Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Apr 20, 2011 at 8:41 PM Post #301 of 23,417
Quote:
May I ask how you would use the D100 - in other words what is your source? It is an important question.--- SACD player? PC?

My current source is a Mac laptop (iTunes playing either 320 kbps MP3s or Apple Lossless files) and I would most probably connect it to the D100 via USB.

Apr 21, 2011 at 1:24 AM Post #302 of 23,417
Thanks to the FS forums, I managed to get a great deal on a mint HD600 for my first over ear headphones, and they arrived today. They're quite interesting... I never knew what a high end full sized headphone was supposed to sound like. Bass impact was actually a bit less than I expected, but I didn't buy them for the bass :evil: These have great imaging, detail, and pretty much play beautifully with every genre of music I have in my collection. My only issue with them is comfort... the headband clamps way too tight and it's hurting my ears. Once the headband loosens up though, I can see these as being my chill out headphones...

Oh and Windsor, I'm using my HD600 with a Yulong D100 (both DAC and amp). I don't have a different reference other than my fuze (which btw drives the hd600s way better than it should), but it sounds pretty good to my ears. The built in amp easily drives the HD600 and I have the volume knob just a few notches above what my IEMs need. At first, I found the midrange a bit thin (neutral on neutral) and I've been going to my midrange-emphasized portable amp for certain female vocal heavy music, but in the end, I found that I could live with the amp in the Yulong and it's lack of colour. If you don't have access to different amps or like your midrange weighty, and must use your HD600, I would avoid the Yulong though. From descriptions, it sounds like the HDP would match the HD600 better.

Apr 21, 2011 at 10:06 AM Post #303 of 23,417
Funny that I can honestly say I feel the same way. The most unbridled joy and surreal emotion experiences I have had regarding listening to music have all come from the Senn HD600's. I have the JH5's, CK10's, Shure 215's and have owned/auditioned a bunch of other high end IEM's and none of them have put the unconscious smile on my face that the Senn HD600's have. This is not to say those IEM's are not great products but that they just haven't done what the Senn HD600's have in terms of natural enjoyable music.

I'm actually thinking of getting a Schiit Asgard in the next few weeks to go with my Senn HD600's, right now just running them from my uDac and it does feel like it could use a bit more power to drive them.
Quote:
I just received my Sennheiser HD600 and Fiio E9 and L3. My source is a Ipod Classic w/ mostly lossless files. After three years getting deeper and deeper into iems (up to SE535, W4, etc.), I honestly don't think I've ever enjoyed music so much as with this combo, my first quality headphones. I've never had a desktop system, and I know that this is a modest start. But WOW. I'm loving it and, most of all, loving the music. Thanks all!

Apr 21, 2011 at 11:55 AM Post #304 of 23,417

Quote:
Funny that I can honestly say I feel the same way. The most unbridled joy and surreal emotion experiences I have had regarding listening to music have all come from the Senn HD600's. I have the JH5's, CK10's, Shure 215's and have owned/auditioned a bunch of other high end IEM's and none of them have put the unconscious smile on my face that the Senn HD600's have. This is not to say those IEM's are not great products but that they just haven't done what the Senn HD600's have in terms of natural enjoyable music.

I'm actually thinking of getting a Schiit Asgard in the next few weeks to go with my Senn HD600's, right now just running them from my uDac and it does feel like it could use a bit more power to drive them.

Yes, they really do benefit from a larger voltage swing.  The level of realism goes up a notch once you get something with more power.

I have to say that I rarely ever use my Asgard with the HD 600 just because the iBasso PB1 is just as good (if not better), but makes for an awesome portable rig with my Clip+.  But the Asgard does look and feel awesome (and sounds fine - certainly a large upgrade from the uDAC/uDAC 2 in terms of power).

Apr 21, 2011 at 12:29 PM Post #305 of 23,417

I really considered the Toucan after your recommendations. I ultimately decided that at this point to go with the E9, which has plenty of juice and so far I've really enjoyed the synergy, though I have yet to compare it to anything else. I wanted to need the Toucan but realistically I'm stuck at my office desk for most of my listening and instead got the HD251ii for portable use, not that I wasn't tempted to use the Toucan with both the HD25 and HD600, but with the need to buy balanced cables, etc., I figured I'd start small and work my way up! Having a ton of fun with the HD600 and E9...Lots of smiles!

