Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Apr 12, 2011 at 10:25 PM Post #271 of 23,417
I own both an equinox cable and bottlehead cardas cable for my HD600. It's been awhile since I used the equinox but I remember it being slightly brighter than the cardas cable. My preference is towards the bottlehead cable which is built very solid and has a right angle termination that works best with my amp. I also use solid silver interconnects that I built myself. When it's all running together I get some serious sound coming through the HD600 which cannot fail to impress me.

Drop Stay updated on Drop at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/drop https://twitter.com/drop https://www.massdrop.com/?clickid=3QR3Ib27lyA-VkBRJwyGuQJeUkhUQvX5r0tLzQ0&utm_term=252901&utm_content=VigLink&utm_medium=affiliate&utm_source=impactradius&irgwc=1
Apr 12, 2011 at 10:37 PM Post #272 of 23,417

Quote:
1) Join date isn't even that relevant. You can have someone new on Head-Fi but, with their age, have been into audio loooooong before there were even Audio Forums

2) Although I do agree with you cablesmake a difference...if anything, I just wouldn't spend over $100 on them, given that good quality quad-core or separate silver or copper conductors at varying thickness are relatively easy to source where I am.  Plus it's faster to just DIY here than to wait for the Sennheiser distributor to get a the replacement detachable cable out from the warehouse and pay around $70, assuming someone in the local forum still has a few spare headphone-end connectors.

1) For sure, and I didn't preclude that possibility in my post...I did say "most" not "all". 
normal_smile%20.gif

2) That's entirely up to how skilled one is with DIY, how much time and money they have etc. I don't disagree with anything you've said.

Apr 16, 2011 at 10:27 AM Post #273 of 23,417
These really are great sounding headphones. Sure they are not perfect - but my goodness - they put a smile on my face - especially with a Ray Samuels amp - he was right to tell me it would. There is such a synergy between them!

Apr 16, 2011 at 11:05 AM Post #274 of 23,417

Quote:
IME (over 5 years), and unfortunately, most of the anti-cable Head-Fi members I’ve encountered have been part of one of these groups:

/end rant...back to the HD600.

Its significant that at one time there was a very open atmosphere, on these forums to have a discussion pertaining to cables. Anti-cable Head-Fi members have through continuous aggressive negative behavior bordering on self-righteousness, been able to basically change that. Seriously, there is something wrong with that picture.

Apr 16, 2011 at 12:19 PM Post #275 of 23,417
The weaknesses of hd600 are slightly grainy , unrefined compared to Staxs, not very fast or lively enough but it has very very nice and accurate tonality. Such tonal qualities are enough for me to prefer the hd600 to pricier dynamic headphone such as ps1000 and hd800. Dunno about LCD2 or HE6 though

Apr 16, 2011 at 2:11 PM Post #276 of 23,417

Quote:
Its significant that at one time there was a very open atmosphere, on these forums to have a discussion pertaining to cables. Anti-cable Head-Fi members have through continuous aggressive negative behavior bordering on self-righteousness, been able to basically change that. Seriously, there is something wrong with that picture.

You've been here longer than I have so I'm sure you know what I'm talking about. I've also observed the same as you. Now I just tell people to listen for themselves instead of argue with them, it's just not worth the time anymore.

Quote:
The weaknesses of hd600 are slightly grainy , unrefined compared to Staxs, not very fast or lively enough but it has very very nice and accurate tonality. Such tonal qualities are enough for me to prefer the hd600 to pricier dynamic headphone such as ps1000 and hd800. Dunno about LCD2 or HE6 though

I also noticed the graininess you found. It's most apparent when comparing with more technically accomplished cans like the HD800, HD650, HE-6, LCD-2, O2MK1 etc.
But IMO, the appeal of the 600s isn't in their technical merit in any one confined area, but rather their overall performance and sound for the price which makes them such a terrific all-rounder and value.

