Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Dec 27, 2015 at 8:00 PM Post #13,203 of 23,425
If the music and and gear are right you just get drawn in. Not the latest episode and greatest, which cable sounds better. Nice to listen to the music. Especially with the HDs.

Dec 27, 2015 at 10:15 PM Post #13,204 of 23,425
Quote:

Yes. And I maintain that people of all generations can and do listen that way (i.e., both ways).

Well jsut to be clear it's not that I totally don't have any music playing when I'm working or browsing, but the thing is nearly 90% of the time that's on my gaming headphone and beater IEM, each of which don't even cost as much as a pair of replacement earpads for the HD600. When I do slap on the HD600 though 90% of my use on it I'm doing nothing but listening.

And to make my initial point clearer, my puzzlement about the whole thing was how there seems to be a disproportionate amount of money spent on a system used mostly for background music. It's kind of like how Hollywood execs are portrayed in movies and TV: they buy a convertible with a nicely tuned suspension, solid chassis, and powerful engine, but instead of driving in the twisty backroads, they're driving on city streets and freeways talking on their phones then tossing the keys to the valet. They can't even enjoy the sound of the engine, let alone the handling. Sure, that's how they were able to afford that thing, but given the scenes you'd have to wonder if they even drive them as intended at all.

Dec 28, 2015 at 12:45 AM Post #13,206 of 23,425

Well jsut to be clear it's not that I totally don't have any music playing when I'm working or browsing, but the thing is nearly 90% of the time that's on my gaming headphone and beater IEM, each of which don't even cost as much as a pair of replacement earpads for the HD600. When I do slap on the HD600 though 90% of my use on it I'm doing nothing but listening.

And to make my initial point clearer, my puzzlement about the whole thing was how there seems to be a disproportionate amount of money spent on a system used mostly for background music. It's kind of like how Hollywood execs are portrayed in movies and TV: they buy a convertible with a nicely tuned suspension, solid chassis, and powerful engine, but instead of driving in the twisty backroads, they're driving on city streets and freeways talking on their phones then tossing the keys to the valet. They can't even enjoy the sound of the engine, let alone the handling. Sure, that's how they were able to afford that thing, but given the scenes you'd have to wonder if they even drive them as intended at all.

why wouldn't you browse with your HD 600's on?

Dec 28, 2015 at 1:05 AM Post #13,207 of 23,425
Quote:
Originally Posted by PixelSquish /img/forum/go_quote.gif
why wouldn't you browse with your HD 600's on?

Reason 1 : The headphone I use for my gaming rig and  the IEM on my work laptop are each cheaper than a pair of earpads.

Reason 2 : They're in separate systems, and long cables are a mess, and my name is not Reed Richards much less Mr.Fantastic. I also don't play Portal, much less actually own a portal device, so my hand can appear where my server is or rout cables through a portal.
Gaming System - Xonar U3 + Superlux HD330
Work laptop - laptop + Ibasso D-Zero + Aurisonics ASG-1.3 or VSonic VSD3
Reference rig - Android music server + Meier Cantate.2 + HD600

------------------

Apart from those, it's not really that I won't, in totality - I mean there's at least that 10% - but in prior posts I already explained that if I spend that much on the playback system I'll damn well pay as much attention to it barring not being aware that the house is burning down, rather than half listen and half not listen to something I spent a chunk of money on. And that was the start of that exchange, if you'd go trace it back - it really goes more to how disproportionate the distracted listening is to focused listening. In my particular case, the price of the earpads plus international shipping plus customs agents' ransom money makes the pads too expensive, while the isolation of the IEMs lets me focus on work and what music plays just adds tempo or relaxes me, and then there's the fact that I dont have a portal gun and I haven't been exposed to gamma rays.

Dec 28, 2015 at 10:29 PM Post #13,209 of 23,425

Not EXACTLY 
wink_face.gif
 off topic but very close.

Dec 28, 2015 at 11:40 PM Post #13,212 of 23,425
If your only amp is the nx1 like your profile says, you may be underwhelmed. But at least you know in advance:) start shopping amps

i might get the magni 2 Fiio K5 or vali subminiature hybrid or if anybody have good amp around $100 or so for the hd600

Dec 29, 2015 at 12:03 PM Post #13,214 of 23,425
Finally got all pieces to the balanced cable upgrade. I've been using it this morning. So I think the sound is smoother and richer with the balanced cable. It's like going from 16 bit to 24 bit audio. Not jaw dropping noticeable but noticeable enough for a nice pleasant little upgrade.

Edit: a subtle 35% improvement. I keep listening and the sound is smoother and more "meaty" at the same time. Sounds amazing. Again, not knock you over improvement but very nice improvement you can definitely hear and appreciate.

There was either burn in on the wires or my brain adjusted. Unsure which. Does it matter at this point? No. I hear what I hear and it makes me happy.

About the only other thing I could do at this point is mod the headphones or change the power source to a "clean" unit. I've pretty much reached the ceiling with this set up.

Unless others have suggestions.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back