Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Apr 17, 2011 at 9:07 PM Post #286 of 23,417

Quote:
Quote:
Im using the Burson HA160D and Sennheiser HD 650 headphones 

sources are - transport DVD Oppo - coax
macbook pro - usb

listening to "so what" Miles Davis Kind of Blue CD, the most dynamic peaks of the trumpet solo seem to break up / grain when compared to how they sound through my Aerial 10T speakers/Bryston 4B SST. Thru the Aerials, they sound smooth and dynamic with no break up/ grain / strain. One can also hear a bit more of the analog background noise via the loudspeakers.

However, the HD650's reveal more of the lower level detail. One can hear a bit more distinctly the shifting of the musicians, especially just before the first appearance of the drum kit.

Perhaps the headphone amp section of the Burson needs  a bit more break-in? I have not used it until now and barely one hour of use of the hi-output jack.

Welcome any thoughts/ opinions...

I am also considering some UPOCC / PCOCC upgrade cables on ebay...

I auditioned the HD600 on the Burson at a shop here in Taipei and I thought the Burson made the HD600 sound really quite fuzzy and muddy. I was not impressed. At the time - I thought it was the source component feeding the amp a lousy signal - but now that you mention the Burson - I wonder if it was the pairing of the Burson / HD 600 that wasn't a good marriage

I like the schit vahalla as a budget amp for hd600.

Apr 17, 2011 at 10:35 PM Post #287 of 23,417
Hello all. Purchased the HD600 w/ a 650 cable back in Nov 08 thanks to this site and love them now just as much as I did then. Never felt any reason to upgrade and still feel that way. I wanted a neutral headphone and it's been exactly that. Don't know how the E-MU 1616m stacks up next to dedicated headphone amps but it's been great for me. I use it for recording, the headphone section is just a bonus.

Apr 17, 2011 at 10:41 PM Post #288 of 23,417
With a bit of luck, my system will be back together in 3 weeks. It is being re-assembled with the HD600 foremost in mind, and also with computer as source. Perhaps at least 5 mo after the component list has stabilized, then if needed and if there is motivation, that might be the time to experiment with headphone cables. 

Lol, worst case is that it could be a couple of years (hope not).

Apr 19, 2011 at 8:33 AM Post #290 of 23,417
Thanks for the response. When you say that the MX1 amp isn't powering Sennheisers enough, what do you mean? Do you mean there's not enough volume, or power in the sense of PRaT?

There is more then enough volume out of Audinst, but there isn't enougth quality in it.. I do not know what is the exact issue here, but to me, these HD600 sound so-so for a 350$ headphone, out of Audinst AMP. Lets say another way. If DT990 sound same decent from Audinst and LittleDot MKIII, HiFi-like, with minor cosmetic difference, than HD600 out of Audinst decrease in quality dramatic, turning into some average mid-fi HD555's with a little more mid-bass kick, that's all.

Apr 19, 2011 at 9:57 AM Post #291 of 23,417
Hello all!
First post here. Just got in my hd600's with a Fiio E7 yesterday!
They arrived when I was on my lunchbreak so I only got to listen to them for a few minutes at first. Upon listening I was kind of bummed at the sound quality (after reading for days on the supreme quality of these babies and spending $400 for the setup my expectations were pretty high...and the only headphones I'd listened to for the past year or so have been the klipsch s4's). So of course I had read about burn in, I set up a flac playlist of mostly classical music (some Air and Beach Boys as well) and went back to work. When I came home I found that my VLC Player (Mac user) had downloaded a newer version and stopped shortly after I left :frowning2:
But once I got the time to relax and focus on the music it was astounding. Like I said I'm used to IEMs so I think it took a few minutes to get used to the sound of full size cans (very different at first). The clarity of the instruments, the butteriness of the vocals, even hearing breaths and shifts in the musicians bodies are music to my ears.
The worst thing is that I can hardly make it through an entire song now. Throughout the entire thing I'm thinking "OOH I WONDER WHAT *THIS* SONG WILL SOUND LIKE!?" then I have to change songs or it eats at my soul for the remainder of the current song! Awful!
Anyway, to get to the point, my dad has a Linn Majik integrated amp that I tried out last night with them. I tried them from laptop>E7>amp>hd600, laptop>amp>hd600, laptop>E7>hd600. I couldn't tell a significant difference in sound between these. Is the headphone output on the Majik not that great (I know it's over 10 years old, but still it was a $1000+ component back in the day) or are my ears still getting used to the sheer awesomeness of these things and the majik is holding back for fear of my head exploding (I.e. Are my ears not used to the subtleties yet?)
Thanks for any replies

Apr 19, 2011 at 3:15 PM Post #293 of 23,417

Quote:
 (I.e. Are my ears not used to the subtleties yet?)
Thanks for any replies

You nailed it. But, I also think the HD600 has the ability to sound consistently good from even low-end setups, so there isn't a huge amount of variation from amp to amp.

