Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Jun 29, 2019 at 9:21 PM Post #19,696 of 23,423
Not so, the 650 to me is warm and blunted. It doesn't do piano as well as the 600 or have the correct timbre.

Beyer? Have yet to hear one that doesn't kill me with the over defined and sharp treble.

You seem to have already made up your mind....
The DT-150 and DT-250 are not like the 770, 880, 990 and the Tesla models. They're actually strong in the midrange with a smooth yet sparkly treble, and great timbre with good bass impact and extension (due to the closed back design).

The timbre would even be amazing for a great open back design, let alone a closed back and in that price range.

Jun 29, 2019 at 9:48 PM Post #19,697 of 23,423
I am no fan of harsh treble believe me, but I have owned most of the headphones being discussed here. I never found the DT770 or 880 to be a problem in the treble, and I listened quite loud. That isn't to say that I haven't heard better treble presentation elsewhere, but I just don't feel they were in any way bad. My memory of the DT880, and I had the pleasure of the 600ohm model driven by an SPL Auditor, was of a very, very good headphone, a classic signature from Beyer as the HD650/600 is to Sennheiser.

I was lucky enough to have owned, for a time both the HD600 and HD800S, and have a wonderful La Figaro 339 with some gorgeous tubes. I was very lucky with the 339 and tubes. I also owned the HD650 at the same time as the DT880 and ultimately elected to keep the 880s over the 650, but it was a very hard decision for me to make. I really liked all of the HD series, I even have an HD700 on hand (a friends) right now, and that headphone is pretty nice once you do a little equalization it seems to balance out better and really is overall good and with quite a bit of the music I listen to, at times I found the HD700 to be extremely engaging and having me think, at this time this headphone is sounding amazing.

The sad thing for me is that when I had the HD600 and the great OTL tube amp rig, I was very lucky to have an opportunity to get a mint HD800S from a US based head-fi member, and the price was quite good so wonderful luck there. Once I had the 800S on, as much as I wanted to give the 600 more head time, which I actually don't have much of at home believe it or not, with the 800S I was hooked. I plumped up the bass, just a bit, not much, just enough to be effective and that headphone was cracking good.

But to end on the HD600 as I should, I do think that I would likely prefer it over the 650, not by a wide margin, but enough to know. Looking back to the entire HD catalogue, Sennheiser has just produced incredible headphones, a diverse array of signatures, and spread out in price-point so that much of the range was affordable. I haven't heard any of the 500 series HD models myself, but I feel pretty confident predicting I would also find many things to like in that series.

Last edited:
Jun 29, 2019 at 11:03 PM Post #19,698 of 23,423
The DT-150 and DT-250 are not like the 770, 880, 990 and the Tesla models. They're actually strong in the midrange with a smooth yet sparkly treble, and great timbre with good bass impact and extension (due to the closed back design).

The timbre would even be amazing for a great open back design, let alone a closed back and in that price range.

150 - Meh.. bass hump, thin treble, pads not very good. Closed cups don't do it for me. Used HE-500's with a few mods much more to my taste.

Jun 29, 2019 at 11:13 PM Post #19,699 of 23,423
150 - Meh.. bass hump, thin treble, pads not very good. Closed cups don't do it for me. Used HE-500's with a few mods much more to my taste.
Have you tried them with the DT-100 velours? With the stock pads there's a big bass hump yes, but this gets fixed with the DT-100 velour pads.

A Mogami 2893 cable also improves refinement from the stock cable.

Jun 30, 2019 at 1:46 AM Post #19,701 of 23,423
It's probably a good idea to buy new pads every year at least. The difference between a 600 with old worn out pads and new pads is pretty big.

Jun 30, 2019 at 6:56 AM Post #19,702 of 23,423
It's probably a good idea to buy new pads every year at least. The difference between a 600 with old worn out pads and new pads is pretty big.

Lots of people make that point re: 600's.

Just heard the 150's stock. But I can believe it's a good enough can that mods can make it better.

