Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Aug 31, 2016 at 3:01 AM Post #15,856 of 23,423
My experiences show HD600 has really wide soundstage actually. But it is the first open headphone I've ever tried so maybe that's why.

Aug 31, 2016 at 8:17 AM Post #15,858 of 23,423
  @Sonic Defender, i think you will find the HD-800S to have more bass than the HD-600. I wouldn't call the Ether C bass lite, it has the chops when called for, kinda like the difference between HD-600 and HD-650 in the bass department if going from Ether C to HD-800S.

Nice, it should arrive today so I may be able to test this out. Then I need to make some decisions about what goes and what stays. Having had to leave work to stay home with my daughter has forced me to not keep everything. Unless the 800S is a flop for me the HD600 will move and perhaps two more headphones. I'm also toying with the idea of selling my new KEF R300s. Due to ongoing squabbles with the ex about how my stereo dominated the living room I took them down a month ago and can't foresee when I will get to use them again.

I think the comments about the Ether C being bass-lite that I have read from reviewers was from the standpoint that they were closed so people expect that cabinet effect. I could have sworn some even said the Ether open had as much if not more bass? Good to know that you don't hear them that way. I look forward to one day owning an Ether flow design, they sound appealing if a little expensive.

Sep 1, 2016 at 5:49 AM Post #15,859 of 23,423
Are there any people here driving the 600 with the iFi iDSD Micro?
How do they pair?
I am waiting my pair to arrive next week and my DAC/amp (for now) is the Micro!
I hope in some time soon I will get a better/heftier desktop DAC/amp and keep the Micro for transportable use!
Thnx!

Sep 1, 2016 at 8:32 AM Post #15,860 of 23,423
Are there any people here driving the 600 with the iFi iDSD Micro?
How do they pair?
I am waiting my pair to arrive next week and my DAC/amp (for now) is the Micro!
I hope in some time soon I will get a better/heftier desktop DAC/amp and keep the Micro for transportable use!
Thnx!

I did for a little bit (sold my Micro) and it was a good pairing I thought. In case you are wondering I only sold the Micro as I wasn't using it enough, but I loved the Micro. Hard to believe such good sound in such a little package. Yes, in the ideal world I would have kept the Micro.

Sep 1, 2016 at 1:14 PM Post #15,862 of 23,423
So few reviews on the hd600 + Fiio X5 pairing, esp. since these are two of the most popular products on head fi. 

If anyone can link to a review I would appreciate it. Still lovin' my koss headphones and looking for evidence to sway me to the sennheiser side. 

Sep 1, 2016 at 1:23 PM Post #15,864 of 23,423
  OK, I'm a huge fan of the HD650 but out of sheer curiosity I ordered an HD600. What can I expect? (Or maybe someone could direct me to a good post here on this comparison.) Thank you.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/268216/hd-600-vs-hd-650

Sep 1, 2016 at 1:23 PM Post #15,865 of 23,423
  OK, I'm a huge fan of the HD650 but out of sheer curiosity I ordered an HD600. What can I expect? (Or maybe someone could direct me to a good post here on this comparison.) Thank you.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/740942/comparison-review-part-deux-a-tale-of-two-sennheisers-hd600-vs-hd650

Sep 1, 2016 at 8:17 PM Post #15,867 of 23,423
So few reviews on the hd600 + Fiio X5 pairing, esp. since these are two of the most popular products on head fi. 

If anyone can link to a review I would appreciate it. Still lovin' my koss headphones and looking for evidence to sway me to the sennheiser side. 

My review has a littler blurb about it.

http://www.head-fi.org/products/fiio-x5-high-res-portable-music-player/reviews/13739
When coupling this DAP with something larger, like the Sennheiser HD600, it holds up admirably. Setting the volume at 100/120 on High Gain, I reach a sufficient blast to meet the fundamental requirements of Metallica, the Black Album. These 300 Ohm headphones do not reach the same fidelity on the X5 as they do on my desktop amp. Then again, the Maverick Audio TubeMagic D1 Plus with the OPA627 upgrade is a hellcat. Nonetheless, fed by the X5, it sounds more or less badass.

I don’t own a portable amp to which to chain my DAPs. Something like the E12 or the C5 is the antithesis of what I want from a portable unit. As I only take IEMs on the go, this is not a problem. But should I ever want to go mobile with a king-hell headset, the X5 will serve splendidly in a pinch.

The X5 is fairly powerful, but not really suited for 300 Ohm headphones. I like the Momentum 2.0 better for DAP use, and the HD600 for desktop use, powered by a much beefier amp.

Sep 2, 2016 at 12:04 AM Post #15,868 of 23,423
I guess it's significant that Sennheiser continues to produce the HD600 long after its successor, the HD650, was introduced. There must be continued demand for it, so there must be a good reason for that, because keeping an older version of something around (for more than a decade!) is unusual I would think. People must genuinely like it a lot, and not just because it's a little cheaper.
I bet they didn't plan it this way.

Sep 2, 2016 at 12:32 AM Post #15,869 of 23,423
  I guess it's significant that Sennheiser continues to produce the HD600 long after its successor, the HD650, was introduced. There must be continued demand for it, so there must be a good reason for that, because keeping an older version of something around (for more than a decade!) is unusual I would think. People must genuinely like it a lot, and not just because it's a little cheaper.
I bet they didn't plan it this way.

There is. There are some differences, how big depends on the person and become more obvious the better the gear is but even then I don't necessarily prefer one over the other. I'm getting a HD 600 soon because it better suits my current headphone stable. They do have very similar tonality though. I've always found the HD 600 more mid-forward, intimate, a tad dryer, and a slightly slower(shows the most in the bass). I always found the HD 650 to have a tad more presence in the upper treble(I always found the HD 650 to have a little more bite in the upper treble than the HD 600) while the HD 600 has more in the lower treble(presence region which brings things closer and makes things more intimate. I also find the HD 650 a bit sweeter and more seductive sounding while the HD 600 can sound more epic on certain tracks so to speak.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back