Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Sep 13, 2012 at 8:35 PM Post #1,771 of 21,708

Lorspeaker

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Nov 29, 2010
Posts
7,277
Likes
520
not sure if u can get a dacportLX for 200 in the resale, but the hd600 sounded v clear n well controlled with it.
popcorn.gif

it can power my  600ohms dt770 without issues too...though i must push the volume to near max on my macbook/itune.
 
Sep 13, 2012 at 9:56 PM Post #1,774 of 21,708

thecansmancan

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Apr 24, 2012
Posts
445
Likes
21
Quote:
Include the SRH 840.

I've got the 840. I wouldn't say it necessarily has more detail. It's a simdge more colored; mid emphasis, slight. The bass is more evident. But this is to be  expected as its open vs. closed. The soundstage on the hd600 is better. As is it's air. I also believe the detail and texture of the hd 600 is better. Imo the hd 600 is a better headphone FOR ITS PURPOSE. The shures are fantastic isolaters/ leakage. Both fantastic headphones in their own respect. I have a full review on the shures here. Sorry it was an early production...needs a revist but it should help a bit.
 
Sep 13, 2012 at 9:59 PM Post #1,775 of 21,708
Joined
Jan 30, 2011
Posts
13,315
Likes
24,302
Have the HD600, DT880, K701 - had both the SRH840 and SRH940.
 
SRH940 defintiely gives you more upper end detail, is very quick - but lighter on the bass side - and build quality is very questionable (long term) ..... hinge cracking.  I personally didn't like them - but can see why others would.
 
SRH840 is actually reasonably similar to HD600 - slightly more forward mids, and a touch more sparkle - but bass isn't as good (can be a little boomy at times), and has nowhere near the timbre, soundstage, or spatial presence that the HD600 has.
 
DT880 is a great phone - quite flat, very slight elevation in bass and treble - mids appear to take slight background step.  Good at imaging.  Can be a bit dry/lifeless at times.  I found a tube amp helps.  Definitely more detail.
 
My personal pick would be Q701/K701/K702.  Very good soundstage and imaging.  A lot of detail.  Bass is there - but not the focus - less than the HD600 (no mid-bass hump).  Very fast.  Mids and highs more forward.  Very good (IMO) with classical, acoustic, folk and jazz.
 
Hope that helps.
 
Sep 13, 2012 at 10:38 PM Post #1,776 of 21,708

olear

500+ Head-Fier
Joined
Oct 28, 2011
Posts
804
Likes
13
Quote:
Have the HD600, DT880, K701 - had both the SRH840 and SRH940.
 
SRH940 defintiely gives you more upper end detail, is very quick - but lighter on the bass side - and build quality is very questionable (long term) ..... hinge cracking.  I personally didn't like them - but can see why others would.
 
SRH840 is actually reasonably similar to HD600 - slightly more forward mids, and a touch more sparkle - but bass isn't as good (can be a little boomy at times), and has nowhere near the timbre, soundstage, or spatial presence that the HD600 has.
 
DT880 is a great phone - quite flat, very slight elevation in bass and treble - mids appear to take slight background step.  Good at imaging.  Can be a bit dry/lifeless at times.  I found a tube amp helps.  Definitely more detail.
 
My personal pick would be Q701/K701/K702.  Very good soundstage and imaging.  A lot of detail.  Bass is there - but not the focus - less than the HD600 (no mid-bass hump).  Very fast.  Mids and highs more forward.  Very good (IMO) with classical, acoustic, folk and jazz.
 
Hope that helps.

Seems the 940 for a closed can and DT880 for an open can are good candidates.
I will check out the AKG's. Thank you.
 
Quote:
I've got the 840. I wouldn't say it necessarily has more detail. It's a simdge more colored; mid emphasis, slight. The bass is more evident. But this is to be  expected as its open vs. closed. The soundstage on the hd600 is better. As is it's air. I also believe the detail and texture of the hd 600 is better. Imo the hd 600 is a better headphone FOR ITS PURPOSE. The shures are fantastic isolaters/ leakage. Both fantastic headphones in their own respect. I have a full review on the shures here. Sorry it was an early production...needs a revist but it should help a bit.

Thanks for the link to your reviews.
 
Sep 13, 2012 at 11:37 PM Post #1,777 of 21,708
Joined
Jan 30, 2011
Posts
13,315
Likes
24,302
Quote:
Seems the 940 for a closed can and DT880 for an open can are good candidates.
I will check out the AKG's. Thank you.

 
Make sure you actually try the 940 before buying.  I found it was a great can for female vocals, jazz, folk - even classical.  But I didn't like it for rock / alt/rock.  Something about it didn't gel for me.  Also - be very wary of the build quality.  Quite a few users now have stress fractures at the hinge after less than 2 years.  It was a good can to own for a few months - but I had no regrets selling mine.
 
Sep 14, 2012 at 6:34 PM Post #1,778 of 21,708

stephenbou

New Head-Fier
Joined
Feb 1, 2012
Posts
17
Likes
10
I've just got my first pair of HD600s in today and have done some very brief listening and comparison with the Q701s. Using a music streamer II and matrix m-stage.
 
I noticed that the bass detail is actually quite superior in the HD600. My test track was the first movement of Debussy's La Mer (Reiner with the CSO; if you don't have this recording, you are missing out -- trust me on this). The tympani start the movement playing quietly, and the details are fairly washed out in the Q701 but just lovely in the HD600. I'm looking forward to spending some more time with this headphone.
 
