Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Sep 11, 2021 at 1:46 PM Post #21,691 of 23,423
Hi Guys, I need Your Help

I've an ALL IN ONE Ampli+Dac by FX-AUDIO
The model is FX-AUDIO X6MKII
Taking a look at the specs I've found this:

No chance to find The Output impedence of The Amplifier,I've find This

Output Power 940 mW @ 16 Ohms, 900 mW @ 32 Ohms, 700 mW @ 64 Ohms, 450 mW @ 120 Ohms, 200 mW @ 300 Ohms.

My question is: Is this Amplifier capable to drive HD600 (my next purchase) safely?

I'm using this calculator

HD600 Power Needed

Safe 85 db 0.07 mW
Moderate 100 db 1.98 mW
Fairly Loud 110 db 20.01 mW
Very Loud 115 db 63.08 mW
Painful 120 db 199.69 mW

If I f I have correctly interpreted the numbers, to manage the Peaks of Volume, I need 199.69 mw
My amp is able to manage 200mw at 300 ohm
Is it correct?
I have a DAC-X6 here I could test, the original one has high gain jumpers.

I'll throw a recently aquired hd600 on it.

Sep 11, 2021 at 1:52 PM Post #21,693 of 23,423
Agree with the 650 cable. I got these relatively inexpensive pads on Amazon and they are a treat - I like the leather and they have a built in nylon dust cover that, to me, is an improvement over the stock foam:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07B9M6GVV/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_api_glt_fabc_WFKPNGZF66MD7MBAY500

With these pads - in combination with the custom cans copper weight mod - my HD600 are supercharged: bass to die for, glorious mids (as always), and delicious, detailed, non-fatiguing treble. I’m in love all over again.

FE895E6F-1409-459C-9127-572AC9AFDEC9.jpeg
I can vouch for these cables, super cheap and feel premium. They make XLR versions. The 6.35mm for IEMs is also handy for desktop use.

Youkamoo 6.35mm https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08VRWXS1...abc_VZRV2SHBABCAM61RGJB7?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Sep 11, 2021 at 1:54 PM Post #21,694 of 23,423
Thanks Bro,I Appreciate..I NEVER open the Box and modify the gain..I Don't Know of Is set Low/medium or High..
There are two jumpers just for low and high gain. Ill take some pics.

I've also have changed the opamp and power adapter. I think in high gain it's doing about 1000mw @32 ohm which is very decent especially for the price.

Sep 11, 2021 at 4:25 PM Post #21,696 of 23,423
I find myself using the R70x at a lower volume setting than the HD600 to achieve the same subjective volume level (6C41C OTL amp).

Sep 11, 2021 at 7:58 PM Post #21,697 of 23,423
Thanks Bro,I Appreciate.. Have you MK2 or the previous model?I NEVER open the Box and modify the gain..I Don't Know of Is set Low/medium or High..
Runs them fine on low gain, gets very loud. I will up the gain tomorrow, but pretty sure it's gonna adequate. @AxeMadman81

LM4562NA is the opamp I use and got an adapter with 2a instead of 1 or 1.5a. not sure it makes a difference but supposedly its better for power hungry cans.

Reddit - headphones - FX-Audio Dac X6 gain jumpers https://www.reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/5rk667/fxaudio_dac_x6_gain_jumpers/

A Fiio K5 pro might also he a good option or the Zen Can, not sure how the Zen DAC would fair.

Last edited:
Sep 11, 2021 at 8:45 PM Post #21,698 of 23,423
The HD600s and R70x are both 102dB/V. the HD600s are 2dB less sensitive (97dB/mW vs 99dB/mW although diyaudio put the HD600 at 100dB/mW) but the R70x has more impedance (470-900Ohms vs 300-600Ohms).

That could be the reason. Many say the HD600s sound better with tubes than solid state. That could simply be preference as I heard tubes are warmer than solid states.
Besides one tube amp on long term loan in the 90's and my BHC the past 2 years (useless on my planars) I've been all SS since 1972. I'm a Nelson Pass SS guy.

The OTL tube impedance is high, which does give a boost to open ear headphones bass in the 60-100 Hz range. There is also the addition of harmonic distortion which does give in reasonable amounts a warmth that recalls acoustically warm classical settings vs typical sterile 2-D digital. That plus of course the soundstage from my OTL which actually has one unlike the 600 on SS which is blob. No SS amp is going to deliver those things, even if technically speaking the OTL "improvements" are arrived at via "impure" techniques/results.

Including room stereos I've probably heard more consumer electronics than anyone on this site - top 5 anyhow, and W.R.T. headphones a used HD-600 with new stock pads, a BHC w/ speedball (also possibly used) and a really good DAC (my case a Gumby) gives for everyone but bassheads a very fine experience for cheap money. Better than my $1695 Ragnarok.

Sep 11, 2021 at 9:11 PM Post #21,699 of 23,423
The HD600s and R70x are both 102dB/V. the HD600s are 2dB less sensitive (97dB/mW vs 99dB/mW although diyaudio put the HD600 at 100dB/mW) but the R70x has more impedance (470-900Ohms vs 300-600Ohms).

