Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Jun 13, 2016 at 1:24 PM Post #14,941 of 23,423
. I imagine the regular, non-angled, all-velour HM5 pads won't alter the sound noticeably though.

I have them on my vintage HD580s (w/HD600 grills) and haven't found the SQ significantly altered at all. 
biggrin.gif

Jun 13, 2016 at 1:29 PM Post #14,942 of 23,423
  Does all this mean a typical HD600 only has a few years lifespan, or are those guys the unlucky ones? I would've thought after 20 years that Sennheiser would have ironed out any Q.C. issues involving the HD600 by now. Not a cheap headphone the HD600, so i'm hoping mine doesn't develop any faults any time soon after reading all this. Has anyone here had an HD600 last more than 7 years without missing a beat? Would be interesting to find out.

Can't comment directly on the HD600s as mine are only 7 months old.   But I find the build quality exactly the same as my 23+ year old HD580s which should convey something!
wink.gif

Jun 13, 2016 at 1:56 PM Post #14,943 of 23,423
  Does all this mean a typical HD600 only has a few years lifespan, or are those guys the unlucky ones? I would've thought after 20 years that Sennheiser would have ironed out any Q.C. issues involving the HD600 by now. Not a cheap headphone the HD600, so i'm hoping mine doesn't develop any faults any time soon after reading all this. Has anyone here had an HD600 last more than 7 years without missing a beat? Would be interesting to find out.

I think the indication here is that only 2 people have problems out of the many that were bought over the pass 20 years say that they last a fairly long time with little issues.  The used one that I picked up was about 4 years old and in great condition, only had to change the pads.

Jun 13, 2016 at 2:28 PM Post #14,944 of 23,423

I have used my original pair for more than 10 years without issues. Only had to replace the pads... and drivers (due to my own fault, though).

Jun 13, 2016 at 5:10 PM Post #14,945 of 23,423

The only issue I had was with a second hand pair I got as part of a trade. One of the driver diaphragms was creased (the pair had not been looked after).  I cleaned up the housings, replaced the pads, and put two new drivers into the capsules. Now they're as good as new.  And THAT is the beauty of the HD600.  Fully modular. Huge longevity.  And you can repair them yourself (just snap in a new part).

Jun 14, 2016 at 12:21 AM Post #14,946 of 23,423
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooko /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The only issue I had was with a second hand pair I got as part of a trade. One of the driver diaphragms was creased (the pair had not been looked after).  I cleaned up the housings, replaced the pads, and put two new drivers into the capsules. Now they're as good as new.  And THAT is the beauty of the HD600.  Fully modular. Huge longevity.  And you can repair them yourself (just snap in a new part).

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtopiaB /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The only persistent QC issues are the paint on the headband and, if you remove cables too often and jam them back with less care, they're not that much more reliable than the HD580. Basically just be careful and pull/push straight with the connectors, and as for the headband, this is a hidden blessing for the HD600. When it chips far enough you either buy a new one since they're modular (as noted by Brooko above), or better yet, look at it as an excuse to sand off the atrocious marble blue paint off all the parts that have them and repaint.

Alternately, there's plasti-dip also, so you can just cover it up and peel it off. Use matte-black initially, then when it starts peeling off and you used the plasti-dip for something else, might as well go and try another color and go from stealthy custom sleeper to outrageous "look at me! me! me!" Lambo orange for example. If you regret it, no problem - just peel it off, no need to sand it down.

Jun 14, 2016 at 12:55 AM Post #14,947 of 23,423
Hey, I like the marble.

Jun 14, 2016 at 2:38 AM Post #14,949 of 23,423
Hey, I like the marble.

It's a matter of taste of course, in the same manner that all my pants are more subdued, slightly darker colors (barring a few khaki shorts). If you like it, order a new headband. For the cheap guys who don't, there's sandpaper or plasti-dip.

Jun 14, 2016 at 4:16 AM Post #14,950 of 23,423

It's a matter of taste of course, in the same manner that all my pants are more subdued, slightly darker colors (barring a few khaki shorts). If you like it, order a new headband. For the cheap guys who don't, there's sandpaper or plasti-dip.

We do live in a great era where we have plenty of materials to customize to our hearts content. While I personally like the marble look, I encourage others to go with what they like best.

Jun 14, 2016 at 8:12 PM Post #14,952 of 23,423
  We do live in a great era where we have plenty of materials to customize to our hearts content. While I personally like the marble look, I encourage others to go with what they like best.

If I left it up to my GF, all headphones would look like the Edition 8 Julia that she had

Jun 15, 2016 at 9:36 AM Post #14,955 of 23,423

Users who are viewing this thread

Back