Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Jul 11, 2015 at 1:30 PM Post #12,031 of 23,425
  Maybe it's like you said earlier there are variations and my HD 600 just isn't that good because it was like that compared to both HD 650's I owned, my HD 600 sounds slightly veiled, smeared, and congested compared to all my other headphones and the soundstage isn't that big, plenty of depth but the width is pretty bad. I tried it on better systems than mine and it still had the issue, either my HD 600 isn't very good or my ears don't agree with it's sound.

That's weird - the HD6x0 have better width than depth, something you'd get a lot more of from the HD800. As for the "smeared" presentation, I get that from worn out earpads and wearing them tight. Regardless of which one I use I apply a wideband -2dB to -4dB cut centered at 100hz.

Jul 11, 2015 at 4:12 PM Post #12,032 of 23,425
That's weird - the HD6x0 have better width than depth, something you'd get a lot more of from the HD800. As for the "smeared" presentation, I get that from worn out earpads and wearing them tight. Regardless of which one I use I apply a wideband -2dB to -4dB cut centered at 100hz.

I don't know what any of this means, but it sounds interesting. Can you elaborate?

Jul 11, 2015 at 4:48 PM Post #12,033 of 23,425

I find my HD 650 is well balanced in depth and width. The HD 600 is almost like listening to a tunnel where there isn't much width but has good depth. 

That is very strange I think. 
confused_face(1).gif
 HD600 has a very airy soundstage. It is absolutely never congested. The soundstage of AKG k701 that I recently owned is actually quite comparable. The nice thing with HD600 is its natural timbre and tone of the instruments. I haven't yet heard a headphone having that lifelike character to the sound. My HD650 sounds a little "woolly" overall in comparison. My HD600 probably doesn't have a soundstage as big and open as my K501, but hey, what other headphone has 
rolleyes.gif

It is strange because it's soundstage is less airy and much less wide than my HD 650's, my HD 600 sounds woolier yet brigher than my HD 650. I'm not sure what's going on with my pair, I've tried the newer pads from the HD 650, wore them looser, and even tried the much wider and less clampy headband from the HD 545 yet it still has these characteristics to it's sound. I'm beginning to think something is wrong with them, which really sucks because my HD 650 has a defective left driver(which I am going to send in for repair), seems both my Senns are bad. I don't know why I have such bad luck with Sennheisers in terms of getting bad units or them breaking as the majority of Senns I've owned had issues.

Jul 11, 2015 at 11:22 PM Post #12,034 of 23,425

I find my HD 650 is well balanced in depth and width. The HD 600 is almost like listening to a tunnel where there isn't much width but has good depth. 

My comparison of the instrument separation in terms of soundstage depth is that the HD800 is a lot better on both, but in terms of the HD600 vs HD650, on my music, there isn't much difference apart from a slight advantage in depth to the HD600.

Quote:
I don't know what any of this means, but it sounds interesting. Can you elaborate?

That's weird - the HD6x0 have better width than depth, something you'd get a lot more of from the HD800.

Basically that I hear a precise enough separation of instruments in the Left to Right image (width), but I don't hear the drums pushed farther back from the rest of the band, whereas the HD800 is a little wider but considerably deeper. Here's a diagram: HD6x0 in blue, HD800 in red, triangles are vocals, rectangles are (electric) guitars and bass, circles (apart from the head) are drums.

As for the "smeared" presentation, I get that from worn out earpads and wearing them tight.

I mean that instruments are much harder to locate. Here's an HD6x0 on new earpads in blue, with the worn earpads and tight headband in orange. Note how there are more circles and rectangles, because they're all over in that smaller area, ie, congested.

Regardless of which one I use I apply a wideband -2dB to -4dB cut centered at 100hz.

Read up on How to EQ, particularly Q-factor, here: https://howtoeq.wordpress.com/2010/10/07/q-factor-and-bandwidth-in-eq-what-it-all-means/

Then, if you're using an Android or iOS device as a USB audio server, on NeutronMusicPlayer's EQ:
Center Frequency: 100hz
Q-Factor: 1.0 (lower number, wider effect)
Gain: -2 to -4

Just look for a "parametric EQ" program or plug-in if you're using a desktop/laptop.

Jul 11, 2015 at 11:31 PM Post #12,035 of 23,425
  Maybe it's like you said earlier there are variations and my HD 600 just isn't that good because it was like that compared to both HD 650's I owned, my HD 600 sounds slightly veiled, smeared, and congested compared to all my other headphones and the soundstage isn't that big, plenty of depth but the width is pretty bad. I tried it on better systems than mine and it still had the issue, either my HD 600 isn't very good or my ears don't agree with it's sound.

I`ve had 2 pairs of HD 600`s at completely different times and I agree with you.
IMO this signature contributes to their relatively forgiving nature which can be a good thing.

Regarding the hd 650, I really enjoyed (when in the mood) them at times.They seem to take the forgiving factor to another level of flattery.
At the same time, I listen to mostly acoustic music and they felt quite bloated in the low end to me.
They can have an almost narcotic quality IMO that can lull me like soft down pillows(or something 
redface.gif
).
The bass is also quite exciting for me with orchestral thunderings sometimes.

