Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Jul 26, 2020 at 2:04 PM Post #20,776 of 23,423
I just ended up buying another used set of HD600's, although these are supposedly much newer.

I owned a set of these in the winter and was, for the most part, underwhelmed. But when I put them on my tube amp, they really sang. However, I decided to move them on as a one trick pony. Well now several months later my tube amp is kind of bored and wants a new playpal, so I decided to get another set.
I am also curious about some other new amps and I wonder if they (SS and hybrid) can bring more out of the 600's than my past models.

Which tube amp?

I like mine out of a Meier Corda Jazz-ff and balanced out of a V280. You have a V2something, right? That ought to sound pretty good.

Jul 26, 2020 at 3:13 PM Post #20,777 of 23,423
I just ended up buying another used set of HD600's, although these are supposedly much newer.

I owned a set of these in the winter and was, for the most part, underwhelmed. But when I put them on my tube amp, they really sang. However, I decided to move them on as a one trick pony. Well now several months later my tube amp is kind of bored and wants a new playpal, so I decided to get another set.
I am also curious about some other new amps and I wonder if they (SS and hybrid) can bring more out of the 600's than my past models.
I wouldn't expect them to, but who knows, maybe you'll find a surprise.

Jul 26, 2020 at 3:16 PM Post #20,778 of 23,423

Another thing you might consider is an EQ.

Jul 26, 2020 at 3:36 PM Post #20,779 of 23,423
Which tube amp?

I like mine out of a Meier Corda Jazz-ff and balanced out of a V280. You have a V2something, right? That ought to sound pretty good.

I have a Mapletree Ear+ HDII tube amp, a Liquid Platinum hybrid amp and a Violectric V220 SS amp.

Jul 26, 2020 at 3:38 PM Post #20,780 of 23,423
I wouldn't expect them to, but who knows, maybe you'll find a surprise.

I think maybe the Violectric could do something amazing. This amp regularly surprises me. I never heard of the company four months ago.

Jul 26, 2020 at 3:40 PM Post #20,781 of 23,423
Another thing you might consider is an EQ.

I have a Schiit Loki, but I'd rather not use it. They did sound great out of the tube and the V220 gives everything bass, if it is in the music. Mark me as curious.

Jul 26, 2020 at 7:34 PM Post #20,783 of 23,423
Jul 26, 2020 at 7:40 PM Post #20,784 of 23,423

All I can say is that I have heard them on just two amps the past 10 years.

1. Schiit Ragnarok 1

2. BH Crack w/ speedball mod.

Even though I had a very nice XLR cable on the Rag (much better performance than SE), the BH Crack beat the Rag in a KO in Round 2.

I'm willing to wager that the v281 might drive it well, but basically any OTL amp past an initial kit amp would probable beat 98.9% of all transistor amps.

Jul 26, 2020 at 8:21 PM Post #20,785 of 23,423
As far as EQ I haven't tried a hardware EQ in 42 years, but it had a signature. Now I use 6 & 10 setting digital parametrics, and if there is a sound to them, even when you set 1700 Hz +7 and 3200 Hz -4, I can NOT find a phase effect, breathing, issues at multiples of settings, nothing.

My HE6se with minor mods and a 10 band sounds worth the original asking price ($1799), same with my HEX v2, without it, it can sound like an ascetic Joni Mitchell, with it Miles Davis, Pavarotti, and Dead Can Dance all sound appropriate. And let me not forget the HE-500 with lots of mods and in-born magic, have more magic, and less ringing and more openness. As they are, they top the Ananda w/o EQ.no problem to these ears (soundstage, bass timbre, midrange in any category - esp body and depth.

Last edited:
Jul 30, 2020 at 4:35 PM Post #20,786 of 23,423
A while ago I had some 4XLR extension cables made for my headphones using Van Damme Star Quad XKE. I've been using them since, but only recently when I was doing an A/B test I noticed a problem with one of the cables. On this particular cable the mids sounded recessed and the soundstage very narrow, the output level was also lower than all the other extension cables. So I measured it on my miniDSP EARS headphone jig, which confirmed it was -3dB quieter than the other cables and also had elevated levels of harmonic distortion! I then tested it for continuity using a multimeter and found that pin 2 is connected to both pin 2 and pin 4, and pin 4 is connected to both pin 4 and pin 2. Thinking I'd identified the source of the problem, I then tested all of the other 4XLR extension cables for continuity and was surprised and confused when I got the same result! Can someone please confirm if pins 2 and 4 on a 4XLR headphone plug are supposed to be wired together? I thought the whole point of balanced drive was to keep all the signal paths separate?

Jul 30, 2020 at 4:38 PM Post #20,787 of 23,423
That doesn't sound correct at all. Yes, each driver should have two wires. I guess if somebody wired one pin together it was to use an XLR plug with unbalance headphone wiring.

Jul 30, 2020 at 7:12 PM Post #20,790 of 23,423

Users who are viewing this thread

Back