Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Jul 24, 2016 at 9:56 AM Post #15,406 of 23,423
there are a few headphones I prefer while still not too far off in general signature, but every single time I get stopped by price/power needed/weight/comfort. the HE6 or LCD2 are great examples of what I personally feel as being better sound(in fact I really loved both), but they also check all the boxes I just mentioned. the worst for me at this point being double the weight compared to senn. I can't imagine spending much time with a headphone if it's half a kilo.

Jul 24, 2016 at 10:20 AM Post #15,407 of 23,423
IQuote:

Found the chart headroom is down but I had it saved. The little bump from 7-9khz is amazing for detail, it isn't overdone like the beyers or HD 800, just perfect IMO.

Hey, this is nice. But based in my early impressions of the HD600, driven by my mixer, I don't want anything brighter than it at all. But it is so close that I will consider them in case I decide to biump the budget in my search for the perfect substitute to my speakers. 

Jul 24, 2016 at 11:02 AM Post #15,409 of 23,423
  Hey, this is nice. But based in my early impressions of the HD600, driven by my mixer, I don't want anything brighter than it at all. But it is so close that I will consider them in case I decide to biump the budget in my search for the perfect substitute to my speakers. 

You should look at the Audio Technica R70x if you haven't already. It's generally considered to sit in between the hd600 and hd650, with a bit more bass and a bit less treble than the 600. They are also extremely light and comfortable.

Jul 24, 2016 at 11:15 AM Post #15,410 of 23,423
For under $200 the Audio Engine Di is something you should consider.

I considered the D1 but it seems that most people consider the modi 2 uber an upgrade, for basically the same price. I have serious doubts about the impact of the DAC in the audio chain. I just dont see how they can be too different in terms of Sound quality. I do understand they could have different sound signatures, and that can make some appeal more to others, but actual quality in terms of FR flatness or resolution, i don't know. 

You should look at the Audio Technica R70x if you haven't already. It's generally considered to sit in between the hd600 and hd650, with a bit more bass and a bit less treble than the 600. They are also extremely light and comfortable.

I'll have them in mind. Thank you.

Jul 24, 2016 at 2:28 PM Post #15,411 of 23,423

That's where I am right now. Except that I don't honestly think, for my purposes, a superior headphone has yet been made. A true upgrade over the HD 600 for me would need to have:

1) The same exact tonal balance, including the notch at ~5 kHz (which controls sibilance and harshness) and the slight push in the upper mids--that's where the vocal magic happens
2) Better bass extension, since no matter how one tries to sugar coat it, the roll off is noticeable
3) Less bass distortion--the lowest notes on the HD 600 have obvious additional harmonic content, which, while "pleasant" sounding, makes the bass sound less precise

Even then, it would have to be offered for a reasonable price. I'm not paying four figures for it, not when the HD 600 itself cost me ~$280, and would be a fabulous buy even at the MSRP of $400. Because of the HD 600, I have zero interest in unreasonably priced flagships and ridiculous statement products that cost more than most cars and some houses.

Lately I've been concentrating on IEMs, since having a FiiO Q1 now gives me the ability to use the HD 600 (trans)portably, making closed back full sized headphones obsolete for me. Anywhere I need isolation, I would rather not have to lug a big headphone around, anyway, and anywhere I don't need isolation I can now just use my best headphone. Recently I've sampled the Etymotic MC5 (meh) and the Dunu Titan 1/FiiO EX1 (pretty impressive), but so far I haven't found anything that conjures the same magic as the HD 600. Is there a reasonably-priced (< $200) IEM that can get at least into the same zip code? Specifically, something that offers soaring vocals without that tinge of lower treble harshness a lot of IEMs seem to have.

Well I did mean better-sounding setup in terms of other parts of a chain that pairs better with the HD600 rather than the headphones themselves. I haven't heard something with the exact sort of sound signature the HD600 has either (haven't heard the LCD2F like @PinkyPowers has suggested though), but many really seem to like a Schiit DAC paired with some sort of tube amp for the HD600. I'm simple; a Topping D20 and the sApII Pro have been feeding my HD600s for a while now and I'm entirely happy with it. Beautiful sound. I've got the TH-X00 for the more heavy-hitting stuff when I want a different sound signature, but the HD600 is definitely my kind of long-term no-fatigue musical headphone. I have an HE560 right now as well and it's the headphone that most closely resembles the HD600 of the ones that I've listened to, but there's a little more treble and the bass is definitely extended without increasing in quantity. I'm really thinking of selling it off since I switch most often between the HD600 and TH-X00.

