has me interested as well.. so many options out there!  The good news is that I'm enjoying what I'm hearing now so I can enjoy the music while I decide what is next for me!

Of course, I'm always happy to hear from you all on some recommendations.  Since I'll be looking a little higher up the chain for the next amp I'd certainly like something that will not only match up with the 600's, but also with my HF-2's and D7000's... too much to ask from one amp?

You will have to bring your HD600 to the meet and try it out on my Bottlehead Crack+Speedball.  It's supposedly a wonderful pairing and I will have my own HD600 by next week.

Drop Stay updated on Drop at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/drop https://twitter.com/drop https://www.massdrop.com/?clickid=3QR3Ib27lyA-VkBRJwyGuQJeUkhUQvX5r0tLzQ0&utm_term=252901&utm_content=VigLink&utm_medium=affiliate&utm_source=impactradius&irgwc=1
Jan 9, 2011 at 4:24 AM Post #9 of 16

Quote:
You will have to bring your HD600 to the meet and try it out on my Bottlehead Crack+Speedball.  It's supposedly a wonderful pairing and I will have my own HD600 by next week.

The meet !!  Duh.  I can try a bunch of Sennheisers there ... 
biggrin.gif

Jan 11, 2011 at 1:45 AM Post #12 of 16
Let us know your thoughts on the Crack + HD600. I just got in on the Crack Group Buy and looking forward to using this amp with m HD580. 

Quote:
I got my new HD600 today!  My first pair was the older model with the black screen which I owned for several months before moving off to AKG land with the K601.  I am excited to give them another try this time with a proper amp and source. 

Jan 11, 2011 at 1:51 AM Post #13 of 16

I got my new HD600 today!  My first pair was the older model with the black screen which I owned for several months before moving off to AKG land with the K601.  I am excited to give them another try this time with a proper amp and source. 

Let's hear some impressions! I am looking forward to hearing that bottleneck at the meet. I started poking around the web site and I am feeling a little diy coming on...

Jan 12, 2011 at 2:28 PM Post #15 of 16
Hey, headphones, music, Crack, Speedballs, and S.E.X...what more could a guy ask for. Oh and we are organizing a Meth Group Buy starting next month...so stay tuned! 
eek.gif

Quote:
Quote:
Let us know your thoughts on the Crack + HD600. I just got in on the Crack Group Buy [...]

I thought we were talking about headphones over here? :wink:

SCNR,
Jonas

Music is my drug! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back