Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Oct 8, 2016 at 11:28 AM Post #16,321 of 23,423
My HD600s will be delivered today and if they are hard to drive it won't be an issue for me as I will be using my vintage HK330A and vintage Pioneer SX-1250.  Power to spare.

Oct 8, 2016 at 12:07 PM Post #16,323 of 23,423

Here we go again...

Just trying to offer some help guys. I'm pretty sure StanD isn't trying to start an angry argument...

Nope, just trying to provide useful information to balance the conversation. I don't get angry with those that have different opinions even if I feel it's unfounded and I would hope everyone plays the same.

Oct 8, 2016 at 3:20 PM Post #16,324 of 23,423
I wonder if the Q1 would do just as good a job with the HD650's?

People have mentioned that the 650 is more finicky with amping, and the bass can sound kind of flabby and muddy if they're not sufficiently amped.

That can happen if you for instance use an integrated amplifier where they put the headphone circuit with a high impedance, many have typically 120-150 ohm. I had this with my marantz pm7200, you can hear how the bass gets very loose, it was even worse on the hd598. But it also depends on other things, for instance I used my dt880 250 ohm on the same amp and it sounded very nice, I'm not sure exactly why, though I'm sure it has to do with the frequency response of the headphone.

Oct 8, 2016 at 3:38 PM Post #16,325 of 23,423

That can happen if you for instance use an integrated amplifier where they put the headphone circuit with a high impedance, many have typically 120-150 ohm. I had this with my marantz pm7200, you can hear how the bass gets very loose, it was even worse on the hd598. But it also depends on other things, for instance I used my dt880 250 ohm on the same amp and it sounded very nice, I'm not sure exactly why, though I'm sure it has to do with the frequency response of the headphone.

The bass response or deviations of FR has to do with the impedance vs. frequency curve for a headphone. To avoid the series resistor one can attach to the speaker terminals and use an LPAD (resistors or potentiometer style control) to control the impedance and limit the loudness.

Oct 8, 2016 at 3:44 PM Post #16,326 of 23,423
  The bass response or deviations of FR has to do with the impedance vs. frequency curve for a headphone. To avoid the series resistor one can attach to the speaker terminals and use an LPAD (resistors or potentiometer style control) to control the impedance and limit the loudness.

Thanks, I was hoping you would respond :). I read on kent rockwell's site that he wrote the load of the dt880 is resistive and that makes them easy to drive, i don't know what he means by that, but I think it also has to do with why it isn't affected by the amp's impedance as much, is that right?

Oct 8, 2016 at 3:54 PM Post #16,327 of 23,423

Thanks, I was hoping you would respond :). I read on kent rockwell's site that he wrote the load of the dt880 is resistive and that makes them easy to drive, i don't know what he means by that, but I think it also has to do with why it isn't affected by the amp's impedance as much, is that right?

Planars/Orthos are resistive, but many dynamics have a reasonable flat impedance curve. You can see below that the 32 Ohm version of the DT 880 has a pretty flat curve. I gave a quick look and didn't find a curve for 250 Ohm version.
Easy to drive depends on impedance and sensitivity, generally high impedance headphones can be a challenge due to a required higher voltage swing. A wild impedance curve usually comes into play when an Amp has a high output impedance.

Oct 8, 2016 at 6:26 PM Post #16,328 of 23,423
I wonder if the Q1 would do just as good a job with the HD650's?

People have mentioned that the 650 is more finicky with amping, and the bass can sound kind of flabby and muddy if they're not sufficiently amped.

I've used my HD650 with my Q1 many times and it works very well, even in Low Gain for most recordings and my normal listening levels.

Oct 8, 2016 at 7:05 PM Post #16,329 of 23,423
I've used my HD650 with my Q1 many times and it works very well, even in Low Gain for most recordings and my normal listening levels.

Thanks for the input.

I'm deciding b/w the HD600 and HD650.

I have 2 issues that are factoring into my decision:
•I have a bit of sound sensitivity and I tend to listen at lower-to-moderate volumes (this issue is making me lean towards the 600, as the 600 supposedly starts to "engage" the listener at a lower volume than the 650).
•I have a sensitivity to higher frequencies (this issue is making me lean towards choosing the 650, as the treble is a bit more rolled-off and they're a bit easier on the ears than the 600's)

Still not sure which one is best for me...

Oct 8, 2016 at 7:12 PM Post #16,330 of 23,423
Thanks for the input.

•I have a bit of sound sensitivity and I tend to listen at lower-to-moderate volumes (this issue is making me lean towards the 600, as the 600 supposedly starts to "engage" the listener at a lower volume than the 650).
•I have a sensitivity to higher frequencies (this issue is making me lean towards choosing the 650, as the treble is a bit more rolled-off and they're a bit easier on the ears than the 600's)

I've always found the HD600's treble supremely non-fatiguing. And I'm sensitive to that kind of thing.

Oct 8, 2016 at 7:24 PM Post #16,331 of 23,423
Not to turn this into a Q1 appreciation thread, but I find it's a miraculous little device. Undetectable noise floor even at full blast and when listening through sensitive headphones, battery life that with my usage pattern seems to be measured in days rather than hours, enough output to power any headphone in my (admittedly modest) collection, and, since it's a DAC + amp combo, a simple micro USB cable* is all that's needed to plug it into a wide variety of sources.

This is one of those kinds of devices I think every aspiring personal audio fan should have (if not the Q1 specifically, then something comparable), as it's a nice quick solution to getting good output and quality audio without having to worry about whether or not what you're plugging it into can manage this on its own. It's also relatively inexpensive and should give a pretty good idea what a given headphone is capable of, so it would work well as a starter amp for somebody who isn't quite sure how far they want to delve into personal audio and just wants to try out a particular headphone without spending a ton of extra money. Even if they later upgrade their setup, I can still see something like this being useful for all the previously stated reasons.

*USB C presents a bit more of a challenge, as it requires an adapter on one end of the cable, and if you're using it with a phone, you'll need one that supports OTG--these aren't very common as of yet, but they do exist. And, obviously, if you're plugging it into something with full-sized USB A ports, you'll need a micro USB to USB A cable rather than one with micro USB terminations on both ends.

Oct 8, 2016 at 7:28 PM Post #16,332 of 23,423
Quote:
Thanks for the input.

Unless you are a femalevocal-head, I would say go for the HD650.
It's just a tad roomier and more resolving. A slightly less intrusive presentation overall. Both are similarly warm and forgiving anyway.

Oct 8, 2016 at 7:30 PM Post #16,333 of 23,423
I've always found the HD600's treble supremely non-fatiguing. And I'm sensitive to that kind of thing.

Have to agree, the treble on the 600 didn't cause me any concern at all, and I listen to my music rather loud.

Oct 8, 2016 at 7:35 PM Post #16,334 of 23,423
  A wild impedance curve usually comes into play when an Amp has a high output impedance.

Would you say that high amplifier output impedance is anything above 5ohm, or does it still depend on other topology factors? I ask as I owned an SPL Auditor which I thought was between 9 and 11ohms and it seemed to handle a variety of headphone impedances equally well (going by ear of course as opposed to actual measurement).

Oct 8, 2016 at 7:37 PM Post #16,335 of 23,423
  Would you say that high amplifier output impedance is anything above 5ohm, or does it still depend on other topology factors? I ask as I owned an SPL Auditor which I thought was between 9 and 11ohms and it seemed to handle a variety of headphone impedances equally well (going by ear of course as opposed to actual measurement).

High or low depends on the headphones used.

11 Ohm is very low for a 300 Ohm Sennheiser, but high for 15 Ohm IEMs

Users who are viewing this thread

Back