A value I don’t understand is VOLTAGE

Safe 85 dB SPL 0.14 Vrms
Moderate 100 dB SPL 0.77 Vrms
Fairly Loud 110 dB SPL 2.45 Vrms
Very Loud 115 dB SPL 4.35 Vrms
Painful 120 dB SPL 7.74 Vrms

Is it the capacity of the Power Supply?
Is it enough a power supply stock 5V?
~ The voltage above is the voltage from the amplifier output stages.
~ On a (somewhat) related note, voltage can appear in the measurement of headphone sensitivity. The metric is: dB/V. You may have seen headphone sensitivity measures in dB/mw. The dB/V takes the ‘stated’ impedance of the headphone into account; the dB/mw does not. dB/V can be more useful in comparing headphones.
~ For the Sennheiser HD-600, the measures are 109.6 dB/V and 105.1 dB/mw. The value may not have much meaning per se but how it compares to others will have meaning.

Sep 9, 2021 at 10:28 AM Post #21,677 of 23,425
I always go with the simple rule of headphones/speakers first and than an amplifier/DAC. These sennheisers scale, but you wont bring the performance to the top headphones in todays market. Personally if I had a budget for Mojo Audio Evo DAC I would simply buy a better headphones, but others may enjoy the tonality of HD600 too much and can live with it’s quirks
HD-600 is only one of eight hp that I use: Audeze LCD-X through ZMF Auteur…I actually travelled the other route: get the best/TOTL source (CD transport/DAC) then work ‘downstream’ towards the ears…

Last edited:
Sep 9, 2021 at 12:37 PM Post #21,678 of 23,425
Thanks for your reply Jonathan
A value I don’t understand is VOLTAGE

Safe 85 dB SPL 0.14 Vrms
Moderate 100 dB SPL 0.77 Vrms
Fairly Loud 110 dB SPL 2.45 Vrms
Very Loud 115 dB SPL 4.35 Vrms
Painful 120 dB SPL 7.74 Vrms

Is it the capacity of the Power Supply?
Is it enough a power supply stock 5V?
Voltage is another part of power. Power (Watts) = Voltage * I (current)
C4BE5D04-FBCA-4A15-A18A-0F8C9C95636B.png

In most amps, current is a constant, and voltage varies with volume.

120 dB is earsplitting, not just uncomfortable but also unsafe volumes to listen at. Yes, 120 dB is sometimes the peak volume reached at a rock concert… but this is the bad seats right up front against the PA speakers, and at peak volume (80-120 dB). A peak at that volume might not knock off the fine high-frequency hairs from your cochlea instantly, but it will be a very unpleasant note that you won’t wish to repeat. By comparison, a symphonic concert is also very powerful, but live it will usually range from 80-102 dB at its absolute loudest… I would be more than happy to set my volume so the peaks is just 102 dB. To borrow an excellent diagram from DangerousDecibels.com:
3CB97182-89FA-487D-B5A3-C9B34D712F4B.jpeg

Sep 9, 2021 at 2:55 PM Post #21,679 of 23,425
Otoh I have heard enough chips (sets) to have formed impressions and opinions. Basically the technology I prefer costs a lot so in place of actual experience with that Topping (not all) in question my educated opinion is it will be outclassed.

Imo not such a logical jump as assuming your tout is as good as mine w/o hearing mine.
In other words, your educated opinion about a device you haven't heard is more valid than my actual experience with the device? That is not a convincing argument. Honestly, I don't know if you would like hearing the Topping D50s or not. In my experience it is transparent and not fatiguing with complex classical music, which is just about the only type of music I hear.

Sep 9, 2021 at 4:41 PM Post #21,680 of 23,425
In other words, your educated opinion about a device you haven't heard is more valid than my actual experience with the device?

That's an interesting way to parse it. You don't know my DAC and it's not clear you have heard it's technology

That is not a convincing argument. Honestly, I don't know if you would like hearing the Topping D50s or not. In my experience it is transparent and not fatiguing with complex classical music, which is just about the only type of music I hear.
Per your description it does sound worthwhile. I'll try to get hold of one and get back.

Sep 9, 2021 at 5:40 PM Post #21,681 of 23,425
Hi Guys, I need Your Help

I've an ALL IN ONE Ampli+Dac by FX-AUDIO
The model is FX-AUDIO X6MKII
Taking a look at the specs I've found this:

No chance to find The Output impedence of The Amplifier,I've find This

Output Power 940 mW @ 16 Ohms, 900 mW @ 32 Ohms, 700 mW @ 64 Ohms, 450 mW @ 120 Ohms, 200 mW @ 300 Ohms.