Jul 24, 2016 at 2:41 PM Post #15,412 of 23,423

Quote:
  Well I did mean better-sounding setup in terms of other parts of a chain that pairs better with the HD600 rather than the headphones themselves. I haven't heard something with the exact sort of sound signature the HD600 has either (haven't heard the LCD2F like @PinkyPowers has suggested though), but many really seem to like a Schiit DAC paired with some sort of tube amp for the HD600. I'm simple; a Topping D20 and the sApII Pro have been feeding my HD600s for a while now and I'm entirely happy with it. Beautiful sound. I've got the TH-X00 for the more heavy-hitting stuff when I want a different sound signature, but the HD600 is definitely my kind of long-term no-fatigue musical headphone. I have an HE560 right now as well and it's the headphone that most closely resembles the HD600 of the ones that I've listened to, but there's a little more treble and the bass is definitely extended without increasing in quantity. I'm really thinking of selling it off since I switch most often between the HD600 and TH-X00.

I sold my HD-600 to a friend who really wanted it and was thinking of getting another down the line when the prices drop again like during Black Friday but ever since I built this:

GS style teak cups with Ypsilon drivers

Its like it takes the best parts of the HD-600/650, TH-600, HE-560 and RS2e and combines them into one, easy to drive and with the G pads quite comfortable.

Jul 24, 2016 at 2:46 PM Post #15,413 of 23,423
  I sold my HD-600 to a friend who really wanted it and was thinking of getting another down the line when the prices drop again like during Black Friday but ever since I built this:

Its like it takes the best parts of the HD-600/650, TH-600, HE-560 and RS2e and combines them into one, easy to drive and with the G pads quite comfortable.

We're talking Grado's G-pads right? I've never really liked any of the pads used on Grados, even the ones that are around the ear and not just on-ear. Not sure if it's the shape or just the material or maybe a combination. Glad to hear you've got something to keep the HD600s spot warm until you get one on sale again
wink.gif

Jul 25, 2016 at 7:34 AM Post #15,414 of 23,423

Quote:
  We're talking Grado's G-pads right? I've never really liked any of the pads used on Grados, even the ones that are around the ear and not just on-ear. Not sure if it's the shape or just the material or maybe a combination. Glad to hear you've got something to keep the HD600s spot warm until you get one on sale again
wink.gif

G pads, and some can never get used to the pads of any Grado, for me it just took a while to get used to either the L or G, can't stand the S which many say is the most comfortable due to way it changes the sound too much IMO.  Picture of headphone, sorry not the best since taken with phone:

I actually like it a lot more than the HD-600/650 since I can also use a DAP like my X3ii or X3 and it will sound as good as from my desktop rig while the HD-600/650 really don't do so well on either DAP.  Another advantage is since I used the headband from a MDR-7506 it will fold up, I can detach the cables and the ear pad are so easy to remove it can fit is a really small case for travel.  Only real negative is there is no sound isolation and anyone around can hear it.

Jul 25, 2016 at 10:59 AM Post #15,415 of 23,423
Jul 25, 2016 at 2:10 PM Post #15,416 of 23,423

Well, crap. I have zero experience with Grado or modded derivatives.......but now you have me wanting to build a pair like that. I certainly don't NEED to, I just want to.....

Thanks again, David :p

Jul 25, 2016 at 8:44 PM Post #15,418 of 23,423
  Well, crap. I have zero experience with Grado or modded derivatives.......but now you have me wanting to build a pair like that. I certainly don't NEED to, I just want to.....

Thanks again, David :p

You are very welcome and if you need to know where to source all the parts let me know, by the way, it will cost almost as much as a new HD-600 to build, around $300 depending on what wood cups you use, could get by as cheap as $180.

Jul 26, 2016 at 5:13 AM Post #15,419 of 23,423
I love the sound of my HD 600's, but I'm getting annoyed by the literal skullpains I am getting while wearing them for longer periods.
Had anyone modded their HD 600's to get rid of this issue, more padding for instance? Such a shame I cannot wear them comfortably for an entire evening.

Jul 26, 2016 at 6:50 AM Post #15,420 of 23,423
  I love the sound of my HD 600's, but I'm getting annoyed by the literal skullpains I am getting while wearing them for longer periods.
Had anyone modded their HD 600's to get rid of this issue, more padding for instance? Such a shame I cannot wear them comfortably for an entire evening.

Repeat the name @ProtegeManiac a few times and according to the legend he will appear and solve your HD6x0 comfort issues.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back