Apr 16, 2011 at 3:21 PM Post #277 of 23,417
Quote:
I also noticed the graininess you found. It's most apparent when comparing with more technically accomplished cans like the HD800, HD650, HE-6, LCD-2, O2MK1 etc.
But IMO, the appeal of the 600s isn't in their technical merit in any one confined area, but rather their overall performance and sound for the price which makes them such a terrific all-rounder and value.

I haven't noticed any graininess with the HD 600, but I tend to listen to music at low to moderate volume levels. To me the HD 600 sound  ever-so-slightly warm and 'muddy' - like what I imagine listening to either a live performance or playback via high-end studio monitors behind a silk or thin material veil would sound like. 

I do really enjoy the HD 600 though. As soon as I got them, I stopped doing so many A/B headphone comparisons and started to listen to the music more and more - that I found pretty cool. And yes, I agree that they are great all-rounders. 

Just wondering, what kind of amp/DAC do you guys use with the HD 600. These days I'm using a Lexicon Alpha DAC/USB that supports 24-bit/96kHz playback, and whilst it works, I'm considering upgrading to something like the Burson HA 160-D or Audinst HUD-MX1. Any thoughts/recommendations?

Apr 16, 2011 at 3:42 PM Post #278 of 23,417

Quote:

A lot of the negative backlash I think comes when people try to recommend expensive aftermarket cables.  I see it myself.  Head-Fier A wants a HP recommendation and Head-Fier B says get a "model X" and a "cable Y".  Numerous studies have determined that in blind tests listeners cannot accurately identify different cables.  Hell, I've tried and tried and I can't hear differences even when I know I'm listening to different cables, but then I don't make any claims to my ears/brains auditory prowess and am thankful the stock Sennheiser cable sounds exactly like the "Cryod BlingBling" cable to me.

Point being: Many Head-Fiers want to discourage members from spending a lot of money on products that have not been able to demonstrate superior performance with verifiable and repeatable test methods. 

Apr 16, 2011 at 3:55 PM Post #279 of 23,417

Quote:
I haven't noticed any graininess with the HD 600, but I tend to listen to music at low to moderate volume levels. To me the HD 600 sound  ever-so-slightly warm and 'muddy' - like what I imagine listening to either a live performance or playback via high-end studio monitors behind a silk or thin material veil would sound like. 

I do really enjoy the HD 600 though. As soon as I got them, I stopped doing so many A/B headphone comparisons and started to listen to the music more and more - that I found pretty cool. And yes, I agree that they are great all-rounders. 

Just wondering, what kind of amp/DAC do you guys use with the HD 600. These days I'm using a Lexicon Alpha DAC/USB that supports 24-bit/96kHz playback, and whilst it works, I'm considering upgrading to something like the Burson HA 160-D, Audinst HUD-MX1. Any thoughts/recommendations?

The graininess isn't something that's noticed until you compare to a technically superior headphone. The ear/brain adapts to whatever sound it's exposed to over a length of time, so a change of stimulus is needed for objectivity sometimes.

I would highly suggest making the upgrade you're considering...the 600s will reward you! I would go for the Burson, but then again, the two products you've listed are in completely different price ranges. If you want good value in the entry-level segment, skip the Audinst and get the Yulong U100. http://www.headfonia.com/the-new-recommendation-the-yulong-u100-usb-dac/

Apr 16, 2011 at 4:29 PM Post #280 of 23,417
Quote:

The graininess isn't something that's noticed until you compare to a technically superior headphone. The ear/brain adapts to whatever sound it's exposed to over a length of time, so a change of stimulus is needed for objectivity sometimes.

I would highly suggest making the upgrade you're considering...the 600s will reward you! I would go for the Burson, but then again, the two products you've listed are in completely different price ranges. If you want good value in the entry-level segment, skip the Audinst and get the Yulong U100. http://www.headfonia.com/the-new-recommendation-the-yulong-u100-usb-dac/

@ Shahrose: Thanks for sharing that review. I actually read it earlier today as I have been strongly considering the Yulong U100 until I read Mike's update in red near the end of that review - I'm a Mac user and want hassle free gear and can do without compatibility issues. I also like the how the Audinst is USB-powered and doesn't require an external power supply.