I definitely feel the hd600 is more true to natural tone.
Sometimes the 600`s mids create a wonderful natural sounding timbre to the table that is most rare indeed in the headphone world 
bigsmile_face.gif
Quite neutral but more "natural" as the saying goes....

Regarding neutral, part of the reason I doubt the neutrality(especially of the treble) is I spend a good deal of time in concert halls listening to live classical music.
The highs(in concert) almost always aggravate my tinnitus and cause ringing after the fact.
The senns don`t do this, even at crazy loud levels.
That being said, i just spent 2 weeks with an hd800 and they definitely spiked my tinnitus.
My 2 cents 
smile.gif

Jul 11, 2015 at 11:48 PM Post #12,036 of 23,425

I`ve had 2 pairs of HD 600`s at completely different times and I agree with you.
IMO this signature contributes to their relatively forgiving nature which can be a good thing.

Regarding the hd 650, I really enjoyed (when in the mood) them at times.They seem to take the forgiving factor to another level of flattery.
At the same time, I listen to mostly acoustic music and they felt quite bloated in the low end to me.
They can have an almost narcotic quality IMO that can lull me like soft down pillows(or something 
redface.gif
).
The bass is also quite exciting for me with orchestral thunderings sometimes.

I definitely feel the hd600 is more true to natural tone.
Sometimes the 600`s mids create a wonderful natural sounding timbre to the table that is most rare indeed in the headphone world 
bigsmile_face.gif
Quite neutral but more "natural" as the saying goes....

Regarding neutral, part of the reason I doubt the neutrality(especially of the treble) is I spend a good deal of time in concert halls listening to live classical music.
The highs(in concert) almost always aggravate my tinnitus and cause ringing after the fact.
The senns don`t do this, even at crazy loud levels.
That being said, i just spent 2 weeks with an hd800 and they definitely spiked my tinnitus.
My 2 cents 
smile.gif

So basically you find that is just the HD 600's sound signature? The HD 600 has excellent tonality and timbre, but sadly it doesn't seem to have the fidelity of the HD 650. I just wish the HD 600 had a higher level of fidelity, it's clarity isn't up to my standards it seems, that or my system has bad synergy with the headphone. The HD 650 does have an almost narcotic quality to it for sure and also quite euphoric, so far only the DT 150 of what I have owned is more narcotic and euphoric sounding, those vocals...

The HD 800 treble was a bit much for me, it took the right system for me to even like the headphone.

Jul 12, 2015 at 12:07 AM Post #12,037 of 23,425
Thanks, ProtegeManiac. That was a thorough reply.

I was confused by this part...

I get that from worn out earpads and wearing them tight. Regardless of which one I use I apply a wideband -2dB to -4dB cut centered at 100hz.

Because it sounded like this "wideband" dB cutting thing was some sort of special earpad you installed on all your equipment.

I'm using foobar2000 on my desktop system, which is the only place I use the HD600. Is this a good system for EQ'ing?

Jul 12, 2015 at 12:18 AM Post #12,038 of 23,425
Quote:

I was confused by this part...
Because it sounded like this "wideband" dB cutting thing was some sort of special earpad you installed on all your equipment.

Oh i just meant that I use NeutronMP on both.

Quote:

I'm using foobar2000 on my desktop system, which is the only place I use the HD600. Is this a good system for EQ'ing?

I think the plug-in is only a graphic EQ, the problem with them is that they have preset bands with preset width effects. In a parametric you get fewer bands, but you get to select a frequency and how wide it can affect the other frequencies. NeutronMP's parametric EQ has the advantage of applying the DSP at the software level using the processor of a smartphone or tablet, instead of a dedicated DSP chip, which in turn allows for selecting the specific frequency you need instead of a few preset choices.

Jul 12, 2015 at 12:25 AM Post #12,039 of 23,425
  So basically you find that is just the HD 600's sound signature?

I suppose, but that`s just my subjective feelings on the matter.

Perhaps slightly unrelated but I still find the hd600 to be a wonderful compromise between technical performance/cost/neutrality/naturalness/forgiveness.
I can easily see how someone looking for any of these qualities could be completely satisfied by it.

Jul 12, 2015 at 3:46 AM Post #12,040 of 23,425
  So basically you find that is just the HD 600's sound signature? The HD 600 has excellent tonality and timbre, but sadly it doesn't seem to have the fidelity of the HD 650. I just wish the HD 600 had a higher level of fidelity, it's clarity isn't up to my standards it seems

We should just agree upon that this is your personal and subjective point of view described with words that you find suitable. Not a definitive description of how these headphones actually sound. (It is still possible something is wrong with your pair)  
smily_headphones1.gif

Many people on this board feel quite the opposite. If great tonality and timbre, naturalness, neutralness and flat frequency response are not high fidelity then I don't know what is. We could also conclude that the way HD650 colors the sound is quite opposite to high fidelity. 
wink.gif
  I have them both. Both are nice headphones but with HD600 you get beautiful and euphoric sound, great tonality and neutralness, nice imaging and airiness all in one package. HD650 just sounds bloated in the lower regions and colored and, imho, a step further from the true high fidelity compared to HD600.

HD650 are still very enjoyable headphones if you want to relax (and fall asleep
L3000.gif
 to your music) Just my 2 cents 
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back