Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Jan 4, 2016 at 5:09 PM Post #13,247 of 23,425
  you may want to think about the burson Soloist SL. i've been in the market for an amp to pair with my HD 600's and did hours and hours of reading on amps, including those you mentioned.

the soloist SL - it's solid state so won't warm things up too much but i read that it is great for imaging and dynamics. mine will be arriving here tomorrow to test out with the HD 600's and T90's.

ok this amp is amazing. slight nuances to the music - adds a little bit of warmth, highs are a bit more tame, bass is super present yet detailed and fast. adds overall to the imaging and dynamics of the tracks. i'd say a just right tweak on the sound overall.

this is with about a few hours of burn-in. actually returning this unit as i discovered there is a mark II version of this amp, so returning this one and purchased the other. the difference is an extra bit of boost in the output power of the unit.

Jan 5, 2016 at 12:12 PM Post #13,248 of 23,425
I've had my hd-600's for a couple of months and am very, very pleased.  I really didn't know that sound of this quality could come from headphones.  I have played a number of musical instruments, mostly percussion, and am pretty picky when it comes to sound quality.  These things rock.  I have paired them with the oppo HA-2 and have been enjoying music via tidal.com.  Sometimes the sound is so good tears come to my eyes.  I mean really.  How good is that?

My hearty thanks to those who recommended the HD-600's.  I had been prepared to shell out a good deal more thinking that good sound could only be found with more $.  Wrong!  Anyway this leaves me considerably under budget for what I was expecting to pay and I would love to hear from those of you who have much more experience than myself what sorts of upgrades would be good for me to go for next.  

Thanks!

Jan 5, 2016 at 12:34 PM Post #13,249 of 23,425
I've had my hd-600's for a couple of months and am very, very pleased.  I really didn't know that sound of this quality could come from headphones.  I have played a number of musical instruments, mostly percussion, and am pretty picky when it comes to sound quality.  These things rock.  I have paired them with the oppo HA-2 and have been enjoying music via tidal.com.  Sometimes the sound is so good tears come to my eyes.  I mean really.  How good is that?

My hearty thanks to those who recommended the HD-600's.  I had been prepared to shell out a good deal more thinking that good sound could only be found with more $.  Wrong!  Anyway this leaves me considerably under budget for what I was expecting to pay and I would love to hear from those of you who have much more experience than myself what sorts of upgrades would be good for me to go for next.  

Thanks!
If you really enjoy the sennheiser sound. Go for the best and get the hd800S. I've had all of them, just recently sold the 700's. Still have the 600,650,&800's. I enjoy each of those phones as I'm constantly swapping from time to time. Depending on your source and amp. You may have to make some upgrades there also. they really are a treat to listen to. Imo they are that good. Enjoy

Jan 5, 2016 at 4:58 PM Post #13,250 of 23,425
Thanks Raybone.  That's a direction I wasn't considering.  Interesting.  I hadn't heard much about the 800's.  What kind of improvements would I hear?  I use two subwoofers in my regular system and have grown very used to deep bass.  You don't get that with the 600's and I am guessing you don't get that with any headphone though I may be wrong.  The other thing I would love to see is an improved soundstage.  The 600 is great but it does not have a similar sound stage to what my regular system provides. Again, I assumed that this was a function of headphones simply not being able to deliver a similar sort of sound and again I may be wrong.

Thanks for any feedback on this.

Jan 5, 2016 at 5:03 PM Post #13,251 of 23,425
  Thanks Raybone.  That's a direction I wasn't considering.  Interesting.  I hadn't heard much about the 800's.  What kind of improvements would I hear?  I use two subwoofers in my regular system and have grown very used to deep bass.  You don't get that with the 600's and I am guessing you don't get that with any headphone though I may be wrong.  The other thing I would love to see is an improved soundstage.  The 600 is great but it does not have a similar sound stage to what my regular system provides. Again, I assumed that this was a function of headphones simply not being able to deliver a similar sort of sound and again I may be wrong.

Thanks for any feedback on this.

No headphone will come close to speakers in terms of bass, not even against high-end reference speakers with a neutral bass. 

What are you looking in terms of soundstage? If you want a big soundstage, the HD800 will beat many speakers that cost alot more than the HD800. But if you want to simulate as if a live band is performing in front of you in the room, no headphone will be able to do that like speakers can.

Jan 5, 2016 at 5:59 PM Post #13,253 of 23,425
Thanks UBS28 -  Actually I am very pleased with the 600's and was just asking for ideas about upgrading.  Raybone suggested the 800's and I was curious to hear what sorts of improvements one might expect. 

Jan 5, 2016 at 6:14 PM Post #13,254 of 23,425
  Thanks UBS28 -  Actually I am very pleased with the 600's and was just asking for ideas about upgrading.  Raybone suggested the 800's and I was curious to hear what sorts of improvements one might expect. 

The Beyer T1.2 would also be a good choice. I have the T90, kinda the T1's baby brother and it's lovely. I switch between that and the HD600 regularly. 

Jan 5, 2016 at 6:38 PM Post #13,255 of 23,425
Yes the 800's are the best soundstage wise. The new 800S is supposed to have fixed the sibilance issue many people had an issue with. Also improved in the bass region from what I've read. I've got a large collection of phones so I can match music with each phone. I also have the T1 v1 here also. Fantastic headphone, very balanced throughout & very natural sounding. Can be bright on certain recordings but a great all arounder. Depends also on the type of music you mostly listen to and how much your willing to spend. Cheers

Jan 5, 2016 at 6:48 PM Post #13,256 of 23,425
Just to confirm, I can plug in my balanced TRRS cable into a non-balanced input jack without issues, correct? 

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that's a big fat negative.

Jan 5, 2016 at 9:19 PM Post #13,257 of 23,425
Any Canadians get a pair of HD600s recently? Amazon seems to only have Japan import stock and I'm looking to get it sooner rather than later, trying to find some good online retailers in Canada but a lot of them seem to have pretty bad reviews.

Jan 5, 2016 at 9:38 PM Post #13,258 of 23,425
How about B&H or Adorama? Do they ship to Canada?

Jan 5, 2016 at 9:48 PM Post #13,260 of 23,425
  They both do, but B&H has it for 560CAD when it should really be 430. Adorama is currently on back order.

Yeah, there are currently no deals anywhere. Only a full price $399, which seems excessive compared to $250 just couple months ago. I'm waiting for the prices to drop again myself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back