Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Jul 26, 2016 at 8:36 AM Post #15,421 of 23,423

Repeat the name @ProtegeManiac a few times and according to the legend he will appear and solve your HD6x0 comfort issues.

"Who summoned me?"
-Kyoshiro
("Anime" fans will have a laugh at that)

I love the sound of my HD 600's, but I'm getting annoyed by the literal skullpains I am getting while wearing them for longer periods.
Had anyone modded their HD 600's to get rid of this issue, more padding for instance? Such a shame I cannot wear them comfortably for an entire evening.

Is the pressure stronger on the flanks than the center of the headband? You have to reduce the clamp force. Stretch out the metal frame and bend it outwards at the center, holding for 10secs, then repeat for the other side. Then repeat this closer to the gimbals.

If you have any old pair of earpads, gut them and mount a pair of HM5 angled earpads on the plastic mounting sections. Those are a lot thicker, so in addition to the frame bending, these puts a bit more distance between your skull and the headphone from the earcups to the flanks of the headband top/center section.

Jul 26, 2016 at 8:38 AM Post #15,422 of 23,423
I love the sound of my HD 600's, but I'm getting annoyed by the literal skullpains I am getting while wearing them for longer periods.
Had anyone modded their HD 600's to get rid of this issue, more padding for instance? Such a shame I cannot wear them comfortably for an entire evening.

Extend the ear cups all the way down. GENTLY bend ONLY the metal part outward. If you put pressure on the plastic headband it will break. But the metal sliders are thin and easy to bend. Readjust the ear cups to the right height for you, and enjoy.

Jul 26, 2016 at 9:14 AM Post #15,423 of 23,423
  Is the pressure stronger on the flanks than the center of the headband? You have to reduce the clamp force. Stretch out the metal frame and bend it outwards at the center, holding for 10secs, then repeat for the other side. Then repeat this closer to the gimbals.

If you have any old pair of earpads, gut them and mount a pair of HM5 angled earpads on the plastic mounting sections. Those are a lot thicker, so in addition to the frame bending, these puts a bit more distance between your skull and the headphone from the earcups to the flanks of the headband top/center section.

I feel the pressure at the top of my head, like the weight of the HD's is constantly pressing down. Personally I always thought it was the weight of the headset, but now that I think about it..clamp force can feel the same as weight as it travels through your skull.. I'll try your tip about becoming a HD600-bender
biggrin.gif

And thanks @PinkyPowers as well, much appreciated. I'll let you guys know how it went later this week. If you don't hear anything, I've ruined my HD's and I am silently cursing 
wink_face.gif

Jul 26, 2016 at 9:52 AM Post #15,424 of 23,423
  I feel the pressure at the top of my head, like the weight of the HD's is constantly pressing down. Personally I always thought it was the weight of the headset, but now that I think about it..clamp force can feel the same as weight as it travels through your skull.. I'll try your tip about becoming a HD600-bender
biggrin.gif

And thanks @PinkyPowers as well, much appreciated. I'll let you guys know how it went later this week. If you don't hear anything, I've ruined my HD's and I am silently cursing 
wink_face.gif

For reference, here's how wide-set my HD600's are vs the default shape as marked by where it goes into the presentation box it ships in. You can bend it back to the old shape, just do not bend the plastic, only the metal arms.

Jul 26, 2016 at 2:40 PM Post #15,425 of 23,423
biggrin.gif

wink_face.gif

After the first week I had that problem as well. I was taken aback because for the first week I didn't have any problem whatsoever; it's like it caught up with me and suddenly reared its head. It was so bad I thought I might have to give up on the headphone. I didn't say anything initially because I figured I'd give it some time to work through. I also tried some of the suggestions I read in this thread and elsewhere. Here's what I did (in no particular order):

1) I tried the bending the metal parts--making the headphone looser seemed to make the pain on the top of my head worse, but bending them back again made the clamp on the sides worse; I ultimately stuck with a looser clamp

