Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Feb 7, 2020 at 10:15 AM Post #20,221 of 23,423
I know there are two different headband cushion designs, one for the 598/600 and one for the 650/660, but I believe there is only one set of pads available for all of them, right?

No, the 650 has a unique pad and the 600 has a unique pad. Those pads may work with other headphones but the 600 and 650 pad is not the same.

https://customcans.co.uk/s/s/index....r/original-sennheiser-hd600-head-padding.html
https://www.thomann.de/intl/sennheiser_hd_650_head_pad.htm

Edited: whoops you meant ear pads not headband pad, correct? Yes, the 600 series (600, 650, 6XX) all share the same earpads. Thanks to @BobG55 post, I would have misunderstood what you are asking.

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2020 at 7:27 PM Post #20,224 of 23,423
I actually do prefer the older design. It was classier. Now is just plain.
Too bad that the old design started to get its paint chipped even with a lot of care. But still, if they are using a hd6xx finish these things will scratch pretty easilly.
Is it me or are they now shipping these with cheaper, hd25 like boxes (cardboard boxes with no classy black box inside)?

Feb 7, 2020 at 7:36 PM Post #20,225 of 23,423
I prefer the old design too, the new one looks a lot more cheap and generic

Feb 8, 2020 at 3:07 AM Post #20,226 of 23,423
Hooray! I'm not the only one who prefers the older design! And yes, AFAIK, the new ones don't ship with the presentation box like the older run. I think for a time, they updated the outer box from the ridged design, but still kept the interior presentation box and now I think they just have the outer box, much like how the MassDrop versions shipped.

Feb 8, 2020 at 4:53 AM Post #20,227 of 23,423
Really can't wait to try these headphones after all these years. Yes, I'm late to the game, but I'm still intrigued at the die-hard love for this headphone!
If you've been used to other kind of sound signatures, I think the HD600 will act as a revelation in terms of neutrality representation. Even when compared to a well balanced headphone, it's still merciless when it comes to tone/timbre realism. I think that's why it gets so much love.

Feb 8, 2020 at 8:51 AM Post #20,228 of 23,423
Soo... Just got mine. Everything sounds very good, just right.
IMG_20200208_144642.jpg

I went the cheapo way and reused my HD 58X Jubilee shell (this is one reason why I love HD 6xx series). Very happy that I did. I've loved my HD 6XX and I preferred them to HD 58X Jubilee and HD 660 S but I'd say that this edges HD 650 slightly (the differences between those two are rather small though).

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2020 at 1:27 PM Post #20,229 of 23,423
I actually do prefer the older design. It was classier. Now is just plain.
Is it me or are they now shipping these with cheaper, hd25 like boxes (cardboard boxes with no classy black box inside)?

Older stuff is almost always better (says me the old guy). New stuff might be good or might not be. Usually when they change something old the reason is to save money, not make it better. Sennheiser packaging has always been a sore spot and a weak point. It's crap to to be honest. Look at how the 800 and 820s are packaged...

I would like a sealed box so that you know nobody monkeyed with your multiple thousand euro purchase, a real storage case or box of some kind, and at least two cables. One needs to be standard quarter inch like we have been using for 50 years and the other needs to be a 4 pin XLR for balanced amps.

Feb 8, 2020 at 3:44 PM Post #20,230 of 23,423
That’s falling under the assumption that FR response is the only thing that influences perception of sound though. It just proves it doesn’t alter the FR response but doesn’t necessarily factor in other potential problems such as passive intermodulation.
This is true. Frequency response definitely isn't the only thing that makes the final sound. You can have multiple distortions getting lower with better cables, which leads to more refinement in the sound even though the FR will remain the same.

Feb 9, 2020 at 4:14 AM Post #20,231 of 23,423
Older stuff is almost always better (says me the old guy). New stuff might be good or might not be. Usually when they change something old the reason is to save money, not make it better. Sennheiser packaging has always been a sore spot and a weak point. It's crap to to be honest. Look at how the 800 and 820s are packaged...

I would like a sealed box so that you know nobody monkeyed with your multiple thousand euro purchase, a real storage case or box of some kind, and at least two cables. One needs to be standard quarter inch like we have been using for 50 years and the other needs to be a 4 pin XLR for balanced amps.

I love the box that the HD600 came in. It's hard, durable with thick foam inside. I have the older one with the blue Sennheiser name and logo which seems quite heavy...I'm sure the later one is built the same. I will always use it for my main 600 storage box and it's nice and roomy so you can leave the cable plugged in.

It also doubles as a good, secure packing box. It's impossible for these headphones to break when shipped in it. I bet you anything the new crap cardboard package is going to cause problems for retailers when they are shipped with inadequate packing material.

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2020 at 4:33 AM Post #20,232 of 23,423
Después de varios años de servicio, todavía disfruto de mi HD600, muchos han pasado por casa, pero esto siempre se debe a su versatilidad con cualquier estilo, es totalmente agradable, animo, no me arrepentiré

Feb 9, 2020 at 7:54 AM Post #20,233 of 23,423
This is true. Frequency response definitely isn't the only thing that makes the final sound. You can have multiple distortions getting lower with better cables, which leads to more refinement in the sound even though the FR will remain the same.

Distortion can be measured too, so it cables affect distortion that should be measurable

Feb 9, 2020 at 1:43 PM Post #20,235 of 23,423
As seen being worn by French President Macron in one of the Marine National's submarines:

The guys(and gals) at Focal rips their hair ...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back