That could be the reason. Many say the HD600s sound better with tubes than solid state. That could simply be preference as I heard tubes are warmer than solid states.
Besides one tube amp on long term loan in the 90's and my BHC the past 2 years (useless on my planars) I've been all SS since 1972.
I am sure you have considered that if everyone thought the more hot treble profile of headphones like Grado (or HD700/HD800) was "painful" then Grado would be out of business a long time ago and not considered one of the top headphone manufacturers in the world.

The fact is, some people perceive the hotter treble with bigger soundstage as more realistic and/or better sounding, and often those same people perceive the HD600/HD650 more laid back signature as veiled, small, sleep-inducing, etc. I have no idea how in reality the poster asking for advice actually hears things in his own brain, only he can say this, but if he says he wants something more detailed and clear than the HD650 then I am definitely not going to steer him into HD600 which is just a variant of the HD6xx family sound. I instead would steer him into a headphone with more aggressive high end, which equals greater clarity and detail perception. If it actually results in pain that speaks to an imbalance in one's gear chain in being able to handle a headphone that is more revealing in treble.
My finding is that bright German cans, some Grados, some AT's and others seem to appeal to people that are primarily tuned into recorded music, often digitial - with little or no acoustic setting experience/memory. This doesn't obviate your point about popularity.

My point is education of the ears. And of course the lack of education - or GIGO. The third point which has to be considered is individual hearing - which certainly ruffle the first two concepts - and conclusions from it.

So I can't say you have tin ears because you like a given Beyer, I just know I likely can't bear it - due to unreality of excess treble for starters.

Sep 28, 2021 at 7:02 AM Post #21,702 of 23,423
Hello Guys.

I'm venturing into the world of liquid music and for some time now I wanna create a desktop HEADPHONES system in order to listen to lossless music.. I would like to gather opinions on how to move in the future regarding any purchases.

As for headphones, I have pretty clear ideas about what kind of sound I’m looking for. A high impedance open headset with neutrality features, tonal coerency and balance..

I am seriously considering buying the Sennhesier HD600.. If I decide to take HD 600, I also have to consider buying a good SS amp (no valves) that pairs well with this headset.. A powerful amplifier of good construction, neutral and transparent tone could be a good solution for you?

At the moment on top of my preferences there are these two models:. LAKE PEOPLE G100. LAKE PEOPLE G111

If I have correctly interpreted the specifications, the Lake People G 111 should have no difficulty in piloting the HD600.. The HD600 are high impedance headphones who needs a lot of "current". The Lake People has surplus power and voltage (it has a toroidal transformer powered) .

Output power 300 ohm-900 mw. Balanced/unbalanced outputs. Too bad for the lack of an "external" selector to adjust the gain.

Did someone try it coupled with an HD600?

Thanks To all

Sep 28, 2021 at 8:48 PM Post #21,703 of 23,423
Hello Guys.

I'm venturing into the world of liquid music and for some time now I wanna create a desktop HEADPHONES system in order to listen to lossless music.. I would like to gather opinions on how to move in the future regarding any purchases.

As for headphones, I have pretty clear ideas about what kind of sound I’m looking for. A high impedance open headset with neutrality features, tonal coerency and balance..

I am seriously considering buying the Sennhesier HD600.. If I decide to take HD 600, I also have to consider buying a good SS amp (no valves) that pairs well with this headset.. A powerful amplifier of good construction, neutral and transparent tone could be a good solution for you?

At the moment on top of my preferences there are these two models:. LAKE PEOPLE G100. LAKE PEOPLE G111

If I have correctly interpreted the specifications, the Lake People G 111 should have no difficulty in piloting the HD600.. The HD600 are high impedance headphones who needs a lot of "current". The Lake People has surplus power and voltage (it has a toroidal transformer powered) .

Output power 300 ohm-900 mw. Balanced/unbalanced outputs. Too bad for the lack of an "external" selector to adjust the gain.
Did someone try it coupled with an HD600?
Thanks To all
~ First, what do you mean by “liquid music”? With that aside, if you really want to use a high-impedance headphone such as the Sennheiser HD-600 (others would include Beyerdynamic DT-880, ZMF Auteur…), the best results will come from an output transformer-less tube h/p amplifier. Why the exclusion of tube amplification?
~ Anyway, as a high-impedance h/p, the Sennheiser HD-600 needs a decent voltage feed, not necessarily current feed. The Lake People G111 should be OK in this respect. The Lake People G100 will be harder to find; the G111 is its successor.

Sep 28, 2021 at 9:15 PM Post #21,704 of 23,423
~ First, what do you mean by “liquid music”? With that aside, if you really want to use a high-impedance headphone such as the Sennheiser HD-600 (others would include Beyerdynamic DT-880, ZMF Auteur…), the best results will come from an output transformer-less tube h/p amplifier. Why the exclusion of tube amplification?
~ Anyway, as a high-impedance h/p, the Sennheiser HD-600 needs a decent voltage feed, not necessarily current feed. The Lake People G111 should be OK in this respect. The Lake People G100 will be harder to find; the G111 is its successor.
Thanks, I figured I was the only one who has no idea what liquid music is.

Sep 28, 2021 at 9:20 PM Post #21,705 of 23,423
Thanks, I figured I was the only one who has no idea what liquid music is.
My first thought was Aqualung (Jethro Tull)…

Users who are viewing this thread

Back