My question is: Is this Amplifier capable to drive HD600 (my next purchase) safely?

I'm using this calculator

HD600 Power Needed

Safe 85 db 0.07 mW
Moderate 100 db 1.98 mW
Fairly Loud 110 db 20.01 mW
Very Loud 115 db 63.08 mW
Painful 120 db 199.69 mW

If I f I have correctly interpreted the numbers, to manage the Peaks of Volume, I need 199.69 mw
My amp is able to manage 200mw at 300 ohm
Is it correct?
110dB peak SPL should already be overkill even for headroom but maybe if you want aim for 115dB peak SPL. Make sure your amp is able to reach at least 110dB across the whole frequency range.

The HD600s aren't too hard to drive, at least not like the HE-6's. I have a weak amp and even they were able to make my friends' HD600s loud on high gain, even in the bass region (500Ohms). On DIYaudio the sensitivity is rated at 100dB/mW which means it's probably even easier to drive than the official specs.
https://diyaudioheaven.wordpress.com/headphones/measurements/brands-s-se/hd600-2/

btw can anyone tell me when an amp is "weak"?

Last edited:
Sep 10, 2021 at 6:38 AM Post #21,682 of 23,425
I would recommend replacing the cable with an HD650 cable and not replacing the pads.
Agree with the 650 cable. I got these relatively inexpensive pads on Amazon and they are a treat - I like the leather and they have a built in nylon dust cover that, to me, is an improvement over the stock foam:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07B9M6GVV/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_api_glt_fabc_WFKPNGZF66MD7MBAY500

With these pads - in combination with the custom cans copper weight mod - my HD600 are supercharged: bass to die for, glorious mids (as always), and delicious, detailed, non-fatiguing treble. I’m in love all over again.

FE895E6F-1409-459C-9127-572AC9AFDEC9.jpeg

Last edited:
Sep 10, 2021 at 10:03 AM Post #21,683 of 23,425
The HD600s aren't too hard to drive, at least not like the HE-6's.

HE-6's like most planar headphones are low ohm affairs, which are well driven by amps with ample WPC. My Rag 1 certainly delivers lots into the planars I've plugged into it - such as the HE-6 6 screw and the HE-6se (16 wpc max output). In fact the stories of people using 60, 120, 200 WPC - makes me fear for the health of the HE-6's when a cartridge is dropped.

OTOH higher ohm cans (such as the 300 ohm 600) don't seem satisfied by my Rag 1. On my Bottlehead Crack w/ speedball OTL amp the 600 now has ample bass from 35-60 Hz, much better headstage, and a slight liquid romanticism not explained by just WPC (since the Rag 1 delivers 3X the juice to the 600 than the BHOC). Earlier in the thread the technical reasons have been examined, anyone should feel free to check it out.

All I know is I never listen to the 600's on the Rag 1 since I finished my BHC.

Headstage goes from:

/```\
|,,,,,|

to:

___/-------\___

not perfect but much wider, with a very deep and wide centerfill, and yes slightly buckled on both sides of the center. Very enjoyable with 3-6 players in jazz, classical, or audiophile new music.

Bass? BHC Fills in the sag of the 600 starting gently at 85 Hz, and starting to fall like a stone under 50.

Own a 600, if you haven't had it on a capable OTL I don't think you have heard it.

Sep 10, 2021 at 11:24 AM Post #21,684 of 23,425
Now try a truly modern, high power OTL:
86A7709D-412D-49AA-8E02-D099831E2BD3.jpeg

Last edited:
Sep 10, 2021 at 11:00 PM Post #21,685 of 23,425
HE-6's like most planar headphones are low ohm affairs, which are well driven by amps with ample WPC. My Rag 1 certainly delivers lots into the planars I've plugged into it - such as the HE-6 6 screw and the HE-6se (16 wpc max output). In fact the stories of people using 60, 120, 200 WPC - makes me fear for the health of the HE-6's when a cartridge is dropped.

OTOH higher ohm cans (such as the 300 ohm 600) don't seem satisfied by my Rag 1. On my Bottlehead Crack w/ speedball OTL amp the 600 now has ample bass from 35-60 Hz, much better headstage, and a slight liquid romanticism not explained by just WPC (since the Rag 1 delivers 3X the juice to the 600 than the BHOC). Earlier in the thread the technical reasons have been examined, anyone should feel free to check it out.

