Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Nov 23, 2016 at 4:43 AM Post #17,011 of 23,425
i'm not sure if you're subscribed to the black friday thread or the headamp deals thread, but the he400i is available on headamp for $224 with coupon HEADFI10, international shipping included. i mentioned this in a couple threads before and i feel i have to say that i'm in no way affiliated with headamp, i just got a pair myself. since you're in the EU as well, you'll pay VAT and important taxes, but i think that's still under 300 euros. that is, if price is your only concern with these cans.

congrats on the baby! mine is almost 5 and i really don't know how time flew by so fast.

Nov 23, 2016 at 8:27 AM Post #17,012 of 23,425
  i'm not sure if you're subscribed to the black friday thread or the headamp deals thread, but the he400i is available on headamp for $224 with coupon HEADFI10, international shipping included. i mentioned this in a couple threads before and i feel i have to say that i'm in no way affiliated with headamp, i just got a pair myself. since you're in the EU as well, you'll pay VAT and important taxes, but i think that's still under 300 euros. that is, if price is your only concern with these cans.

congrats on the baby! mine is almost 5 and i really don't know how time flew by so fast.

I imagine it's not in the same league as the HD800/HD800S, but how do the HE400i (or HE400S) compare to the HD600 in terms of resolution and transparency?

Nov 23, 2016 at 8:41 AM Post #17,013 of 23,425

I imagine it's not in the same league as the HD800/HD800S, but how do the HE400i (or HE400S) compare to the HD600 in terms of resolution and transparency?

For me it depends on what other equipment you have in your audio chain and also the grenre of music that you primarily listen to.  If you have a decent OTL or hybrid amp then IMO the HD-800 or HD-600 would be my choice and your primary genre are classical, jazz and blues.  For almost anything else I would go with the HD-400i.  Note that I feel resolution and transparency don't really matter for most modern music.

Nov 23, 2016 at 9:28 AM Post #17,014 of 23,425

Thank you very much bogde.... :D
Indeed... Time flies....

I will have to check that.... Its a fantastic deal in the us and maybe its worth importing to germany but here in portugal the customs policies are tighter and tighter and i think that if they stop at the customs i would have to pay a huge amount of taxes to free them.... Have to investigate if its worth the risk....

Hifiman have warranty service by the way? Is there any european official repair center from hifiman?

Thays why usually i like to buy stuff from europena amazons.... Best customer policy ever.

Nov 23, 2016 at 12:10 PM Post #17,016 of 23,425
Got my O2 amp today for the HD600s I run straight out of the mobo on the comp and got exactly the effect I was hoping for. Recap: The mobo is pretty good for a mobo incl. in terms of sound, fairly well protected circuits, 'support for up to 250 ohm' cans etc, but I was lacking a bit power when listening to older recordings (that usually lie around 89dB), and I suspected I could get a bit more out of the bass than I got, just as a gut feeling. And I did, the bass got a bit fuller and I would even say noticeably tighter at lower frequencies, I think the power of the mobo struggled here. Really happy with the little thing, not to mention that I can now crank up the volume on some 70's rock and not compromise at all while doing so!

Nov 23, 2016 at 12:16 PM Post #17,017 of 23,425
  Got my O2 amp today for the HD600s I run straight out of the mobo on the comp and got exactly the effect I was hoping for. Recap: The mobo is pretty good for a mobo incl. in terms of sound, fairly well protected circuits, 'support for up to 250 ohm' cans etc, but I was lacking a bit power when listening to older recordings (that usually lie around 89dB), and I suspected I could get a bit more out of the bass than I got, just as a gut feeling. And I did, the bass got a bit fuller and I would even say noticeably tighter at lower frequencies, I think the power of the mobo struggled here. Really happy with the little thing, not to mention that I can now crank up the volume on some 70's rock and not compromise at all while doing so!

It tends to be what happens with modern mobo audio. It's fine for low-impedance stuff and even some higher-impedance depending on the music, but it's still gonna feel a bit underpowered.

Nov 23, 2016 at 7:02 PM Post #17,018 of 23,425
I have a question what exactly makes Beats a better headphone for this song as opposed to the HD 600?

According to Dr Dre, music like this is designed for Beats so what does beats have that HD 600 does not?

Nov 23, 2016 at 8:05 PM Post #17,020 of 23,425
  I have a question what exactly makes Beats a better headphone for this song as opposed to the HD 600?

According to Dr Dre, music like this is designed for Beats so what does beats have that HD 600 does not?

It's called "marketing". Dre started the brand with a fellow artist and because star-power names are tied to the brand, it's worth more money. It doesn't mean better sound quality at all. Beats are continually the butt end of audiophile jokes, but often with uninformed opinions. They aren't bad, they just aren't worth the amount of money commanded. Studios for example cost $200. They are about $70 of sound quality to me. They also have pronounced low-end which is "better" for that kind of music because today's unfortunate style of hip-hop and rap require "pumping up the bass".

As far as I'm concerned, Beats have yet to be much better than the SHP9500 (which I like to peg at worth $100 if not on sale), let alone the HD600. HD600 also looks much sexier and is more comfortable than any Beats headphone and can be had for less than $250 as well.

Nov 23, 2016 at 8:36 PM Post #17,021 of 23,425
  It's called "marketing". Dre started the brand with a fellow artist and because star-power names are tied to the brand, it's worth more money. It doesn't mean better sound quality at all. Beats are continually the butt end of audiophile jokes, but often with uninformed opinions. They aren't bad, they just aren't worth the amount of money commanded. Studios for example cost $200. They are about $70 of sound quality to me. They also have pronounced low-end which is "better" for that kind of music because today's unfortunate style of hip-hop and rap require "pumping up the bass".

As far as I'm concerned, Beats have yet to be much better than the SHP9500 (which I like to peg at worth $100 if not on sale), let alone the HD600. HD600 also looks much sexier and is more comfortable than any Beats headphone and can be had for less than $250 as well.

Yesterday, I saw a homeless woman sitting on the floor in the Port Authority bus station in NYC, she was wearing an expensive pair of Beats. Not only does she have bad priorities, she has bad taste in headphones.

Nov 23, 2016 at 8:39 PM Post #17,022 of 23,425

Yesterday, I saw a homeless woman sitting on the floor in the Port Authority bus station in NYC, she was wearing an expensive pair of Beats. Not only does she have bad priorities, she has bad taste in headphones.

Beats are the "Bose" of HPs

Nov 23, 2016 at 8:45 PM Post #17,023 of 23,425

Beats are the "Bose" of HPs

Bose QC35's actually sound OK. Tyll at Inner Fidelity says that he's gonna hang them on his wall of fame. I picked up a pair for use while on a noisy commuter bus. The ANC is stellar and unlike other Bose cans I've listened to they sound good. The mids are not MIA, the treble is not over emphasized in a weird way and the bass is a little emphasized but has good extension into sub bass and is not saddled with 2nd harmonic distortion. Someone over there slipped up and improved the SQ. Their new QC30 ANC IEMs suck.

Nov 23, 2016 at 8:48 PM Post #17,024 of 23,425

Bose QC35's actually sound OK. Tyll at Inner Fidelity says that he's gonna hang them on his wall of fame. I picked up a pair for use while on a noisy commuter bus. The ANC is stellar and unlike other Bose cans I've listened to they sound good. The mids are not MIA, the treble is not over emphasized in a weird way and the bass is a little emphasized but has good extension into sub bass and is not saddled with 2nd harmonic distortion. Someone over there slipped up and improved the SQ. Their new QC30 ANC IEMs suck.

What I was trying to convey was more that what Bose is to loudspeakers, Beats is to HPs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back