Apr 19, 2011 at 11:27 PM Post #294 of 23,417
I just received my Sennheiser HD600 and Fiio E9 and L3. My source is a Ipod Classic w/ mostly lossless files. After three years getting deeper and deeper into iems (up to SE535, W4, etc.), I honestly don't think I've ever enjoyed music so much as with this combo, my first quality headphones. I've never had a desktop system, and I know that this is a modest start. But WOW. I'm loving it and, most of all, loving the music. Thanks all!

Apr 20, 2011 at 12:15 AM Post #295 of 23,417
Hey guys - thanks for the response re. a DAC/Amp for the HD 600. Though it's not an awesome piece of gear, my Lexicon Alpha works, and if I upgrade, I want to make it worthwhile.
I'm now looking into the Yulong D100, which seems like a great value piece of gear; anyone tried it with the HD 600? 

Apr 20, 2011 at 11:54 AM Post #296 of 23,417
I have both the HD600 and the D100 - the D100 is quite neutral and it takes out some of the warmth of the HD600 is that is what you are looking for. However, I rarely use the D100 as anything more than a DAC feeding my SR-71A headphone amp connected to the HD600 through

Then the sound is GOLDEN!

Apr 20, 2011 at 2:58 PM Post #297 of 23,417
Thanks for the response, Syan - I hope you continue to enjoy your setup. :)

It was a quest for neutral sound reproduction that led me to the HD 600, and so far the HD 600 surpasses almost every other headphone I've heard in terms of enjoyable neutrality (Sennheiser HD800 and Beyer T1 included - they were a little bit too sibilant for my ears, which were left ringing after relatively short listening sessions with the HD800 and T1). 

What I'm after is a head-fi setup that tells the truth of what's on the recording, is enjoyable to listen to and doesn't get in the way of the music, basically the best experience of listening to music I can have through headphones when I'm not in a high-end studio or at a gig.

I like to keep things simple, so a simple listening station inc. an all-in-one DAC/amp could be the way forward for me, hence my considerations of the Audinst, Burson, and Yulongs for use with the HD600 mainly. They all seem to be neutral DAC/amps that let the sound be determined by the recordings and headphones.

Apr 20, 2011 at 6:51 PM Post #298 of 23,417
May I ask how you would use the D100 - in other words what is your source? It is an important question.--- SACD player? PC?

Apr 20, 2011 at 7:06 PM Post #299 of 23,417

Quote:
I tried them from laptop>E7>amp>hd600, laptop>amp>hd600, laptop>E7>hd600. I couldn't tell a significant difference in sound between these. Is the headphone output on the Majik not that great (I know it's over 10 years old, but still it was a $1000+ component back in the day) or are my ears still getting used to the sheer awesomeness of these things and the majik is holding back for fear of my head exploding (I.e. Are my ears not used to the subtleties yet?)
Thanks for any replies

The differences are admittedly subtle- with a dac, differences are mostly noticeable with high-bitrate, well-recorded music, in details in the higher frequencies.  For example, with John Coltrane and Duke Ellington CD's, classical or acoustic music, you can hear clearer spatial resolution (information in millisecond interaural time differences) and details in the treble.  Differences between amps are mostly audible in the crispness of the bass, as higher current helps to control the larger movements of the speaker.  With time, you will be more accustomed to the headphones and notice subtle changes in sound.  Likewise, the flaws of most other headphones will be more noticeable and will want to go back to your HD600. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 20, 2011 at 7:12 PM Post #300 of 23,417

Just listening to that CD today. It had never sounded as good as with my E9/HD600 combo!

Quote:
The differences are admittedly subtle- with a dac, differences are mostly noticeable with high-bitrate, well-recorded music, in details in the higher frequencies.  For example, with John Coltrane and Duke Ellington CD's, classical or acoustic music, you can hear clearer spatial resolution (information in millisecond interaural time differences) and details in the treble.  Differences between amps are mostly audible in the crispness of the bass, as higher current helps to control the larger movements of the speaker.  With time, you will be more accustomed to the headphones and notice subtle changes in sound.  Likewise, the flaws of most other headphones will be more noticeable and will want to go back to your HD600. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back