Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Jul 26, 2021 at 1:30 AM Post #21,526 of 23,423
Have had it for about 2 weeks and love this! I do get what you mean now on the 58x is more fun, definitely notice the sub-bass difference. I do like hearing more stuff on the 600 as well, now I see why people have so many different headphones lol.

Got a few more questions:
1) How long will the earpads last before I should replace them if I'm using these for many hours everyday?
2) Do the earpad replacements come with an inner foam replacement as well? Mines has a really small tear (on the inner foam) where you push the disc in to lock the earpads, so afaik thankfully the disc is blocking it off from my ear reaching it but would be nice to replace when I eventually replace earpads down the line.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2021 at 1:37 AM Post #21,527 of 23,423
2) Do the earpad replacements come with an inner foam replacement as well? Mines has a really small tear (on the inner foam) where you push the disc in to lock the earpads, so afaik thankfully the disc is blocking it off from my ear reaching it but would be nice to replace eventually replace earpads.

Historically yes, but Sennheiser recently changed the pads' manufacturing and I don't know if the packaging is exactly the same or not in that regard. In case you only want to buy the foam : https://www.thomann.de/gb/sennheiser_hd600_650_foam_net_pad.htm

Jul 26, 2021 at 2:50 AM Post #21,528 of 23,423
Historically yes, but Sennheiser recently changed the pads' manufacturing and I don't know if the packaging is exactly the same or not in that regard. In case you only want to buy the foam : https://www.thomann.de/gb/sennheiser_hd600_650_foam_net_pad.htm
Unfortunately it says "We are quite disappointed with Sennheiser for preventing us from shipping to your country of choice. Please consider products of a different manufacturer or switch to another delivery country." when I tried to pick the US option, thanks though.

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2021 at 4:03 AM Post #21,529 of 23,423
Unfortunately it says "We are quite disappointed with Sennheiser for preventing us from shipping to your country of choice. Please consider products of a different manufacturer or switch to another delivery country." when I tried to pick the US option, thanks though.
Plenty available cheap on ebay.

Jul 26, 2021 at 7:32 AM Post #21,530 of 23,423

Oh that's annoying :/. Too bad as Thomann's is the real SKU from Sennheiser, not a copy / knock off.

Jul 26, 2021 at 8:21 AM Post #21,532 of 23,423
Back to matching an amp with the HD-600. It's not just the wpc at 300 ohms, it's how it deals with dynamics and sound stage.

My Ragnarok 1 which is a beast has 3x the wpc at 300 ohms than the OTL amp: Bottlehead Crack. My crack is much more musical, even suave then the Rag (600 only). Yes the BHC has more THD. But the Rag/600 doesn't have the sound stage, dynamics, or such a pleasant treble. My Rag drives all my other cans, and is good enough to drive a Susvara or a Raal - or a Maggie .7i.

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2021 at 8:27 AM Post #21,533 of 23,423
Jul 26, 2021 at 10:28 AM Post #21,534 of 23,423
Back to matching an amp with the HD-600. It's not just the wpc at 300 ohms, it's how it deals with dynamics and sound stage.

My Ragnarok 1 which is a beast has 3x the wpc at 300 ohms than the OTL amp: Bottlehead Crack. My crack is much more musical, even suave then the Rag (600 only). Yes the BHC has more THD. But the Rag/600 doesn't have the sound stage, dynamics, or such a pleasant treble. My Rag drives all my other cans, and is good enough to drive a Susvara or a Raal - or a Maggie .7i.
I have a similar experience using any of the phones from the 600 family with the Valhalla and the Lyr 2. I prefer all of the 600 family of phones using the OTL tube Valhalla over the tube hybrid Lyr (even though they still sound good on the Lyr). The soundstage really expands using the Valhalla. Conversely the Lyr excels at powering the planar phones I use (Aeon Flow X, Sundara, Modhouse Argon Mk 2, Deva, etc.).

Jul 26, 2021 at 11:52 AM Post #21,535 of 23,423
Jul 27, 2021 at 1:01 AM Post #21,536 of 23,423
I ordered new pads from a norwegian online store (Evenstad musikk) and got pads and foam in the bag. It looked like it came straight from Sennheiser. I would think that foam is included when you buy new stock Sennheiser pads.

And that brings me to the problem: new pads.
I bought a pair of 2012-ish well worn HD600 which reaked of smoke, really, really bad. I did a quick test just to make shure they worked before I tore them apart for cleaning. And my god, did they sound good. I had the 6XX before and did not like them at all. I found them very veiled and kind of compressed with little separation.

But the pads where really worn and the seam where loose so they had to go. I put everything else, except the drivers in soap and water and soaked them 24 hours before scrubbing everything clean. I, of course, managed to break a driver when removing dust (on of those extremely thin wires). So I bought a new driver and pads (new type) for them. The new and old driver had an imbalance. The new one was louder across the board, that got better after some hours of burn in.

But, with the new pads, they did not sound like they did with the old worn out pads. It sounded much better with the old pads, so I really hope they will sound like that again, after the new pads are worn and compressed and I really hope that its not the new driver that is to blame for the sound changes.

For reference I use the HD600`s with a TDA1387 NOS DAC - Asgard 1 & 2 and Bottlehead S.E.X.

Jul 27, 2021 at 1:55 AM Post #21,537 of 23,423
Which TDA1387 NOS DAC?

Jul 27, 2021 at 3:15 AM Post #21,539 of 23,423
USB-powered? With 2x 4x TDA1387 in parallel? Must draw a bit of power!

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2021 at 5:13 AM Post #21,540 of 23,423
I guess. It`s not without it`s faults. I think it sounds very good, but it needs to be plugged in/out sometimes because it crackles and pops. Cheap chi-fi I guess..

Edit: Spelling.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back