Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Sep 18, 2012 at 12:42 AM Post #1,801 of 23,311
Quote:
Would the beyer DT990 be a good companion to my HD600? I'd like something with a completely different sound signature for hip-hop, rock, electronica.

ultrasone/denon comes in mind too, not sure about the 990.

Sep 18, 2012 at 12:51 AM Post #1,802 of 23,311
I know it's silly, but I just think the denons are so ugly. And I'm not a fan of the on-ear fit of the ultrasones...although admittedly I have never actually tried them on, it's just what I've read on here.

Sep 18, 2012 at 1:16 AM Post #1,803 of 23,311
Quote:
Would the beyer DT990 be a good companion to my HD600? I'd like something with a completely different sound signature for hip-hop, rock, electronica.

Yeah the 990 would be good for those genres in my opinion. They have emphasized bass and treble and recessed mids.

Quote:
ultrasone/denon comes in mind too, not sure about the 990.

Quote:
I know it's silly, but I just think the denons are so ugly. And I'm not a fan of the on-ear fit of the ultrasones...although admittedly I have never actually tried them on, it's just what I've read on here.

The Ultrasones aren't on-ear, they're circumaural (over-ear), or at least the ones he's probably referring to are.

Sep 18, 2012 at 3:34 AM Post #1,804 of 23,311
Quote:

How are the Denons ugly?! I know everyone has their own preference, but just making sure, I am talking about the older ones, the D2/5/7000s. The Ultrasones, like devhen said, are mostly over-ear.

I have the D2000 and have had the HFI580. The Denon offered more subbass, and a slower decay. Some say the sound is like from a hollow cave, I say it sounds like if its from a concert hall. It feels like there is a separate sub woofer playing the bass line in terms of separation/decay, but it isn't that car-stereo kind of muddy bass-but-nothing-else.

The HFI580 had a very very punchy midbass, highs are a bit more shrill compared to the Denon (which already is on borderline too bright for me), and a little bit metallic too imo. However for genres that do not sound natural anyways - electronic, house music etc- it is amazingly good, and I just cannot imagine how good will it be on higher-end models.

Sep 18, 2012 at 3:52 AM Post #1,805 of 23,311
Quote:

Sony CD3000 are excellent for these genres and a perfect compliment to the hd600 IMO

Sep 18, 2012 at 9:00 AM Post #1,806 of 23,311
Quote:
OK, bit the bullet...after going back and forth between the 600 and 650, I went for the Dakmart special on the 600's (it didn't seem clear cut that the 650's were even favored by everyone). I mostly have used a large number of iem's (TF10, etys, Miles Davis, and quite a few others), though I have dabbled a bit with closed phones, never open ones (mine never felt comfortable, hard to listen for a long time). Anyway, I bought an iBasso T3 a while back on a whim (was cheap), hardly use it (also own a HiSound Studio, but had problems with it, and I think it will spend the next 6 months or so going back and forth between New Jersey and China, if I ever see it again). Will the T3 be enough to power the Senn's? (use ipod touch/ipad/Razr Maxx, and 1 PC, 1 iMac).
Thanks

Regarding HD600 vs HD650, this is obviously a personal choice, but FWIW, I think you make the right choice.  I've had the HD600 for a few months and love them.  I just got  a pair of HD650s and can not seem to acclimate to them.  Definitely prefer HD600.

(Anyone out there interested in a mint pair of HD650s?)

Sep 18, 2012 at 9:17 AM Post #1,807 of 23,311
Quote:

Regarding HD600 vs HD650, this is obviously a personal choice, but FWIW, I think you make the right choice.  I've had the HD600 for a few months and love them.  I just got  a pair of HD650s and can not seem to acclimate to them.  Definitely prefer HD600.

(Anyone out there interested in a mint pair of HD650s?)

Can you elaborate? What don't you like about the 650?

Sep 18, 2012 at 9:36 AM Post #1,808 of 23,311
Quote:

Can you elaborate? What don't you like about the 650?

In comparison to the HD600, the highs seem to be rolled off.  On the plus side, this makes them more forgiving of less than stellar reproductions or lower bit rate compressions.  I find myself missing those highs, though, especially with respect to the increased sound stage and imaging cues they provide.  It could be I haven't given myself a chance to truly acclimate (it's only been a few days), but these are my initial impressions.

Sep 18, 2012 at 11:17 AM Post #1,809 of 23,311
Quote:

Is that the RCA Living Stereo recording with The Pines and Fountains of Rome on it? The 3 channel SACD is something to behold, though I prefer the Respighi (I'm not the biggest Debussy fan).