I'd expect the Burson to be much higher quality than the Audinst given the price and from what I've read about the Burson - it's one of the most highly-praised bits of hi-fi gear I've ever read about, apart from the HD 600 :wink:

If the Burson's as good to my ears as I think it might be, I'll probably get it. And given it's size, the Audinst would likely be great for travel use.

Apr 17, 2011 at 4:30 PM Post #281 of 23,417
Im using the Burson HA160D and Sennheiser HD 650 headphones 

sources are - transport DVD Oppo - coax
macbook pro - usb

listening to "so what" Miles Davis Kind of Blue CD, the most dynamic peaks of the trumpet solo seem to break up / grain when compared to how they sound through my Aerial 10T speakers/Bryston 4B SST. Thru the Aerials, they sound smooth and dynamic with no break up/ grain / strain. One can also hear a bit more of the analog background noise via the loudspeakers.

However, the HD650's reveal more of the lower level detail. One can hear a bit more distinctly the shifting of the musicians, especially just before the first appearance of the drum kit.

Perhaps the headphone amp section of the Burson needs  a bit more break-in? I have not used it until now and barely one hour of use of the hi-output jack.

Welcome any thoughts/ opinions...

I am also considering some UPOCC / PCOCC upgrade cables on ebay...

Apr 17, 2011 at 5:34 PM Post #282 of 23,417
Dear HD600 users, skip Audinst HUD-MX1 if you are going use it with these headphone. As an owner of both device, I can strongly assume that HUD-MX1's AMP is not powering sennheiser enough. The sound is hardly veiled, muddy and unfocused. There is also an annoying peak on the 4-6khz region, making rock/metal poorly mastered recordings inacceptable. HD595, for instance, sounded much better than HD600 on Audinst HUD-MX1, these mid-fi phones were better focused and controlled, no veil at all. If you decided linking HD600’s with Audinst, an external amp is highly recommended. Even a chip one, for example, my LittleDot MKIII makes a clear difference on HD600 overall (better separation, extension, less veil, more space, smother highs. On LittleDot MKIII , HD600 are clearly an overall winner over HD595. With DT990, for instance, the sonic difference between Audinst and LittleDot MKIII wasn’t that obvious. I know, it may sound strange for many, but on my setup, HD600 look much more amp/source picky headphones than BeyerDynamics, even considering DT’s sibilance issue….

Apr 17, 2011 at 6:27 PM Post #283 of 23,417
@AlexRoma: Thanks for the response. When you say that the MX1 amp isn't powering Sennheisers enough, what do you mean? Do you mean there's not enough volume, or power in the sense of PRaT?

Apr 17, 2011 at 6:45 PM Post #284 of 23,417

macbook pro - usb

listening to "so what" Miles Davis Kind of Blue CD, the most dynamic peaks of the trumpet solo seem to break up / grain when compared to how they sound through my Aerial 10T speakers/Bryston 4B SST. Thru the Aerials, they sound smooth and dynamic with no break up/ grain / strain. One can also hear a bit more of the analog background noise via the loudspeakers.

However, the HD650's reveal more of the lower level detail. One can hear a bit more distinctly the shifting of the musicians, especially just before the first appearance of the drum kit.

Perhaps the headphone amp section of the Burson needs  a bit more break-in? I have not used it until now and barely one hour of use of the hi-output jack.

I auditioned the HD600 on the Burson at a shop here in Taipei and I thought the Burson made the HD600 sound really quite fuzzy and muddy. I was not impressed. At the time - I thought it was the source component feeding the amp a lousy signal - but now that you mention the Burson - I wonder if it was the pairing of the Burson / HD 600 that wasn't a good marriage

Apr 17, 2011 at 7:16 PM Post #285 of 23,417
Quote:

macbook pro - usb

I would say, that grain should disappear with more burn-in time for the Burson.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back