Sep 14, 2012 at 8:38 PM Post #1,780 of 21,708

palmfish

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Jul 9, 2011
Posts
2,633
Likes
155
Location
Seattle, WA
Quote:
I've just got my first pair of HD600s in today and have done some very brief listening and comparison with the Q701s. Using a music streamer II and matrix m-stage.
 
I noticed that the bass detail is actually quite superior in the HD600. My test track was the first movement of Debussy's La Mer (Reiner with the CSO; if you don't have this recording, you are missing out -- trust me on this). The tympani start the movement playing quietly, and the details are fairly washed out in the Q701 but just lovely in the HD600. I'm looking forward to spending some more time with this headphone.

 
Is that the RCA Living Stereo recording with The Pines and Fountains of Rome on it? The 3 channel SACD is something to behold, though I prefer the Respighi (I'm not the biggest Debussy fan).
 
Sep 14, 2012 at 8:47 PM Post #1,781 of 21,708

lejaz

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Nov 30, 2008
Posts
1,957
Likes
48
Quote:
I've just got my first pair of HD600s in today and have done some very brief listening and comparison with the Q701s. Using a music streamer II and matrix m-stage.
 
I noticed that the bass detail is actually quite superior in the HD600. My test track was the first movement of Debussy's La Mer (Reiner with the CSO; if you don't have this recording, you are missing out -- trust me on this). The tympani start the movement playing quietly, and the details are fairly washed out in the Q701 but just lovely in the HD600. I'm looking forward to spending some more time with this headphone.

Wait until you compare the midrange with some brass, woodwinds, cello. Not saying which is superior....I have my own subjective preference....but they are very different in the portrayal of some midrange instruments and ensembles. I think you might enjoy the added richness and fullness the hd600 gives to the mids compared to the akg's.
 
Sep 16, 2012 at 3:18 AM Post #1,782 of 21,708

FlySweep

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Mar 8, 2010
Posts
2,816
Likes
268
Damn Senn.. I can't seem to quit you.  Had the HD580 for quite some time and loved it.. but sold it cause the HE-500 was hogging all my time.  While I still love the 500.. I just couldn't shake the desire to have that unmistakably smooth, Senn sound back.  So, I've gone and bought the HD600 from RazorDogDeals.
 
Any recco's for a reasonably priced SPC cable for it?
 
Sep 16, 2012 at 11:42 AM Post #1,783 of 21,708

Digital-Pride

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Nov 2, 2010
Posts
2,575
Likes
122
Quote:
Damn Senn.. I can't seem to quit you.  Had the HD580 for quite some time and loved it.. but sold it cause the HE-500 was hogging all my time.  While I still love the 500.. I just couldn't shake the desire to have that unmistakably smooth, Senn sound back.  So, I've gone and bought the HD600 from RazorDogDeals.
 
Any recco's for a reasonably priced SPC cable for it?

 
Cables, cables.
evil_smiley.gif
biggrin.gif

 
For that last bit of sound flavoring, I would suggest checking out Headroom's Cardas cables.  Or, you can experiment with making your own to save some cash.
 
Sep 16, 2012 at 1:26 PM Post #1,784 of 21,708

olear

500+ Head-Fier
Joined
Oct 28, 2011
Posts
804
Likes
13
Quote:
Have the HD600, DT880, K701 - had both the SRH840 and SRH940.
 
SRH940 defintiely gives you more upper end detail, is very quick - but lighter on the bass side - and build quality is very questionable (long term) ..... hinge cracking.  I personally didn't like them - but can see why others would.
 
SRH840 is actually reasonably similar to HD600 - slightly more forward mids, and a touch more sparkle - but bass isn't as good (can be a little boomy at times), and has nowhere near the timbre, soundstage, or spatial presence that the HD600 has.
 
DT880 is a great phone - quite flat, very slight elevation in bass and treble - mids appear to take slight background step.  Good at imaging.  Can be a bit dry/lifeless at times.  I found a tube amp helps.  Definitely more detail.
 
My personal pick would be Q701/K701/K702.  Very good soundstage and imaging.  A lot of detail.  Bass is there - but not the focus - less than the HD600 (no mid-bass hump).  Very fast.  Mids and highs more forward.  Very good (IMO) with classical, acoustic, folk and jazz.
 
Hope that help
 

Would the K701/702 work well with rock and pop?
I find the HD600 to sound superb and velvety smooth with jazz, and classical, but lacking for rock.
 
Anyone who has any of the above cans also have or listened to the IEM, SM3?  or UM3X, EX1000 or FX700?
 
Sep 16, 2012 at 3:41 PM Post #1,785 of 21,708

anoxy

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Aug 14, 2011
Posts
1,556
Likes
76
Can somebody make up my mind for me please!
 
I'm trying to make my first desktop DAC/Amp purchase to use with my iMac and HD600. I've been considering:
Yulong D100
Nuforce Icon HD or HDP
iBasso D12
Audinst HUD-mx1
 
I'm leaning towards the Nuforce for convenience sake because I can get it on Amazon, but if the others are leagues ahead of it, I will seriously consider them. 
Somebody please help me, my head hurts from researching on these forums so much haha
 

Users who are viewing this thread

  • Top