Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Jun 9, 2021 at 9:33 PM Post #21,496 of 23,417
Nevermind, ignore post.

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2021 at 5:08 PM Post #21,498 of 23,417
saw an HD600 for sale, should I keep my Oppo PM2 or go for it?

I guess go for it as I love the 600 series but just keep in mind of the tonality difference between your planar Oppo PM2s and the dynamic HD 600s, it will take a little while to get used to a new tonality after hearing your PM2s for a while.

Jun 10, 2021 at 5:16 PM Post #21,500 of 23,417
I guess go for it as I love the 600 series but just keep in mind of the tonality difference between your planar Oppo PM2s and the dynamic HD 600s, it will take a little while to get used to a new tonality after hearing your PM2s for a while.
How much is the tonality difference between them? I thought that they're both very mid-centric from what I found on the Internet. Never listen to a Senn before, so I could only describe the PM2 as having thick mids but lacking in other regions, and they sound the best through my piano compared to my other pairs.

Jun 10, 2021 at 5:22 PM Post #21,501 of 23,417
How much is the tonality difference between them? I thought that they're both very mid-centric from what I found on the Internet. Never listen to a Senn before, so I could only describe the PM2 as having thick mids but lacking in other regions, and they sound the best through my piano compared to my other pairs.

I never had the PM2 (I had the PM3) so I don't have any personal experience with it but to put it short and simple, the HD600 and HD650 both shine in the mids, the HD 600 has a bit less bass in general but more lower treble energy than the HD 650 and the latter has more mid bass and slightly smoother treble than the 600.

Both scale well with amps and have nice resolution for the price.

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2021 at 5:28 PM Post #21,503 of 23,417
Nothing does tenor sax like the HD600 on tubes.
...or baritone sax (Art Pepper), alto sax (Charlie Parker, Sonny Stitt), soprano sax (John Coltrane, Dave Liebman)...

Jun 10, 2021 at 5:38 PM Post #21,505 of 23,417
I never had the PM2 (I had the PM3) so I don't have any personal experience with it but to put it short and simple, the HD600 and HD650 both shine in the mids, the HD 600 has a bit less bass in general but more lower treble energy than the HD 650 and the latter has more mid bass and slightly smoother treble than the 600.

Both scale well with amps and have nice resolution for the price.
Good to know that the HD600 leans towards the brighter region as all the other headphones I'd tried were kinda bass-heavy.

I had limited experience with high-end products, having only demoed the Audio-Technica ADX5000 once and had been chasing for its "light bass and clear detailed brillance" sound ever since. I see that you have the Focal Clear which is often recommended alongside ADX5000. How would you describe it compared to the HD600/650?

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2021 at 6:03 PM Post #21,506 of 23,417
Good to know that the HD600 leans towards the brighter region as all the other headphones I'd tried were kinda bass-heavy.

I had limited experience with high-end products, having only demoed the Audio-Technica ADX5000 once and had been chasing for its "light bass and clear detailed brillance" sound ever since. I see that you have the Focal Clear which is often recommended alongside ADX5000. How would you describe it compared to the HD600/650?

Again, I'm not gonna go too into detail, but according to my tastes, I felt the Focal Clears sounded too "closed in" even though the tonality wasn't so bad. It was mostly the soundstage that killed it for me, it is less musical and more resolving in the upper mids. It did not have the character of the HD 650s, others might swear by it but I gave it 4 weeks and noted it's great characteristics and then sold it. I then bought a HD6xx again as I realized how much I missed the tonality of the 600s.

Jun 11, 2021 at 1:21 AM Post #21,508 of 23,417
Experiences and opinions on HD 600 paired with iFi iDSD micro Black Label?
They sound fine with them when I had the HD600. The XBass boost doesn't add the good bass impact that I was looking for with them and tends to tilt the tonality to being warmer than what I think sounds best for them. I would leave them off with the HD600 at least.

Jun 14, 2021 at 8:07 AM Post #21,509 of 23,417
They sound fine with them when I had the HD600. The XBass boost doesn't add the good bass impact that I was looking for with them and tends to tilt the tonality to being warmer than what I think sounds best for them. I would leave them off with the HD600 at least.
Agreed. I do not like XBass boost of iDSD micro BL too.

Again, I'm not gonna go too into detail, but according to my tastes, I felt the Focal Clears sounded too "closed in" even though the tonality wasn't so bad. It was mostly the soundstage that killed it for me, it is less musical and more resolving in the upper mids. It did not have the character of the HD 650s, others might swear by it but I gave it 4 weeks and noted it's great characteristics and then sold it. I then bought a HD6xx again as I realized how much I missed the tonality of the 600s.
I tend to agree, HD600 has a wider soundstage than HD650, it's neutral thus I could hear and distinguish variety of music instruments particularly from symphony and orchestra pieces. If a good recording, I could even hear the depth of the instrument placing than HD650. HD600 is not a fun headphone but more for critical listening for accuracy IMO.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back