No, it's Reiner/CSO paired with Scheherazade. Funny you mention Resphighi; I get to hear Festa romana live with Muti and the CSO this Saturday. :)

Sep 18, 2012 at 11:57 AM Post #1,810 of 23,311
Quote:

I own the D7000 from Denon and they are incredible for dance/electronica/trance.  Also great for rock.  If you like bass, you'll love them.  

As for the HD600/650 argument, it's really all opinion.  My friend and I own each (me the 600 and him the 650).  We agree the 600 sound better (more neutral and direct).  However, just an opinion.  As for the extra bass on the 650...well that's why I have the Denon cans.  
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 18, 2012 at 1:19 PM Post #1,811 of 23,311
Quote:

Both are good - relatively quick, detailed, and handle rock well.  DT880 has more bass punch and extension - but the mids are further back.  To me they can sometimes sound a little on the dry side.  I pretty much always use a tube set-up with my 880s - helps bring the mids forward a little.  The K701 don't have the same bass punch - but have much better mid-range.  Comfort goes to the Beyers - but if you replaced the K701 strap with a custom one without the bumps - it might be close.

K701 are quite like Brainwavz B2 / Fischer DBA2 - bass is there, coherent, but not to the forefront.  Mids are nicely presented and forward.  Detail is high.  Obviously though, the IEMs don't have a soundstage that can compete.

Couldn't really give you a DT880 like IEM.  Most of the other IEMs I've owned were from the Shure line, and their mids are quite forward (opposite of the DT880 really).  I currently have the SE535 Ltd Ed - and they could also be said to be a little like the K701 - bass is not emphasised - but is well textured and defined.  Mids are forward and engaging.  Highs on the 535 Ltd Ed are not as airy - but are detailed.  Big difference is with soundstage - K701 is wide and deep.  SE535 Ltd Ed is very intimate.  Both have excellent imaging.

Is the D2000 (or one of the comparable models) compare with DT880? Is the D2000 more V shaped compared with the DT880?

Sep 18, 2012 at 4:02 PM Post #1,812 of 23,311
Quote:
Is the D2000 (or one of the comparable models) compare with DT880? Is the D2000 more V shaped compared with the DT880?

Sadly haven't heard any of the Denon line - so you'll need to get someone else to answer that one.

Sep 18, 2012 at 5:33 PM Post #1,813 of 23,311
Quote:

That ones kind of hard to really give an answer for. I hear the 880 is more toward neutral, I only had the 990. The d2k's are probably the more "V" out of the two, but I would totally go for the d2k's over the 880's, for fun at least.

Sep 18, 2012 at 6:51 PM Post #1,814 of 23,311
Quote:
No, it's Reiner/CSO paired with Scheherazade. Funny you mention Resphighi; I get to hear Festa romana live with Muti and the CSO this Saturday. :)

Interesting. My Reiner/CSO recording of Scheherazade is paired with Stravinsky's Song of the Nightingale.

That's quite a weekend in Chicago. Don't forget Carmina Burana at the Concert for Chicago at Millennium Park on Friday.

And to keep this on topic, all of these works sound wonderful with the HD 600.
biggrin.gif

Sep 18, 2012 at 7:39 PM Post #1,815 of 23,311
Quote:

Both are good - relatively quick, detailed, and handle rock well.  DT880 has more bass punch and extension - but the mids are further back.  To me they can sometimes sound a little on the dry side.  I pretty much always use a tube set-up with my 880s - helps bring the mids forward a little.  The K701 don't have the same bass punch - but have much better mid-range.  Comfort goes to the Beyers - but if you replaced the K701 strap with a custom one without the bumps - it might be close.

K701 are quite like Brainwavz B2 / Fischer DBA2 - bass is there, coherent, but not to the forefront.  Mids are nicely presented and forward.  Detail is high.  Obviously though, the IEMs don't have a soundstage that can compete.

Couldn't really give you a DT880 like IEM.  Most of the other IEMs I've owned were from the Shure line, and their mids are quite forward (opposite of the DT880 really).  I currently have the SE535 Ltd Ed - and they could also be said to be a little like the K701 - bass is not emphasised - but is well textured and defined.  Mids are forward and engaging.  Highs on the 535 Ltd Ed are not as airy - but are detailed.  Big difference is with soundstage - K701 is wide and deep.  SE535 Ltd Ed is very intimate.  Both have excellent imaging.

Aren't the Fischer DBA2 considered analytical IEMs?   Have you heard SM3?   You might like them due to their mid-centric sound signature, and wide soundstage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back