Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Jul 10, 2017 at 8:43 AM Post #18,391 of 23,417
Yes indeed, I'm lucky enough not to have the treble issue. Great in a variety of ways: it's a great-sounding headphone, it's not incredibly expensive (not quite cheap either, but you get the gist), and it's very comfortable.

I'd guess the amp section is probably similar if not the same. I always thought the difference was the added bluetooth in the AI301-DA, which, while not as full sounding as normal source (for example, optical in my case), still sounds quite good and was frankly fantastic when I was moving. I had it and the speakers running while I was packing everything else up including my computer which is what normally feeds my audio needs :D

Lucky?! Looks like most people are lucky are only minority are unlucky

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2017 at 12:47 PM Post #18,392 of 23,417
Actually, we can even think about it this way: with the current price on Amazon, you could buy TWO HD600s for the 10% tax amount on the new Hifiman flagship. Hadn't checked in a while, but the HD600 price has gone back down under $300 again. I'm continuing to rock out with mine, but I'm wanting to try out the HD700, just to see how the comfort stacks up and if perhaps it plays close enough of the style I want. Not the HD800 though, I tried that and compared to my HD600 and I ended up preferring the HD600's sound sig more.

And then of course there's the obvious possibility that even if I got and liked the HD700, I still wouldn't let go of the HD600 anyway :p

I hope that both bring lots of fun and happiness to you!

I liked HD600, was not so fiery about HD650 and loved HD800S while HD700 was really comfy but needed a tiny bit of EQ to be what I wanted it to be.

Let us know how it goes!

Jul 10, 2017 at 2:38 PM Post #18,394 of 23,417
I hope that both bring lots of fun and happiness to you!

I liked HD600, was not so fiery about HD650 and loved HD800S while HD700 was really comfy but needed a tiny bit of EQ to be what I wanted it to be.

Let us know how it goes!
If I do, it's gonna kinda far into the future lol. Money in other stuff at the moment. Like kickstarting those ORA GrapheneQ headphones. And to get some prescription sunglasses :p

Jul 10, 2017 at 11:12 PM Post #18,395 of 23,417
Jul 10, 2017 at 11:27 PM Post #18,396 of 23,417
Interesting review but that is the first I've seen anyone call the HD700 warm so at that point the review didn't seem very honest to me. Another point was the recommendation of the modi/magni for powering them, its about as bad a pairing I can think of, been there, done that.

Really! Well, anyway, people's ears are really different. Just a reference. I like his clear presentations

Jul 11, 2017 at 5:51 AM Post #18,397 of 23,417
HD600 is now selling at sgd399 in singapore. Offer probably until the end of july. I managed to got one and it sounds beautiful. However, the clamping force is too great to be ignored. Maybe because of the high impedance, a lot of imperfections in my songs are not obvious anymore. My pha-1a runs cooler by using hd600.

Jul 11, 2017 at 8:30 AM Post #18,398 of 23,417
June 21st last year was the one-year anniversary of my receiving my HD 600. Ever since, it's been a nearly unbroken period of
However, the clamping force is too great to be ignored. Maybe because of the high impedance, a lot of imperfections in my songs are not obvious anymore. My pha-1a runs cooler by using hd600.

It loosens up over time. New ones are always a bit clampy.

As for the imperfection thing, the HD 600 is not one of those headphones that shoves detail in your face, which is usually achieved by hyping the lower- and mid treble. Rather, the HD 600 relies on its balance and coherence to allow the detail to appear naturally. It was a little disorienting the first hour or so while I got used to the presentation, and it felt like things were a bit smoothed over and dull at times. Continued listening revealed that all the detail, including all the imperfections and recording artifacts, was still there; it just wasn't being spotlighted with treble like on some of my other headphones.

