Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
May 3, 2021 at 6:07 AM Post #21,421 of 23,313
Amplifier is feliks echo 2, I know it doesn't get the best of hd650, but still I don't see them matching todays top tier performers. If I haven't owned and heard few of them I could debate that hd650 could stand with best. From the price point HD650/600 is insane value and I don't think there are many other hp with such price/performance ratio. today market is filled with mediocre and overpriced stuff covered by glossy reviews across websites and forums, but you can get good SQ for cheap which was not possible before.

Some of the flaghsips though are in the league of their own, but they usually are crazy expensive
When the word flagship comes up, then price is out the window. OTOH, that's artificial, because everybody but a billionaire uses cost in the formulae to decide.

HD-600's on an amp that is made for it (OTL) is probably the cheapest way I know how to get into a sound that is not perfect, but perhaps be dubbed "psuedo SOTA" if you can shutoff your judgements about tubes and a ~$300 can, then the enjoyment of this combo takes you a long way.

OTOH, that combo is no match for the Susvara and matching top pieces. But at what? 10X the price. An E2 on a Mjolnir 2? 4X more and better. A HE-600 se v2 w/ on steep discount w/ a Lyr3 and a multibit DAC included might be better.

But not much else in that price range, no to Ananda, LCD-2, etc....

May 3, 2021 at 10:13 AM Post #21,422 of 23,313
Try them with a vintage stereo amplifier or receiver, preferably a top brand name like Sansui, Pioneer, Kenwood, Marantz, etc. Must be an amp that came out between late 60s - 79, 40wpc & above. You can use the headphone output because it‘s connected to the speaker amp and has resistors inside as opposed to modern stereo amps who‘s headphone output is connected to an op-amp. With a vintage amp you’re getting the whole amp just like the speakers are and I guarantee you that your HD650 headphone will sound like the flagship model which it once was. I listen to my HD650 w/ my vintage Kenwood KA-8006 int. amp., 70wpc [1974] & they sound magnificent. Just my recommendation/ opinion.

Agreed. I often run the 600 family of cans on either a Sansui AU-719 integrated or Marantz 2250B and they sound excellent on them. In fact the HD6XXs sound better on these than any other amp(s) including OTL tube amps in my experience. I gave my lady a Sansui G5000 receiver and the higher impedance Sennheisers sound fantastic on that as well.

Interestingly enough I find the vintage integrated amps/receivers pair better with medium to higher impedance phones (50 ohms and above) than they do lower impedance planars. They will power lower impedance planars well don't get me wrong, but they seem to have much better drive and synergy with higher impedance phones like the 600 family of cans. Listening tells me the headphone stages on the vintage integrateds and receivers where engineered to run with higher impedance phones.

May 4, 2021 at 1:40 PM Post #21,423 of 23,313
When the word flagship comes up, then price is out the window. OTOH, that's artificial, because everybody but a billionaire uses cost in the formulae to decide.

HD-600's on an amp that is made for it (OTL) is probably the cheapest way I know how to get into a sound that is not perfect, but perhaps be dubbed "psuedo SOTA" if you can shutoff your judgements about tubes and a ~$300 can, then the enjoyment of this combo takes you a long way.

OTOH, that combo is no match for the Susvara and matching top pieces. But at what? 10X the price. An E2 on a Mjolnir 2? 4X more and better. A HE-600 se v2 w/ on steep discount w/ a Lyr3 and a multibit DAC included might be better.

But not much else in that price range, no to Ananda, LCD-2, etc....

Ananda was a disappointment for me. Yes better bass/soundstage than HD650, but tonality somehow sounded wonky for me. While I love planars for their liquid sound presentation, Ananda managed to fail there. With LCD's I think it's hit or miss case, depending if their tonality will suit you, but if you are not looking for better bass I doubt that LCD2 would be a worth sidegrade from HD650. As an all-rounder there is one planar that I get itchy for, but the price tag puts my willy to sleep

Last edited:
May 4, 2021 at 1:42 PM Post #21,424 of 23,313
Ananda was a disappointment for me. Yes better bass/soundstage than HD650, but tonality somehow sounded wonky for me. While I love planars for their liquid sound presentation, Ananda managed to fail there. With LCD's I think it's hit or miss case, depending if their tonality will suit you, but if you are not looking for better bass I doubt that LCD2 would be a worth sidegrade from HD650. As an all-rounder there is one planar that I get itchy for, but the price tag puts my willy to sleep
Sundara
M1570
Just saying.

May 4, 2021 at 2:43 PM Post #21,425 of 23,313

OTOH, that combo is no match for the Susvara and matching top pieces. But at what? 10X the price. An E2 on a Mjolnir 2?...
Agreed! I really enjoy my HD-600s (Custom Can mod) driven by Woo Audio WA3. What’s great about the 600s is their upscalability. I can use TS 5998 and Amperex PQ 7308s in the WA3 and the improvement comes through the HD-600s “loud n’ clear”.

The HD-600s really shine with the Schiit Mjolnir II (@ksorota capacitor mods). Here again, tube differences definitely come through! (Choice with the MJ-II: GEC A2900).

Yes, the HD-600s can “take you a long way” to - if not ‘perfect’ sound - immense musical enjoyment and keep on reaching higher!...

May 4, 2021 at 4:23 PM Post #21,426 of 23,313
Love the LCD-4, but the 3 and the 3 versions of the lCD-2 I know? No.

May 8, 2021 at 11:56 AM Post #21,427 of 23,313
Do they sell replacement headbands for the new HD600? Older version would be cool too but I read they are no longer to be found anywhere.

This place in the UK sells replacements. I'm not sure if the product photograph is up to date, so I'd ask what it is you'd get.

https://www.audiosanctuary.co.uk/sennheiser-replacement-complete-headband-for-hd600.html

Sennheiser gave me a part number for HD600 headband, but they didnt specify if its old marble version (doubtful).

586411, $50

Visited the store today and can confirm this is the old marble finish. They told me they purchased the last batch from Sennheiser (of the old marble finish) - and i believe them

(Snapseed filter applied)

20210508_163817-01.jpeg

20210508_163908-01.jpeg

May 8, 2021 at 10:52 PM Post #21,428 of 23,313
Visited the store today and can confirm this is the old marble finish. They told me they purchased the last batch from Sennheiser (of the old marble finish) - and i believe them

(Snapseed filter applied)

20210508_163817-01.jpeg

20210508_163908-01.jpeg
I just purchased one online. I never thought that I would find the ‘marble’ headpiece. What style!

May 10, 2021 at 7:57 AM Post #21,431 of 23,313
Yes I have one. It’s exactly the same cable as the stock HD650 cable but with a 4 pin xlr.
Thanks for the clarification as I wasn't sure of what that was until I saw your post.

May 10, 2021 at 7:59 AM Post #21,432 of 23,313
Anyone uses the Sennheiser CH 650 S XLR cable?
Yes I have been using one as well. Wasn't sure what it was until I saw Donlin's description. I use it on all of the 600 family of phones and it works very well.

May 10, 2021 at 9:17 AM Post #21,433 of 23,313
Just saw a new post on the measurement site where they measured and compared the HD600 and HD650 and basically said in terms of measurements and listening tests that there was no difference between the two. Seriously! You can't make this up! I hear very large differences between the two when A/Bing on the same equipment. Must all be in my head! SMH! 😏

May 10, 2021 at 9:32 AM Post #21,434 of 23,313
May 10, 2021 at 9:58 AM Post #21,435 of 23,313

Users who are viewing this thread

Back