But I still want the Toucan! Are you running the balanced IBasso DAC, too?

Quote:
Yes, they really do benefit from a larger voltage swing.  The level of realism goes up a notch once you get something with more power.

I have to say that I rarely ever use my Asgard with the HD 600 just because the iBasso PB1 is just as good (if not better), but makes for an awesome portable rig with my Clip+.  But the Asgard does look and feel awesome (and sounds fine - certainly a large upgrade from the uDAC/uDAC 2 in terms of power).

Apr 21, 2011 at 2:13 PM Post #306 of 23,417

Quote:
I really considered the Toucan after your recommendations. I ultimately decided that at this point to go with the E9, which has plenty of juice and so far I've really enjoyed the synergy, though I have yet to compare it to anything else. I wanted to need the Toucan but realistically I'm stuck at my office desk for most of my listening and instead got the HD251ii for portable use, not that I wasn't tempted to use the Toucan with both the HD25 and HD600, but with the need to buy balanced cables, etc., I figured I'd start small and work my way up! Having a ton of fun with the HD600 and E9...Lots of smiles!

But I still want the Toucan! Are you running the balanced IBasso DAC, too?

You know, I was going to say that the E9 value-wise would be an excellent choice as well - I would have gotten it myself if it wasn't for the things that attracted me to the Asgard (designed-and-made-in-USA by a small business, superb engineering, great looks, and very personal customer service).  All told (excepting taxes), the PB1 + cable turns out to be twice as much as the E9 (even less if you get the E9 in the combo), so if you're going to use it tethered it isn't nearly as good of a value.  I just as often tend to bring mine around the house wherever it is comfortable to use though - and the freedom that it gives is great.

I'm not running the balanced DAC (the DB1 Boomslang).  I really don't see any significant advantages over a single ended DAC other than the increased gain (well, and matching the PB1 in form factor).  Sometimes I use it directly out of my ThinkPad T510 because the built-in audio is actually quite good (that made some people angry...), sometimes through my uDAC (the original) - but mostly from the Clip+.  It's hard to believe that such a tiny thing is such a good source...

Apr 21, 2011 at 3:55 PM Post #307 of 23,417
I figured they would benefit from the voltage swing. I'm really excited for the Asgard after reading a bunch about how well it pairs with the Senn HD600. I would really like to try the Valhalla as I have a soft spot for glowing tubes however the price is more than I can spend especially with the weather warming up and biking starting to kick in again *taking all my extra funding*. Can't wait to place my order for an Asgard, should be able to do so in a few weeks now 
biggrin.gif

Quote:

Apr 29, 2011 at 8:28 PM Post #308 of 23,417
Really loving the HD600's.  I think they're finally broken in.  The only issue I have is that it is mated with the FiiO E7/E9 and it's sounding a little too clinical and unforgiving.  On well recorded music, it's pretty awesome.. on other music, it really brings out flaws in the recording.  Would like a little more balance.
I've been reading a lot on the Matrix Mini-i and decided to pull the trigger on it. (also opens doors down the road for a better amp).
Does anyone have any experience with the HD600's and the Mini-i.  Would like to get some feedback.

Apr 29, 2011 at 9:00 PM Post #309 of 23,417

Quote:
Im using the Burson HA160D and Sennheiser HD 650 headphones 

sources are - transport DVD Oppo - coax
macbook pro - usb

listening to "so what" Miles Davis Kind of Blue CD, the most dynamic peaks of the trumpet solo seem to break up / grain when compared to how they sound through my Aerial 10T speakers/Bryston 4B SST. Thru the Aerials, they sound smooth and dynamic with no break up/ grain / strain. One can also hear a bit more of the analog background noise via the loudspeakers.

However, the HD650's reveal more of the lower level detail. One can hear a bit more distinctly the shifting of the musicians, especially just before the first appearance of the drum kit.

Perhaps the headphone amp section of the Burson needs  a bit more break-in? I have not used it until now and barely one hour of use of the hi-output jack.

Welcome any thoughts/ opinions...