All I know is I never listen to the 600's on the Rag 1 since I finished my BHC.

Headstage goes from:

/```\
|,,,,,|

to:

___/-------\___

not perfect but much wider, with a very deep and wide centerfill, and yes slightly buckled on both sides of the center. Very enjoyable with 3-6 players in jazz, classical, or audiophile new music.

Bass? BHC Fills in the sag of the 600 starting gently at 85 Hz, and starting to fall like a stone under 50.

Own a 600, if you haven't had it on a capable OTL I don't think you have heard it.
I don't own an HD600 but I own a headphone with almost the same power requirements (R70x). On high gain It reaches unbearable levels at 2/5 volume, except for romantic which I have to turn to 5 but I do that even with my low impedance headphones since it's very dynamic. It gets loud, the soundstage and headroom are just as good if not better than my low imp headphones. Maybe the bass could be slightly better as the bass requires a bit more power, but the bass is still powerful.

All my music get as loud on my R70x as my low imp headphones. My amp is a slight bit weak but it still does 110dB peaks and drives my headphones very well. You don't need 10000 Gigawatts like you think. Maybe just a bit more mW for extra headroom and to maybe reach 115dB. An amp is also more than just power, so it maybe that your new amp is just better besides just more power.

Last edited:
Sep 11, 2021 at 7:03 AM Post #21,686 of 23,425
The R70x is pretty efficient, and easier to drive than some have claimed…

Sep 11, 2021 at 8:51 AM Post #21,687 of 23,425
I don't own an HD600 but I own a headphone with almost the same power requirements (R70x). On high gain It reaches unbearable levels at 2/5 volume, except for romantic which I have to turn to 5 but I do that even with my low impedance headphones since it's very dynamic. It gets loud, the soundstage and headroom are just as good if not better than my low imp headphones. Maybe the bass could be slightly better as the bass requires a bit more power, but the bass is still powerful.

All my music get as loud on my R70x as my low imp headphones. My amp is a slight bit weak but it still does 110dB peaks and drives my headphones very well. You don't need 10000 Gigawatts like you think. Maybe just a bit more mW for extra headroom and to maybe reach 115dB. An amp is also more than just power, so it maybe that your new amp is just better besides just more power.
That's interesting. I'm quite sure there are at least 10 posters in this thread that found what I found - unusually better sound out of OTL amps vs SS amps on the HD-600 - including SS amps with the subtle abilities of Class A and a Class AB bludgeon in one - such as the Ragnarok. The Ragnarok delivers 3x the power to the HD600 than the BHC, yet the 35Hz - 80 Hz tells the tale in every type of music. Declining 10 db from 80 Hz to 35 Hz on SS. Not sure of the OTL measurement but its a substantial amount more (est .65 at least of the missing Hz) and yes it falls off at 35 indicating limits of the can. You can partially replace the missing Hz with an EQ, but the 35-45Hz area doesn't sound right. And you don't get the serious improvement in headspace or the liquid coherence from an EQ.

Sep 11, 2021 at 9:21 AM Post #21,688 of 23,425
The R70x is pretty efficient, and easier to drive than some have claimed…
The HD600s and R70x are both 102dB/V. the HD600s are 2dB less sensitive (97dB/mW vs 99dB/mW although diyaudio put the HD600 at 100dB/mW) but the R70x has more impedance (470-900Ohms vs 300-600Ohms).

That's interesting. I'm quite sure there are at least 10 posters in this thread that found what I found - unusually better sound out of OTL amps vs SS amps on the HD-600 - including SS amps with the subtle abilities of Class A and a Class AB bludgeon in one - such as the Ragnarok. The Ragnarok delivers 3x the power to the HD600 than the BHC, yet the 35Hz - 80 Hz tells the tale in every type of music. Declining 10 db from 80 Hz to 35 Hz on SS. Not sure of the OTL measurement but its a substantial amount more (est .65 at least of the missing Hz) and yes it falls off at 35 indicating limits of the can. You can partially replace the missing Hz with an EQ, but the 35-45Hz area doesn't sound right. And you don't get the serious improvement in headspace or the liquid coherence from an EQ.
That could be the reason. Many say the HD600s sound better with tubes than solid state. That could simply be preference as I heard tubes are warmer than solid states.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back