Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Jan 3, 2013 at 12:30 PM Post #2,416 of 23,425
Wonder if a newbie can get some advice on old pair of HD 600s.    I have a very old pair, they have served me faithfully for over 10 years.  Yesterday i lost sound in one channel.  I suspect its a cable issue but hard to tell. Anyway, i was going to swap out cables but the red side appears to be fixed.  Is it possible that this older pair has a non-detachable or fixed cable?  The black side comes out no problem

I dont want to force the red side out if its fixed. 

On a similar, i enjoy the hd600s very much.  If its not the cable Does anyone have any expereince with senn usa repair services.  The usual question of cost versus worth comes to mind.  Thanks in advance

Jan 3, 2013 at 1:31 PM Post #2,417 of 23,425
Quote:
Wonder if a newbie can get some advice on old pair of HD 600s.    I have a very old pair, they have served me faithfully for over 10 years.  Yesterday i lost sound in one channel.  I suspect its a cable issue but hard to tell. Anyway, i was going to swap out cables but the red side appears to be fixed.  Is it possible that this older pair has a non-detachable or fixed cable?  The black side comes out no problem

I dont want to force the red side out if its fixed. 

On a similar, i enjoy the hd600s very much.  If its not the cable Does anyone have any expereince with senn usa repair services.  The usual question of cost versus worth comes to mind.  Thanks in advance

I'd carefully force the cable out. Maybe that is where your problem is... That in itself may tell you if you need a bigger repair. BHPhoto has a HD650 cable (which is actually an upgrade to the HD600 cable) for like $13. I'd do all that before sending it in for a repair! 

Jan 3, 2013 at 7:21 PM Post #2,418 of 23,425
Quote:
I find zero difference with or without the grills. Soundstage has never been one of the HD600 standout features.

Download pink noise listen w/o the grills and then simply hold the grills up to the headphones.  I can easily hear a huge difference.  It makes them sound much more natural and wider IMO.  This is super noticeable if you cup your hands right over the drivers.  The grills do the same thing as your hands just to a much lesser extent.

Jan 4, 2013 at 9:15 AM Post #2,419 of 23,425
Quote:
I certainly like my HD600's, but I find myself wishing that it had more soundstage. Could it be my DAC/amp? I'm currently using the uDAC-2. I'm considering nabbing a pair of K701's for the increased soundstage (and brightness, which honestly doesn't bother me).

Try another DAC/amp perhaps, when i borrowed udac for a week i've always felt the soundstage is narrow. But yes as slaughter said, soundstage isn't HD600 forte

Jan 4, 2013 at 10:54 AM Post #2,422 of 23,425
Yeah I think I'd have a hard time not listening during the process.  
L3000.gif

Jan 6, 2013 at 7:58 AM Post #2,429 of 23,425
Quote:
What's a good amp/dac combo for the HD600 for ~$400?
I'm thinking the Nuforce HDP might synergize well with the HD600? Any better options out there?

Here are some additional options for ya:

Jds Labs O2 & ODAC combo

Schiit Audio Magni & Modi combo

Fiio E17 & E09k combo

Matrix Audio Cube

Audio-GD NFB-15.32, NFB-11.32

Jan 6, 2013 at 8:07 AM Post #2,430 of 23,425
Can't say if it is good yet, but I have my HD600s waiting at the UPS pickup facility (closed until Monday) and after a lot of reading, I cancelled my O2 order and ordered a Little Dot MkIII as well as some tubes from eBay after reading the tube thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back