Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Mar 14, 2013 at 3:46 AM Post #2,731 of 23,423
Tyll has a great review of the 580/600/650 series on InnerFidelity
deadhorse.gif

Mar 14, 2013 at 5:10 AM Post #2,732 of 23,423
Just picked these up while I wait for a replacement headband for my HD650.

Now that I've tried the 580 for the better part of 2 years, and own the 600 and 650, these are my favorite for pretty much genre that doesn't involve slamming the bass as hard as you can.

The less prominent bass paradoxically makes these sound like they have better bass extension than the HD650.

Also, these have not so rolled off in the highs, as can also be seen in FR graphs comparing to the HD650. This doesn't however, make the headphone any harder to listening for long periods.

Mar 14, 2013 at 8:30 AM Post #2,733 of 23,423
Quote:
Tyll has a great review of the 580/600/650 series on InnerFidelity
deadhorse.gif

Thanks for the link. It's a very good article all around!

I'll just quote this from the first page re the HD600
"When I put them on to listen though, I'm suddenly struck with the need to face my prejudice. I'm swept away with the music. Simply put, this is one of the world's best headphones. I think we've always known that; it's just taken us a long time to allow ourselves to feel it."

We need to get this headphone under the perspective that it was already around when the headphone scene started. The new is always better than what was around... not really.

Mar 14, 2013 at 9:33 AM Post #2,736 of 23,423
Quote:
Thanks folks!  

Love my HD600 (and HD650) and really enjoyed your review! 

So Woo Audio 3 or Bottlehead? Which do you prefer w/ the HD600, Tyll? I've never heard the HD600 w/ a tube amp and am tempted. I've been abing w/ different solid state amps: E09K, Headroom Micro, M-Stage and can't really hear a difference, though the Magni is lacking in the power that these other have. They all seem to work really well with the HD600/HD650.

Mar 14, 2013 at 9:46 AM Post #2,737 of 23,423
Quote:

So Woo Audio 3 or Bottlehead? 

I'd say it's more about the tubes than the amp itself. Unless you want to do the build on the Bottlehead (which is good fun) I'd take the Woo, and then get some advice from Jack about what tubes to try if you want to play around.

Mar 14, 2013 at 10:28 AM Post #2,739 of 23,423
Quote:
Thanks folks!  

Really enjoyed the read.......and really enjoying my recent purchases of the HD580 mint, and HD600 new, my search is over.  Now if I can just stop making cables for these.  I am up to eight different cable/wire DIY, and yes my ears can detect differences in them....my wife can tell too, and that is really a blind test!  But women hear better right!

Forgot to mention, out of a nice little tube amp, with NOS Mullard 4035's!

Mar 15, 2013 at 5:35 PM Post #2,745 of 23,423
I've been apprecciating my HD600 quite a bit, it has grown in me the desire to take some of it's sonic flavour to late night bed listening.
That was the use I gave to the PX100.

Now want something better than the PX100.
I'm looking for an easy to drive IEM or smallish portable headphone for the same use but also for out and about business with my Sansa Clip +.
I've been looking for something with similar sonic flavor/tonality to the HD600, a little smoother and more polite all around would be good, and the Momentum seems to be a good candidate?
Price is kinda high for a small portable though...

Anyone knows another alternative or this my best bet?
By the way, regarding closed headphones, I want something reasonably transparent sounding.
I absolutelly detest the typical echoy, non tonally transparent sound of closed headphones... for some reason IEMs don't have this problem to my ears...

I would expect that since the Momentum is made by Sennheiser, which has shown to know how to build and actually tune headphones to be reasonably transparent, it wouldn't be a huge step down from the HD600? I may be naive by thinking like this...
Anyone can compare both on this regard (transparency)?

SQ drop would be inevitable, I know, I'm just looking for a sound that 'falls me asleep'...
I miss my late night aural dreams!!

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back