2) I played with the adjustment sliders, ending up with them slightly more extended than I had when I'd started--I discovered there were three problem areas: the top of my head, the side of my head just above my ears, and the soft spot just beneath and behind my ears; no combination of adjustments stopped the headphone from placing pressure on at least one of these; ultimately, with a looser clamp I chose the last one in the list because it seemed to hurt the least and didn't give me splitting headaches like the other two

3) I installed an HD 650 headband pad--unlike the HD 600 one, which has four padded bumps, the HD 650 one has two larger padded sections with a strategically-placed cutout in the middle, right where the top of the skull would otherwise come in contact with the pad

4) I placed the HD 600 on a stack of books for a day to expand it slightly more than it would be when worn normally

5) I got my rather thick mop of hair cut very short, making my head slightly smaller--you may laugh at this suggestion, but I've noticed a difference getting headphones to fit before when I did this

6) I willed myself to wear the headphone, pain be damned, to see if it would work itself in or if I would eventually just get used to it

Some combination of these six worked. I spent a little over a week with the pain, but afterward it seemed to become gradually less and less, to the point that I no longer have a problem. I suspect that nos' 1-3 and 6 played the biggest role, but I can't say definitively. Hopefully something in this pile of suggestions is useful.

Jul 26, 2016 at 10:53 PM Post #15,426 of 23,423
" 6) I willed myself to wear the headphone, pain be damned, to see if it would work itself in or if I would eventually just get used to it"

OMG. I love my HD600's and they were comfortable from the start for me, but would never put up with #6. Maybe they're not made for your head. Do you have other headphones that fit better?

Jul 26, 2016 at 11:26 PM Post #15,427 of 23,423
" 6) I willed myself to wear the headphone, pain be damned, to see if it would work itself in or if I would eventually just get used to it"

OMG. I love my HD600's and they were comfortable from the start for me, but would never put up with #6. Maybe they're not made for your head. Do you have other headphones that fit better?

No need. Whatever the issue was, it worked itself out. I can wear my HD 600 for hours on end now without even a trace of pain.

The thing is, that was true for the entire first week as well. The first day I probably had it on for at least eight hours, broken roughly into a three and a five hour session. Thereafter I clocked at least two hours solid every day until I first noticed the pain about a week later. I don't know what changed at that point; it might have been something unrelated (maybe migraines or something) that wearing the headphone during that period exacerbated, but whatever it was, it's no longer a problem.

Jul 27, 2016 at 3:41 PM Post #15,433 of 23,423

For reference, here's how wide-set my HD600's are vs the default shape as marked by where it goes into the presentation box it ships in. You can bend it back to the old shape, just do not bend the plastic, only the metal arms.

That's some serious bending indeed! I have been bending the metal parts for a bit and a bit more after I got confident I wasn't going to break anything: already feels a lot more comfortable, looking good so far. Just have to get used to the loose fit now, but I am very glad such a simple thing can make a lot of difference. Thanks!
gs1000.gif

Jul 27, 2016 at 3:51 PM Post #15,434 of 23,423
I like to think of Sennheiser HD600/650 like a nicer pair of dress shoes. They are slightly uncomfortable at first, but they slowly break in and mold to your head. A couple weeks is usually all I've needed to not notice little hot spots anymore.

Jul 27, 2016 at 6:38 PM Post #15,435 of 23,423
  I like to think of Sennheiser HD600/650 like a nicer pair of dress shoes. They are slightly uncomfortable at first, but they slowly break in and mold to your head. A couple weeks is usually all I've needed to not notice little hot spots anymore.

That more or less seems to be my experience. They still clamp a little more than something like my DT880, but it's not an unpleasant feeling, and they do a good job staying secure on the head. Which is a good thing because, however well built and solid they may be, they're still plastic, and I'd rather they not tumble off my head and onto the floor if I get particularly caught up in the music or something. The clamp will hopefully stop that happening.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back