I am also considering some UPOCC / PCOCC upgrade cables on ebay...

Late response, sorry, just read it.  Do you have the Legacy Edition of Kind of Blue?  That's the version I have and I hear that same break up starting at about 1 min. into "So What".  Looking at the waveform with Audacity, that version of the album seems to have been compressed and then the max levels brought down a bit so they technically don't clip.  I cannot post screenshots because I'm at work, but look at the waveform for "Freddy Freeloader".  The last third of the right channel, the peaks of the waveform are all on the same level.  There was another track on the album like that, but can't remember the title.  I'm listening with SR325is on E7/E9.

Regards.

May 3, 2011 at 9:11 PM Post #310 of 23,417

Quote:

I started with the uDac2 and the HD600's.  Moved to the FiiO E7/E9 and is an entirely different experience.  It seems to drive the HD600's effortlessly. I actually cannot listen to the uDac2/HD600 combo anymore.  The uDac2 is relegated to driving my HD25-1 II's (and does it quite nicely).
From what I've read of the Asgard, you should really enjoy the combo.  Looking at the Lyr myself but probably not until year end.

May 3, 2011 at 10:34 PM Post #311 of 23,417

Quote:
Really loving the HD600's.  I think they're finally broken in.  The only issue I have is that it is mated with the FiiO E7/E9 and it's sounding a little too clinical and unforgiving.  On well recorded music, it's pretty awesome.. on other music, it really brings out flaws in the recording.  Would like a little more balance.
I've been reading a lot on the Matrix Mini-i and decided to pull the trigger on it. (also opens doors down the road for a better amp).
Does anyone have any experience with the HD600's and the Mini-i.  Would like to get some feedback.

I haz both. I think it's a good pair together but havent had time to listen really

May 3, 2011 at 11:04 PM Post #312 of 23,417
Well I got the Asgard on Saturday and since then I have been listening to it off and on. So far I am very, very pleased with the sound, it really does an amazing job of keeping the natural sound of the HD600's while adding a bit more power to them. The Asgard, to me, seems to embody the "effortless power" mentality when driving the HD600's. I feel like the music just flows so well and easily. Very good amp!

May 4, 2011 at 5:28 PM Post #313 of 23,417
Hi guys, I've just ordered a pair which are approximately 4-5 years old, so I'm not really banking on them being this "new" model, and just hope that both models are very similar (if not the same) in sound quality.  I don't have a desktop amp yet, but I sort of want to hear what the cans will sound like out of my Xonar D1 and FiiO E7, and then when I get my E9, be gob-smacked with the improvement in SQ =]

I've read somewhere in this topic that the HD600's have a bit of grain.  I currently have the HD595 and I definitely notice the grain in these, plus the occurrence of standing waves and some distortion in the mids/highs at moderate-high volume (not high enough to even begin hurting my ears).

Will the HD600's fix this?

May 4, 2011 at 9:57 PM Post #314 of 23,417

Quote:

I've read somewhere in this topic that the HD600's have a bit of grain.  I currently have the HD595 and I definitely notice the grain in these, plus the occurrence of standing waves and some distortion in the mids/highs at moderate-high volume (not high enough to even begin hurting my ears).

Will the HD600's fix this?

Listening right now to the HD600's through the E7/E9 with a Black Dragon cable I received yesterday. Trying to figure out what's different and your post nailed it.. Almost no grain.
No distortion in mids/highs (I don't recall any with the original cable). The music just flows better. It probably depends on your source.  I'm listening to the best recordings I have in Apple Lossless format as a test.
Just as a point of reference, I was using the 650 cable and had no real complaints.. very nice, open and dynamic combo.. Just wanted to take the next step. The re-cable is subtle but noticeable.
You should be quite happy with the HD600/E7/E9 combo.

May 5, 2011 at 11:17 AM Post #315 of 23,417

NullZero , I don't now about the distortion, at least, am not suffering it badly enough to notice, but, the grainy sound IS definitely there, especially after Beyerdynamic headphones. The lower your amplification, the more grain you get. But even OTL Tube Amp LittleDot MKIII doesn't heal this issue totally. But I have heard there are mods that could have taken the grain away.. Haven’t tried it though...  

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back