Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
May 18, 2021 at 4:42 PM Post #21,451 of 23,425
The HD-600 (with Custom Cans UK mods) has always been in my listening rotation, particularly with an OTL tube h/p amplifier (Woo Audio WA3)👍. Now it has a bigger wardrobe...second picture...Tyll Hertsens had the HD-600 on the Inner Fidelity Wall of Fame, and it is on my inner ear wall of fame...
C31DE2C7-822E-4B72-8669-93FD8A2FA77A.jpeg7E26BC6D-5E2A-4B88-9A25-F0024E6F7ADB.jpeg

Very nice, replaced original foam - check, Dekoni fenestrated leather pads - check, legendary marble design - check. Now you need one single additional mod, the 660S grills. :)

20200622_215700.jpg

May 18, 2021 at 7:38 PM Post #21,452 of 23,425
The HD-600 (with Custom Cans UK mods) has always been in my listening rotation, particularly with an OTL tube h/p amplifier (Woo Audio WA3)👍. Now it has a bigger wardrobe...second picture...Tyll Hertsens had the HD-600 on the Inner Fidelity Wall of Fame, and it is on my inner ear wall of fame...
I’m probably in the minority but I’ve always liked & still prefer the marble/ kitchen counter paint job on the original HD600. BTW, nice ear pads.

Last edited:
May 18, 2021 at 8:22 PM Post #21,453 of 23,425
I’m probably in the minority but I’ve always liked & still prefer the marble/ kitchen counter paint job on the original HD600. BTW, nice ear pads.

I remember before the 2019 update, people frequently complained that the marble finish on the HD600s looked tacky and outdated.

Now, it's becoming a sought-after collector's item.

May 18, 2021 at 11:37 PM Post #21,454 of 23,425
Dekoni fenestrated sheepskin.

May 19, 2021 at 12:57 AM Post #21,455 of 23,425
Thanks for the link. The hard core measurement guys definitely have a different way of looking at things. The two phones have always sounded similar but clearly different to me. Which one I like the best will change from day to day though.
“Looking at things” ===> sine waves/square waves/distortion graphs. These only confirm or rebut stated electrical performance claims.

May 20, 2021 at 12:15 PM Post #21,456 of 23,425
So, I pulled out the HD600 again after nearly a year. My other headphones (Clear MG, HE-500, R70x, HD58X) were getting all the listening time, that is until now!

The magic of the 600 is real, and I can't believe I waited so long to use them again. I was using the HD58X instead this past year for casual listening, but the 600 does midrange timbre and realism like no other. I still find them a bit forward in the upper mids, at least with new pads. But with a little EQ, it's nearly perfect. I still really like the 58X for it's warmer quality and better extended bass, but the midrange and treble timbre on the 600 is just unmatched.

I've played in orchestras and wind ensembles for many years, and to me the HD600 really makes instruments and voices sound like the real thing, as long as the recording is of good quality. Can't say that about many headphones!

May 20, 2021 at 1:48 PM Post #21,457 of 23,425
May 20, 2021 at 3:16 PM Post #21,458 of 23,425
How do they sound compared to the stock pads?
The Dekoni fenestrated sheepskin pads keep the overall balance intact as I hear it. The bass does not have any appreciable “bump” which would give ‘false’ bass; midrange magic, scale, and timbre are preserved; and the treble is smooth and extended. I chose these Dekoni for their feel; because they are thicker than the stock pads, the soundstage is a bit wider since the earspeakers are a bit further from my ears.

May 20, 2021 at 3:22 PM Post #21,459 of 23,425
The Dekoni fenestrated sheepskin pads keep the overall balance intact as I hear it. The bass does not have any appreciable “bump” which would give ‘false’ bass; midrange magic, scale, and timbre are preserved; and the treble is smooth and extended. I chose these Dekoni for their feel; because they are thicker than the stock pads, the soundstage is a bit wider since the earspeakers are a bit further from my ears.
That's good to hear! Keeping overall balance intact while increasing soundstage width sounds like a win/win to me. I'm definitely going to have to give them a try.

May 21, 2021 at 2:44 AM Post #21,460 of 23,425
Dekoni fenestrated sheepskin.
I ordered two pairs from Dekoni. What the hell, I don’t drink, I don’t smoke and I’m at home 90% of the time due to the lockdowns up here in Canada. I’m also retired so, I’m indulging in my hobby pleasure. I had the fenestrated sheepskin Dekoni’s on the last HD800 I owned earlier this year [sold recently] & I quite liked them. Dekoni is also sending me a “Free of Charge” HD600 headband. Also, since I use both headphones regularly I‘ve been replacing the velvet or velour [?] pads regularly & the ”authentic” Senns pads are expensive. I figure the FenSheeps will last longer/ keep their form longer. Something to look forward to.

Last edited:
May 21, 2021 at 5:06 AM Post #21,461 of 23,425
I ordered two pairs from Dekoni. What the hell, I don’t drink, I don’t smoke and I’m at home 90% of the time due to the lockdowns up here in Canada. I’m also retired so, I’m indulging in my hobby pleasure. I had the fenestrated sheepskin Dekoni’s on the last HD800 I owned earlier this year [sold recently] & I quite liked them. Dekoni is also sending me a “Free of Charge” HD600 headband. Also, since I use both headphones regularly I‘ve been replacing the velvet pads regularly & the ”authentic” Senns pads are expensive. I figure the FenSheeps will last longer/ keep their form longer. Something to look forward to.

Come back and give us your impressions. I really like the Dekoni fenestrated sheepskin pads on all of my 6-series.

May 21, 2021 at 3:59 PM Post #21,462 of 23,425
I ordered two pairs from Dekoni. What the hell, I don’t drink, I don’t smoke and I’m at home 90% of the time due to the lockdowns up here in Canada. I’m also retired so, I’m indulging in my hobby pleasure. I had the fenestrated sheepskin Dekoni’s on the last HD800 I owned earlier this year [sold recently] & I quite liked them. Dekoni is also sending me a “Free of Charge” HD600 headband. Also, since I use both headphones regularly I‘ve been replacing the velvet or velour [?] pads regularly & the ”authentic” Senns pads are expensive. I figure the FenSheeps will last longer/ keep their form longer. Something to look forward to.
And one topic that I forgot to mention: the Dekoni fenestrated sheepskin pads are very easy to clean - damp cloth with/without mild soap...

May 21, 2021 at 7:47 PM Post #21,463 of 23,425
And one topic that I forgot to mention: the Dekoni fenestrated sheepskin pads are very easy to clean - damp cloth with/without mild soap...
Thanks for passing that on Jonathan. I like to keep my ear pads clean. BTW, not that it’s important but I noticed, I forgot to indicate why I bought two pairs of Dekoni FenSheeps : I own the HD600 & HD650.

May 21, 2021 at 9:12 PM Post #21,464 of 23,425
Never paid attention to ASR, glad of it. What bloody rubbish re: 600 and 650. Starting with your basic decent Denon Int Amp of the mid 90's and your basic $250 Sony CD with the 600 and 650 - easy to tell the difference then - with no headphone war polluting my judgement, to radically better equipment the last 5 years. The 650 has a "warm/underdamped" upper bass which makes very good recordings sound muddy and also make low male voices chestier. While the 600 can be a little bright, the overall felling is one of transparency, whereas the 650 sounds yes relaxed and also veiled and dark. Even the minor changes between the measured FR can explain much of it. The rest - ringing, odd order harmonics, etc.

I run my 600 on a Rag 1 with a balanced out, and its a pale experience compared to the BHOC w/ speedball using RCA in. Try it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back