Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Apr 25, 2021 at 8:42 AM Post #21,391 of 23,417
Over the long haul, the 600 is the real keeper when it comes to less fatigue, more consistent enjoyment, accurate timbre, comfort, reliability, etc.
^ this.

Sometimes there is a product that just nails it, and cannot be improved on at all. The HD 600 is a magical set of cans. Well, I could live without the clamp of death on my jaws, but that's my only complaint :D

Apr 25, 2021 at 9:10 AM Post #21,392 of 23,417
True there are a lot of people who didn't hear something and post meme opinions and that might be what you're talking about.

But I think all we can rely on is the opinions of people who actually heard the gear. I have headphones that cost 5-10X the price of a pair of HD 600s and while the more expensive ones are better in some ways, the HD 600s still win (for me) in terms of how accurate the tonality is and how enjoyable they are to listen to. And the HD 600s scale to the point it's almost impossible to throw too much amp at them. This is not true of many other cans.
👍. I will add that it is impossible to “throw” too much DAC and cabling to the HD 600. I use Mojo Audio EVO Mystique and Arctic Cables Palladium Series!.....Divine!

Apr 25, 2021 at 9:11 AM Post #21,393 of 23,417
👍. I will add that it is impossible to “throw” too much DAC and cabling to the HD 600. I use Mojo Audio EVO Mystique and Arctic Cables Palladium Series!.....Divine!
Awesome! I did not know that :)

Apr 26, 2021 at 10:42 AM Post #21,394 of 23,417
Apr 26, 2021 at 3:38 PM Post #21,395 of 23,417
Yes I’ve heard HD600 and 650 in store via SS and bought 650 to use at home. I don’t see insane scaling with OTL amp, actually I don’t think it could beat flagship even with best amplifier on market, but thats just my meme opinion

Apr 26, 2021 at 8:24 PM Post #21,396 of 23,417
Yes I’ve heard HD600 and 650 in store via SS and bought 650 to use at home. I don’t see insane scaling with OTL amp, actually I don’t think it could beat flagship even with best amplifier on market, but thats just my meme opinion
Try them with a vintage stereo amplifier or receiver, preferably a top brand name like Sansui, Pioneer, Kenwood, Marantz, etc. Must be an amp that came out between late 60s - 79, 40wpc & above. You can use the headphone output because it‘s connected to the speaker amp and has resistors inside as opposed to modern stereo amps who‘s headphone output is connected to an op-amp. With a vintage amp you’re getting the whole amp just like the speakers are and I guarantee you that your HD650 headphone will sound like the flagship model which it once was. I listen to my HD650 w/ my vintage Kenwood KA-8006 int. amp., 70wpc [1974] & they sound magnificent. Just my recommendation/ opinion.

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2021 at 5:25 PM Post #21,397 of 23,417
Try them with a vintage stereo amplifier or receiver, preferably a top brand name as Sansui, Pioneer, Kenwood, Marantz, etc. Must be an amp that came out between late 60s - 79, 40wpc & above. You can use the headphone output because it‘s connected to the speaker amp and has resistors inside as opposed to modern stereo amps who‘s headphone output is connected to an op-amp. With a vintage amp you’re getting the whole amp just like the speakers are and I guarantee you that your HD650 headphone will sound like a flagship model which it once was. I listen to my HD650 w/ my vintage Kenwood KA-8006 int. amp., 70wpc [1974] & they sound magnificent. Just my recommendation/ opinion.

I'm currently having HD650 plugged to Feliks Echo 2 which delivers 380mW, it is strange that the transducers could be that inefficient . vintage amps seems interesting offering, but if it will cost like a new horse I won't be able to go that route just for the use with hd650. Echo 2 though never reaches more than 9'o clock and seems to have plenty of headroom and I love 650 tonality as a whole with tubes. Never caused me a fatigue, gets out of the way and let's the music flow, has very romantic character, but but... it doesn't grab me by the balls like utopia does, especially with well mastered tracks

Apr 27, 2021 at 11:54 PM Post #21,398 of 23,417
Try them with a vintage stereo amplifier or receiver, preferably a top brand name as Sansui, Pioneer, Kenwood, Marantz, etc. Must be an amp that came out between late 60s - 79, 40wpc & above. You can use the headphone output because it‘s connected to the speaker amp and has resistors inside as opposed to modern stereo amps who‘s headphone output is connected to an op-amp. With a vintage amp you’re getting the whole amp just like the speakers are and I guarantee you that your HD650 headphone will sound like a flagship model which it once was. I listen to my HD650 w/ my vintage Kenwood KA-8006 int. amp., 70wpc [1974] & they sound magnificent. Just my recommendation/ opinion.

I fully agree with this. I love my HD600 with my NAD 3020e.

Apr 28, 2021 at 7:33 AM Post #21,399 of 23,417
I have not logged into Head-Fi in a long time. I finally have a reason to post in this thread. After seeing Sennheiser finally do away with the awful kitchen counter top finish of the HD600, I now have a reason to pick up a pair of the new HD600.

I have owned the HD650 for about a decade, and because I already have the Valhalla 2 OTL tube amp, and the HD58x - it made since to finally round-out the "collection" with the HD600, and I am curious to see what these new Romanian made headphones are like (I have only heard good things). I will still probably use my HD650 for most applications and music listening, but I am looking forward to these arriving Friday to finally have a pair of headphones to use for recording music and mastering (although the 650's were doing just fine, might I add).

I figured it was either now or never, because the way I see it, it is only a matter of time before all Sennheisers are made in China... Hopefully I am wrong. But, it also made it easier because I found a music site with the HD600 in stock and I only have to pay $35 a month for them (for a ****ing year).

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2021 at 7:44 AM Post #21,401 of 23,417
How often are people changing pads on the HD600 ?
Depends on how you store them. I keep all my headphones in hardshell cases, so the pads are only being depressed when on my head. Doing it this way the pads last several years.

In the past, I use to keep my headphone on a stand, so they the pads were constantly depressed. Doing it this way the pads wore out in about a year.

Apr 28, 2021 at 7:55 AM Post #21,402 of 23,417
Depends on how you store them. I keep all my headphones in hardshell cases, so the pads are only being depressed when on my head. Doing it this way the pads last several years.

In the past, I use to keep my headphone on a stand, so they the pads were constantly depressed. Doing it this way the pads wore out in about a year.
I store them freely as well, hanged on the wall because of the same reasons. I just bought mine back in October and while still new, they have become rather flat. They don't have that original oval shape/curve. Used them daily for about 4 months.

Apr 28, 2021 at 8:14 AM Post #21,403 of 23,417
Yeah but factory is right next door :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back