Jun 30, 2019 at 10:57 AM Post #19,703 of 23,423
Whenever I have a period of using headphones I gravitate to HD600. I'm yet to hear a can with more extended bass response that also has its wonderful timbre, and when natural timbre goes I'm not interested, I think the emotional connection to the music just dies without it being satisfyingly believable. I've been around and played live music all my life, from orchestras playing violin to playing guitar in metal bands and I think the HD600 satisfies across the board. The lack of deeper bass doesn't bother me, i personally think it's more important that whatever bass is there has the right texture and timbre, I don't care for slam. With that preference I think it's a satisfying can for hard rock as well, it gets the texture of the real thing right.

I listen via Chord Mojo and Hugo currently and I'm open to upgrade if there's a can that does what the HD600 does but better. Any ideas? Whenever I read about people going back to the HD600 over HD800 (s) due to it being more neutral I read the words they choose to describe the issue and feel it would be quite likely I end up being one of them, so I've held off on trying it until a good used pair shows up nearby. I've tried a few Hifimans but they were not for me.

I've heard that the Zmf line is a great place to look for natural timbre along with better bass extension and sounstage

Jun 30, 2019 at 1:36 PM Post #19,704 of 23,423
Whenever I have a period of using headphones I gravitate to HD600. I'm yet to hear a can with more extended bass response that also has its wonderful timbre, and when natural timbre goes I'm not interested, I think the emotional connection to the music just dies without it being satisfyingly believable. I've been around and played live music all my life, from orchestras playing violin to playing guitar in metal bands and I think the HD600 satisfies across the board. The lack of deeper bass doesn't bother me, i personally think it's more important that whatever bass is there has the right texture and timbre, I don't care for slam. With that preference I think it's a satisfying can for hard rock as well, it gets the texture of the real thing right.

I listen via Chord Mojo and Hugo currently and I'm open to upgrade if there's a can that does what the HD600 does but better. Any ideas? Whenever I read about people going back to the HD600 over HD800 (s) due to it being more neutral I read the words they choose to describe the issue and feel it would be quite likely I end up being one of them, so I've held off on trying it until a good used pair shows up nearby. I've tried a few Hifimans but they were not for me.
I always go back to my HD600 for that natural timbre. I find that the next step up can be had at a premium with the ZMF Auteur. That one is also open back. The same driver in closed back is the ZMF Eikon. The Auteur is literally has a carbon copy signature of the HD600 with added separation and depth. IMHO that says a lot about the value and sound quality of the HD600.

Jun 30, 2019 at 2:02 PM Post #19,705 of 23,423
I always go back to my HD600 for that natural timbre. I find that the next step up can be had at a premium with the ZMF Auteur. That one is also open back. The same driver in closed back is the ZMF Eikon. The Auteur is literally has a carbon copy signature of the HD600 with added separation and depth. IMHO that says a lot about the value and sound quality of the HD600.

Yes, great timbre on the 600 - but I can't get past the thin sound they produce. Just not enough meat on the bones. That said my restored Fisher 400 (tubes) has helped in that regard.

Jun 30, 2019 at 2:36 PM Post #19,706 of 23,423
I frequently compare the overall FR of my Stax earspeakers to my HD600. Both my SR207 and L700 sound pretty close to HD600 to my ears.......I'm sure someone with better ears could pick out differences besides the obvious E-stat advantages that I don't need to rehash here.

Last edited:
Jun 30, 2019 at 2:49 PM Post #19,707 of 23,423

Thanks, I don't mind adding high end models to the radar should they show up used.

Jun 30, 2019 at 2:52 PM Post #19,708 of 23,423
I frequently compare the overall FR of my Stax earspeakers to my HD600. Both my SR207 and L700 sound pretty close to HD600 to my ears.......I'm sure someone with better ears could pick out differences besides the obvious E-stat advantages that I don't need to rehash here.

I've seen Stax be compared to Harbeth speakers form time to time and with my affection for my favourite (so far) P3ESR speaker I am intrigued. I'll keep an eye out for a pair of Stax's as well.

Jul 1, 2019 at 10:27 AM Post #19,710 of 23,423
Anybody tried NVX pads on these? Just curious as I have a pair of them laying around.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back