Jul 11, 2017 at 10:53 AM Post #18,399 of 23,417
HD600 is now selling at sgd399 in singapore. Offer probably until the end of july. I managed to got one and it sounds beautiful. However, the clamping force is too great to be ignored. Maybe because of the high impedance, a lot of imperfections in my songs are not obvious anymore. My pha-1a runs cooler by using hd600.

The clamping force will get better but after a month if they still feel too tight then you can bend the metal sliders just a little, be very careful and only hold the metal parts when bending.

If you think you are missing the details (can't hear the imperfections in songs) then it could be that your previous headphones was better in that regard, or the HD600 is not as detailed as some say they are.

Jul 11, 2017 at 8:34 PM Post #18,400 of 23,417
lol my previous headphone was m50x. I think it is not the details but the hiss within the songs. It is a good thing imo. The hard big box case that came with the hd600 is good enough? Should i get another headphone hard case? Im thinking of using it as part of my portable rig.

Jul 11, 2017 at 8:35 PM Post #18,401 of 23,417
lol my previous headphone was m50x. I think it is not the details but the hiss within the songs. It is a good thing imo. The hard big box case that came with the hd600 is good enough? Should i get another headphone hard case? Im thinking of using it as part of my portable rig.

The box case is sturdy, but not very portable at all. I would look for a smaller hard case.

Jul 11, 2017 at 9:10 PM Post #18,402 of 23,417
If you like the hiss then the HD600 is not going to give you that, but it also depends on your hearing since we all hear differently.

While the original box is sturdy, I would agree with the other poster and get a hard case if you want to carry them around.

I do know of a few that use the HD600/650 outside but these are not really designed for portable use since they are open and will leak sound out and let outside noise in, unlike your M50x which I also have and use them when I travel (I also use a V-Moda XS or MDR-7506). The other thing is I don't know how good the jacks of the HD600 will hold up to constant plugging/in-plugging if used in a portable environment.

Jul 11, 2017 at 10:11 PM Post #18,403 of 23,417
I use my M50x for travel & HD600 for home use. However I have tried the 600s outside while walking my dogs & being somewhat aware of my surroundings was actually pretty cool & a good thing for safety.

While I enjoy open back out & even in a vehicle at times I've since returned to my M50x for those situations since I felt I kind of lost what the HD600s are about. The fine details are lost plus they sound their best through my Crack+SB amp in a quite room.

If you travel around with the HD600 DEFINATLY get a travel case!! I purchased one on Amazon for about $25 & the foam insert of the hard case fits the 600s perfectly, keeping them very secure. I also don't need to remove the cable from the headphones to put them inside. I like that because I've read overtime the connectors can get damaged if pulled in/out a lot. Here is the case I personally recommend:

Geekria EJB-0034-01
Black w/Foam Insert

There are many cases out there but this is the only one I can vouch for from experience.

Hope this helps bud

Jul 13, 2017 at 6:36 PM Post #18,405 of 23,417
I use my M50x for travel & HD600 for home use. However I have tried the 600s outside while walking my dogs & being somewhat aware of my surroundings was actually pretty cool & a good thing for safety.

While I enjoy open back out & even in a vehicle at times I've since returned to my M50x for those situations since I felt I kind of lost what the HD600s are about. The fine details are lost plus they sound their best through my Crack+SB amp in a quite room.

If you travel around with the HD600 DEFINATLY get a travel case!! I purchased one on Amazon for about $25 & the foam insert of the hard case fits the 600s perfectly, keeping them very secure. I also don't need to remove the cable from the headphones to put them inside. I like that because I've read overtime the connectors can get damaged if pulled in/out a lot. Here is the case I personally recommend:

Geekria EJB-0034-01
Black w/Foam Insert

There are many cases out there but this is the only one I can vouch for from experience.

Hope this helps bud

Hi Timoteo80,

Thanks for the headsup on the Amazon travel case. Just got my first pair of HD600's from Amazon for a rediculous price.
Great headphones...

Ren

Users who are viewing this thread

Back