Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Feb 4, 2012 at 11:25 PM Post #1,173 of 23,311

Quote:
Just thinking, if a company like Sennheiser can release first the HD580, sell them for such a long time span, did no upgrades and continue to sell the HD600... Then offer a side upgrade for a more fun signature labeled HD650... How many years did they take to actually 'move on' to the HD800, a more superior can (in their research team's eyes at least)? Just how long was the life span was this 'King of Headphones'?

Curious

That's a great question!

In my opinion, I think headphones really didn't matter for a long, long time and the HD580 was King of the hill. There were always a few high end headphones out there, but they were a niche market of limited appeal. Then, the iPod came along a few years ago and all of a sudden, headphones came back in vogue. More people became passionate about headphones, and naturally, a new generation of audiophiles were ready to come on board. Finally, there was a large market for "high end" $1000+ headphones.

The game changed, and Sennheiser wants to play. That's really all there is to it.

Feb 5, 2012 at 2:11 AM Post #1,174 of 23,311
Hmm... I just noticed a sudden bump in ranking of HD600 to #9. It's good and all, but can anyone here tell me how ranking system works?

Feb 5, 2012 at 9:52 AM Post #1,177 of 23,311
I wouldn't take any of the rankings too seriously.  They skip numbers, and have multiples of the same number.  Where's number two and three, or six and eleven?  I have no idea how they figure them out, it may just be some simple math with who owns it and who had it.  Or not.

Feb 5, 2012 at 3:31 PM Post #1,178 of 23,311

Quote:
I wouldn't take any of the rankings too seriously.  They skip numbers, and have multiples of the same number.  Where's number two and three, or six and eleven?  I have no idea how they figure them out, it may just be some simple math with who owns it and who had it.  Or not.

It's probably cause you're looking at over the air headphones only, while the total list is all headphones including IEM's.

http://www.head-fi.org/products/category/headphones

2 is the Earsonics SM3
3 is IE8

I assume it's some formula involving average rating and number of ratings. I would take it with a grain of salt because a lot of times an item will become really really hot on this board and get tons of high rankings. I mean the ATH-M50 is #5, #3 for over the ear.  Not saying it's bad but it definitely isn't the third greatest headphone of all time, probably not even in terms of value.

Feb 6, 2012 at 2:37 AM Post #1,182 of 23,311
I've been really enjoying the relative neutrality of the 600 with my Woo 3 lately while doing needle drops. Definitely a different beast from the AKG 601 or my previous use of the Beyer 990/600ohm in the same setup.

Feb 6, 2012 at 7:07 AM Post #1,183 of 23,311
Yeah, I know that numbers are not all-important but it does makes me feel warm and cozy inside to see the HD600 in the top ten. It's been more than a decade and this headphones is still garnering so much attention. There must be some magic in it.

Feb 6, 2012 at 10:40 AM Post #1,184 of 23,311

Quote:
I've been really enjoying the relative neutrality of the 600 with my Woo 3 lately while doing needle drops. Definitely a different beast from the AKG 601 or my previous use of the Beyer 990/600ohm in the same setup.

Hmm, how does the K601 compare to the HD600?

Feb 6, 2012 at 11:30 AM Post #1,185 of 23,311
If I would go from my current HD 595 to HD 600, would it be an all-round upgrade? 

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back